Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I just don’t see that happening in 2021. Your cruise ship has a Covid outbreak among children that is impaired from spreading to its adult population? So do 900 elementary schools with vaccinated teachers (in this not too distant future). In any case, come dock in Florida where the majority of the population seems to be trying to end the pandemic by letting it run its course.

Also we’re not, last I checked, even planning to age the vaccine down past 6 year olds. So DCL seriously cannot wait because they could literally be waiting forever.

But that’s the problem...because we’re talking about floating Petri dishes...NOT schools and essentials on land.

We’ll have to see it play...but I don’t think Disney will ever say “meh...close enough...let’s sail!!”

That is just not who they are. People are equating wdw - a situation with ONLY us citizens, largely local and what’s not high earners from largely suburban areas - with everything else.

I think it’s a bigger deal for cruises. They’re all still selling them (though not many takers) to try and put fake revenue on the books, and cancelling behind it in a rolling sequential order.

Remember their workforce is 100% non-American as well and our borders are unofficially sealed.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

I wouldn't say it is "ridiculous." It's likely difficulty in getting enough people to sign their kids up for a trial. They need to study a minimum number of people and even the placebo group has to agree as if they are getting the real thing.
Agreed. It must be really tough to get parents to have their kids be part o it. I mean there’s a good amount of people who say they won’t get it at all so the kids are out. Then you have the ones that are on the fence but still going to get it but won’t let their children be a part of it. Thins the herd of who would actually be part of the trials. Which means in the end maybe more time to get data.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, a matter of prioritization as well as safety.

But here is the thing — the danger to children has both been overplayed by some and underplayed by others.
Children are in fact less likely to contract symptomatic disease, and are less likely to transmit it.
Yes kids can get it.. they can transmit it.. they can die or contract serious complications. But their numbers are already reduced compared to adults.
It’s almost as if kids are already vaccinated with a minimally effective vaccine.

Let’s remember — herd immunity protects the entire herd, not just those that get vaccinated. (Probably the greatest misunderstanding is people thinking they take safety measures to protect themselves... but masks, social distancing, and even vaccines... are often more about protecting others even more than protecting yourself).

If we vaccinate enough adults... we can effective eradicate Covid before we even start vaccinating kids.

But that’s why we can rip off the masks the moment optional vaccines become available. Need to continue the extra weeks (hopefully not months) until we actually reach herd immunity or something very close to it.

Going back to basics, it’s about reducing the R0. When the R0 is >1, infection numbers rise. It’s the equivalent of putting your foot on the gas. R0 <1, it’s foot on the brakes, cases drop.
I am currently teaching my son to drive. He had been pressing the brakes too hard... I had to teach him that even lightly tapping the brakes will gradually bring you to a complete and total stop.

For the last year, we’ve been dancing around R0=1. February, we didn’t even know Covid was around in the US, R0=2, cases secretly exploding in the US. Started mitigation measures... R0=0.8... cases dropped. People get together for holidays... restrictions get relaxed... R0 rises to 1.3... many of those who ignores restrictions eventually get some degree of immunity when they get infected.. others become more cautious, R0 of 0.85.

If you vaccinate enough adults. That R0 falls more. You keep masks a little longer, the R0 falls even more. On the other hand, if you drop masks while an insufficient number of people are vaccinated — R0 goes back over 1.

But enough adults vaccinated combined with continued mitigation measures— R0 falls SIGNIFICANTLY under 1.0... when it falls to 0.1.. 0.2... Covid basically disappears in a matter of weeks. Kids and adults become safe.

And getting back to cruise lines... they can adequately protect themselves and guests for now by requiring adults to be vaccinated and kids to have a negative Covid test.

I’m not saying there’s any danger to kids. I’m saying it’s gonna be awhile due to logistics.

You seem to be pretty jittery/preachy on this thread these last couple of weeks. Including some friendly fire (I’m a free agent and slave to the logical apparent truth)...so cease fire sometimes.

Attacking goof goof might have been a bridge too far.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Cruise revenue is not recognized until and unless they sail. Taking bookings increases Cash, but not Revenue.

Ok...but taking reservations is a show to the street that you have demand/potential revenues. And as we’ve discussed a bazillion Times (Disney stock when 80% of their business took a massive hit last year)...its all a “confidence” game now. It is what it is.

DisneyDebRob

But that’s the problem...because we’re talking about floating Petro dishes...NOT schools and essentials on land.

We’ll have to see it play...but I don’t think Disney will ever say “meh...close enough...let’s sail!!”

That is just not who they are. People are equating wdw - a situation with ONLY us citizens, largely local and what’s not high earners from largely suburban areas - with everything else.

I think it’s a bigger deal for cruises. They’re all still selling them (though not many takers) to try and put fake revenue on the books, and cancelling behind it in a rolling sequential order.

Remember their workforce is 100% non-American as well and our borders are unofficially sealed.
We had some here saying DCL would have been starting up back in may-June of last year. Then they switched their opinions every month and said the next month. Cruise lines may be the absolute last thing to come back unless the want to sail with the passport thing that’s been thrown around. They are worse then a Petri dish.
You are correct.. Disney is booking away and canceling as they go along. My wife just keeps canceling her clients.. and there’s a few set for August that they are worried about with the magic not sailing, as of now until August 10.

correcaminos

By the standards of most drugs or medical procedures, those are all cheap! But the low cost of the Oxford/AZ vaccine does stand out.
And to me the Moderna cost stands out the other way. My husband's 1st dose yesterday (scored a last minute no show) of Moderna is nearly as much as my two Pfizer-BioNTech. Crazy the cost differences

All this cruise talk and shots makes me glad that 1) we don't cruise and 2) having teen only is in our favor soon anyway.

havoc315

I’m not saying there’s any danger to kids. I’m saying it’s gonna be awhile due to logistics.

You seem to be pretty jittery/preachy on this thread these last couple of weeks. Including some friendly fire (I’m a free agent and slave to the logical apparent truth)...so cease fire sometimes.

Attacking goof goof might have been a bridge too far.

Maybe. I tend to get passionate. But he pushed too far with lying and distorting my statements. I’ve been passionate, but always entirely truthful and transparent.

And honestly, I get a bit triggered by the recklessness of some who have caused way too much death and suffering in my family and community.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We had some here saying DCL would have been starting up back in may-June of last year. Then they switched their opinions every month and said the next month. Cruise lines may be the absolute last thing to come back unless the want to sail with the passport thing that’s been thrown around. They are worse then a Petri dish.
You are correct.. Disney is booking away and canceling as they go along. My wife just keeps canceling her clients.. and there’s a few set for August that they are worried about with the magic not sailing, as of now until August 10.

Hey...I get the desire to return to normalcy. I can’t fault anyone for that...even the loud and boisterous that didn’t really consider the severity of the situation. I get it.

The downplayers and hoaxers though...that’s off the map. I always consider these forums to be the island of misfit toys - “everyone has a place”...my abrasive self included.

But the hoax stuff...being drug along by awful pundits on tv...that’s the line

“You can go now Sir/Madam”

It is what it is. Back to normal programming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe. I tend to get passionate. But he pushed too far with lying and distorting my statements. I’ve been passionate, but always entirely truthful and transparent.

And honestly, I get a bit triggered by the recklessness of some who have caused way too much death and suffering in my family and community.

Maybe...but it seems (and not just to me)...that you were firing back on your own ranks on this one.

That is not a denier or hoaxer...maybe too Disney apologist...but that’s no unusual thing here 😉

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And to me the Moderna cost stands out the other way. My husband's 1st dose yesterday (scored a last minute no show) of Moderna is nearly as much as my two Pfizer-BioNTech. Crazy the cost differences

All this cruise talk and shots makes me glad that 1) we don't cruise and 2) having teen only is in our favor soon anyway.

I think in the grand scheme of modern medical costs...none are that pricey. Drop in the bucket all things considered.

havoc315

Maybe...but it seems (and not just to me)...that you were firing back on your own ranks on this one.

That is not a denier or hoaxer...maybe too Disney apologist...but that’s no unusual thing here 😉

I get it. I wasn’t “firing back” with any malice... just reacting a bit too quickly and passionately. And I do take this opportunity to apologize to anyone if they felt like I was unfairly attacking them. Tone and context can often get lost in these exchanges.

DisneyDebRob

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So she knew exactly what she was doing by her own words. Just sad.

Of course they knew exactly what they were doing. Florida is gonna Floriduh.

Their fearless leader is vying for the vacated title of Patron Saint of Fools

DisneyCane

Of course they knew exactly what they were doing. Florida is gonna Floriduh.

Their fearless leader is vying for the vacated title of Patron Saint of Fools
Do you honestly believe that no politicians outside of Florida have pulled strings to get people to the head of the vaccine line? Let's not pretend this is a Florida issue or a Republican issue. Light got shed on this particular instance by the media but if they dug around enough, I'm sure there are countless similar instances done in every State by members of both parties.

DisneyDebRob

Do you honestly believe that no politicians outside of Florida have pulled strings to get people to the head of the vaccine line? Let's not pretend this is a Florida issue or a Republican issue. Light got shed on this particular instance by the media but if they dug around enough, I'm sure there are countless similar instances done in every State by members of both parties.
Of course many do the same things, no one is saying that. My point is just go back a hundred pages until now and look how many people here were saying nothing wrong happened. Something wrong did happen so they need to stop the I love Florida and it’s all ok rhetoric. When something is wrong you call it out no matter whether you live in Florida.. love desantis..etc. wrong is wrong.

sullyinMT

Perhaps because pharma is being publicly guilted into NOT doing what they always do on the world stage this time??
That and the numbers game, in this case. The sheer number of doses ordered internationally likely made back some profit. Plus, at least for the big players like Pfizer and AZ (Sanofi and Merck if they had played out), having their name in constant press doesn’t hurt exposure and free associative brand advertising.

A lot of vaccines are relatively inexpensive for that reason, though I couldn’t tell you who made my flu shot without pulling the paperwork.

sullyinMT

Guess what we're using our local, almost dead mall for? State-run vaccination site!
Sandwiched in between a Build a Bear and the little “boutique” where the high schoolers buy formal dance gowns? Is the dog treat bakery in the other hallway with Hot Topic?

I’m imagining our dead mall with 3 national brand stores, and 2 traditional “anchors” remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom