Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Here's a question for you.... The report points out that a lot of these deaths were in long term care facilities. Obviously these could easily be coincidental deaths, but since the vaccine triggers an immune response could that actually lead to the death of someone who was already in fragile health?
The report noted that the deaths did not exceed the background rate, so probably not.

Heppenheimer

While any stress will be damaging I think the ones on hospice care are not being vaccinated and from what I saw in the care facilities I was at as family for the last 20 years the end does not come suddenly for the most part. The degree of illness is pretty well known for months before the end comes.
For end-stage hospice, where the patient is getting morphine to keep them comfortable, no, they probably are not receiving the vaccine. But we're vaccinating most of our hospice patients otherwise. If they catch COVID, even if they don't receive aggressive care, they can still pass it to other people, and cause a huge consumption of PPE and burden of care for the medical staff.

Patcheslee

Step-dad finally got his first shot today. 74, Non-Hogkins Lymphoma, diabetic, kidney issues, heart issues. Overall fine except for sore arm, he's taking it easy at home still. Doc told him he may feel more run down because his body is reacting, but no major concerns. Hoping come Easter we can do an outdoor visit.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 7.16.14 PM.png

"At least 2,626 new coronavirus deaths and 78,018 new cases were reported in the United States on Feb. 19. Over the past week, there has been an average of 69,770 cases per day, a decrease of 45 percent from the average two weeks earlier."

JoeCamel

View attachment 533949

"At least 2,626 new coronavirus deaths and 78,018 new cases were reported in the United States on Feb. 19. Over the past week, there has been an average of 69,770 cases per day, a decrease of 45 percent from the average two weeks earlier."

We are back to July/August levels? Good, just a few more months.

correcaminos

Step-dad finally got his first shot today. 74, Non-Hogkins Lymphoma, diabetic, kidney issues, heart issues. Overall fine except for sore arm, he's taking it easy at home still. Doc told him he may feel more run down because his body is reacting, but no major concerns. Hoping come Easter we can do an outdoor visit.
Glad to read this!

I would be very disappointed if this happened tbh. Just because its overall effectiveness is lower than its competitors doesn't make it a useless vaccine. People don't realize how lucky we are to have just 2 vaccines that are over 90% effective and appear to be effective against new emerging strains. Its made us a bit picky I think. The more vaccines the better and the sooner we can end this pandemic. As long as the vaccine is safe of course. The problem appears to be the data AstraZeneca has given the FDA. Its not enough. Hopefully they can remedy that. At the same time I suppose the FDA not approving a vaccine could add to their credibility and show they aren't just approving any vaccine.
To be true their trial was riddled with a lot of issues and inconsistencies. I would be surprised if it did get approved anytime soon.

While any stress will be damaging I think the ones on hospice care are not being vaccinated and from what I saw in the care facilities I was at as family for the last 20 years the end does not come suddenly for the most part. The degree of illness is pretty well known for months before the end comes.
My aunt was scheduled for hers in hospice care. She did pass away before receiving it though by a few days. But she was going to get it even in case because she was in a long term care facility. Just a point of data for you.

Last edited:

havoc315

I would be very disappointed if this happened tbh. Just because its overall effectiveness is lower than its competitors doesn't make it a useless vaccine. People don't realize how lucky we are to have just 2 vaccines that are over 90% effective and appear to be effective against new emerging strains. Its made us a bit picky I think. The more vaccines the better and the sooner we can end this pandemic. As long as the vaccine is safe of course. The problem appears to be the data AstraZeneca has given the FDA. Its not enough. Hopefully they can remedy that. At the same time I suppose the FDA not approving a vaccine could add to their credibility and show they aren't just approving any vaccine.

The CDC and FDA guidelines were to look for at least 50% efficacy.
It seems there are so many issues with the AZ vaccine and the trials... I just can’t picture it getting approval in the USA for quite a while. If it’s truly ineffective against the South Africa strain, it could actually do more harm than good: actually making the South Africa strain become more prevalent.

Unfortunately, early US strategy was heavily reliant on the AZ vaccine. I believe we pre-ordered 300 million doses, while only ordering 100 million each of Moderna and Pfizer. Fortunately, we have corrected and will now get enough Moderna and Pfizer to cover the population by the end of the summer.
... and still looks likely that JNJ will get the go ahead with around 100 million doses ready by end of the summer. (Hopefully around 20 million a month starting by April).

bdearl41

I just think when more studies come out that vaccinated people either don't get infected or they don't spread disease, it's going to be harder to enforce mask wearing for vaccinated people, especially when vaccines are available to all.
This is exactly why I’m bullish on masks being gone potentially by end of summer. At least the mandates. Remember you’re always allowed to wear one if you feel unsafe. But if you don’t feel unsafe and the general population has had the opportunity to be vaccinated, the mandates should disappear with the virus, or at least the dangers of the virus.

Touchdown

This is exactly why I’m bullish on masks being gone potentially by end of summer. At least the mandates. Remember you’re always allowed to wear one if you feel unsafe. But if you don’t feel unsafe and the general population has had the opportunity to be vaccinated, the mandates should disappear with the virus, or at least the dangers of the virus.
When masks get removed will not be tied to vaccinations directly. They’re going to be removed when community spread stops. When a place hadn’t had a case in x amount of days (10-14) then the masks will go away. Not before that.

bdearl41

When masks get removed will not be tied to vaccinations directly. They’re going to be removed when community spread stops. When a place hadn’t had a case in x amount of days (10-14) then the masks will go away. Not before that.
You may be right but you may also be wrong. Just like me.I was simply sharing my reasoning for why I think masks may go away quicker than some think. I know for me ( I’ll be last to get a vaccine due to age and need, so everyone will have access by then) I will stop wearing a mask about a month after my final shot. At that point it’s no longer about protecting someone else.

Touchdown

I understand that's your opinion, but you don't actually know if this will happen or not.

No one knows really.
If you have been following what the federal govt and most states have been saying since mid January, my scenario is the most logical.

What I don’t understand is why everyone is focused on masks, masks are an annoyance but it’s the social distancing that is the biggest pain in my opinion.

I would much rather have resturants full, live sporting events with full stadiums, having all the plexiglass removed from the rides, rides running at full capacity, preshow back on, and all the entertainment back (although I wouldn’t mind the socially distant queues continuing) even if I had to wear a mask longer. I really think the masks will be the last to go.

lazyboy97o

Many people who get sick “felt safe”.

Kevin_W

What I don’t understand is why everyone is focused on masks, masks are an annoyance but it’s the social distancing that is the biggest pain in my opinion.
I agree with this so much. I suppose the masks are the visible sign so that is the focus (and many can choose to ignore the other things).

My daughter had a gymnastics meet this weekend and I frankly didn't even notice that I was wearing a mask. But I did notice that my wife was in the hotel room instead of the meet because they only allowed 1 parent per athlete. :(

correcaminos

If you have been following what the federal govt and most states have been saying since mid January, my scenario is the most logical.

I would much rather have resturants full, live sporting events with full stadiums, having all the plexiglass removed from the rides, rides running at full capacity, preshow back on, and all the entertainment back (although I wouldn’t mind the socially distant queues continuing) even if I had to wear a mask longer. I really think the masks will be the last to go.
As a person who values my personal space I'm the opposite. Masks are bigger to me. They are literally a pain for me to wear. I wear them, but I hate them. Though here in the cold they can be nice. Personally, I'd be happy if some social distancing never went away. I think outdoors masks will be interesting to watch. March will show us more with water parks....

I'm seeing more friends at Disney taking pics maskless. I wonder how long it will be enforceable

Not predicting anything. Just curious based on what I see and hear. Fatigue is real and people are complaining about pics at this point too.

dreday3

Masks are okay in the winter and it's just the rule, I have to wear them so I will.
What I don't love is wearing a mask in 90+ degrees with dew points in the high 70s. It's uncomfortable at best.

So while I will continue to wear them as long as we are told to, I'm eager for them to go away.

havoc315

Agreed that masks will be among the last to go — because they provide the best cost/benefit ratio of any measure.
Wearing a mask doesn’t really prevent you from doing anything except eating. It doesn’t have to reduce business capacity.
But it is effective at reducing virus transmission.

havoc315

You may be right but you may also be wrong. Just like me.I was simply sharing my reasoning for why I think masks may go away quicker than some think. I know for me ( I’ll be last to get a vaccine due to age and need, so everyone will have access by then) I will stop wearing a mask about a month after my final shot. At that point it’s no longer about protecting someone else.

I fear many people will have that attitude but it’s not really the safe attitude.

First off, vaccination is far short of fully effective. It would be like saying, “as long as I wear my seatbelt, I can drive recklessly.”
The vaccination only reduces the likelihood of serious infection. So let’s say, you’d typically have a 50% chance of getting infected by being in a room with a Covid positive individual. By being vaccinated, it reduces that down to 5%. But if you rip off the mask and start partying with hundreds of Covid positive cases, you probably will get the infection eventually.

Thus, as long as disease is widespread in the community, a mask is still advisable for your own safety.

Further more, and even more importantly: though vaccination reduces transmission, we still don’t know how much it reduces transmission. Thus, even if you’re vaccinated, you can still pick up an asymptomatic infection and pass it to others.
Thus, until nearly everyone is vaccinated, masks should continue to protect the unvaccinated.

I suspect masks can go away when we get down to under 100 cases per day, nationwide. Or regionally... say when Florida is recording under 20 cases per day.

Vegas Disney Fan

Masks are okay in the winter and it's just the rule, I have to wear them so I will.
What I don't love is wearing a mask in 90+ degrees with dew points in the high 70s. It's uncomfortable at best.

So while I will continue to wear them as long as we are told to, I'm eager for them to go away.
My only real complaint with masks is they constantly fog my glasses. I’ve tried sprays, wipes, dish soap, cloth masks, paper masks, figure eights, etc etc and while some things help nothing works completely. I just want to be able to see clearly again.

I kind of like a mask when it’s cold outside but I am dreading Vegas heat in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom