Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

Speaking from someone who has a wife working in a nursing home - it's almost everyone except the doctors who are at this likely 30% acceptance level. RNs, in addition to all other staff, just do not want to take the vaccine and it all stems from click-bait facebook articles. Can't tell you the number of times actual RNs have told her to not take it as it will "make her sterile", and it's not just a few that think this. It quite literally is the majority.
I have a few LPN friends who are sharing stories with me too about similar mistrust due to articles. Just baffling how off some of it is.

Touchdown

Well according to all the states they have the ability to vaccinate more, but have been held back by supply. Next week we are about to find out if that is true. Because it’s not like the factories have stopped making vaccines. Everyone who had their orders delayed are going to get an extra large amount next week.

Disney Experience

Speaking from someone who has a wife working in a nursing home - it's almost everyone except the doctors who are at this likely 30% acceptance level. RNs, in addition to all other staff, just do not want to take the vaccine and it all stems from click-bait facebook articles. Can't tell you the number of times actual RNs have told her to not take it as it will "make her sterile", and it's not just a few that think this. It quite literally is the majority.
I agree.

I was talking while in a business last week with someone who was nagging at me for wearing a mask when I was vaccinated and, at the time, was in a office that many people were not wearing masks (including herself). I told her I did it to make those who were wearing masks (and there were some near me) more comfortable because unless I told them there is no way for them to know I am vaccinated. (Did not even approach the subject of additional mitigation can't hurt and that no vaccine is perfect, but I do believe transmission is decreased if one is vaccinated).

She turned to me and said my relative is a nurse in Israel and that her relative passed when offered to be vaccinated. Then she added that she herself would not take the vaccine (though she had taken other vaccines in the past), she was not old, so low risk to her health in staying unvaccinated in her opinion., and did not trust the vaccine.

I had a neighbor who said she got a letter/email from a leader of Liberty University warning that people died who took the vaccine (I did not see the letter), and do not get vaccinated. She called me, and asked me about the vaccine, before she would try to get an appointment. Hearing that I took it many months ago, and had no long term side effects was encouraging to her.

Lot's of bad information out there. (I am not against hearing all sides, but sometimes I am amazed at what is out there).

DisneyCane

Dear pretending to be woke people stop using Latinx. Gack that's like nails on a chalkboard in this house seeing a word Spanish speakers took and made their own be turned to English words again. Use Latin or Latinos for they.

The article did hit on Puerto Rico but there is also a strong distrust of western medicine. Historically Natives, Latinos, and Blacks are also treated unequally in the medical world. There is more to it than being guinea pigs - it's also the knowledge that studies prove that marginalized have worse outcomes for like procedures and we think it's often due to negative bias that leads medical workers to not seemingly care about giving adequate care. Also language barriers can come into play for some.

The articles gave some reasons. While you know doctors you likely haven't seen them in action when it mattered. A personal example from this summer. Being a hint vague but a loved one was in the hospital this summer and was denied a covid test when we requested one. They were brushed aside and due to them having brown skin and an accent they had it suggested to test for TB. They live on the mainland in the US. I shared this with a medical friend locally and their first thought was "that's so racist" because honestly it is. This same loved on gets sub par care often and has had infections run amuck until another medical person of color ran tests proving the care was crap prior. My OB is a woman of color so when delivering I felt confident in her care. I was even brushed aside at first when coming in when they sent me. I had full blown horrible HELLP and it took them hours to get me admitted - I look mixed to many and the arab name going with arab and mediteranean blood doesn't help. A very white named friend was treated differently and taken back asap. Even my office calling prior did nothing. When I said they had called, it took them an hour to verify my info. I can share more about that delivery and how they wouldn't let my husband hold my child (I was too sick to go up to the nursery) because who knows... my husband is Puerto Rican so Black, Native and Latino. The own father not allowed. Fortunately a friend was a special care nursery nurse and she loved on our kid. There is lack of trust for a reason.
I am quite disappointed to hear these stories. It is truly shocking to me that a health care provider would treat somebody differently due to some kind of prejudice. If anybody should know that all humans are the same it should be people who are highly educated in anatomy. Maybe the fact that the doctors and nurses I know, including both close and distant relatives, practice in very diverse south Florida is why they haven't seen this type of stuff.

Specific to COVID vaccines, the same vaccine is highly desired by white people. I would definitely understand if right after approval it was announced that minority neighborhoods should be vaccinated first that people in those groups would be on the alert given some of the things that occurred a half a century ago. Since the vaccine comes out of the same vial for everybody, I would hope it adds a measure of trust.

After reading your post and the others above, I can at least see some level of rationality in reluctance unlike the conspiracy wackos who think there are tracking or mind control nanobots in it.

DisneyCane

Sure, you'd like to wish that people in an operating room were vaccinated, but people in housekeeping and dietary also come in rather close proximity to anyone in a hospital, so does it really matter what role they serve?
Florida appears to consider all people in those roles as priority for vaccination:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At the direction of <a href="https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@GovRonDeSantis</a>, Florida continues to prioritize COVID-19 vaccinations for those who need it most. Wondering if you’re eligible? Find the latest below: <a href="https://t.co/1dOKqMP6v3">pic.twitter.com/1dOKqMP6v3</a></p>&mdash; Florida Dept. Health (@HealthyFla) <a href="">February 19, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: ABQ

seabreezept813

I'm asking this genuinely because I don't understand and I'd like to understand. What medical fears do (some in) these groups have and why?

I know many doctors and nurses and nothing I've ever seen has shown that they care for minorities any differently than they do white people. I understand access to affordable care issues with people that earn too much for Medicaid and too little for health insurance. When I see comments about reluctance to take a vaccine for a virus that disproportionally effects minority communities I truly don't understand what would cause that reluctance.
There’s a long history of experimentation I know nothing about, but to offer a different reason it’s government distrust. A lot of minority groups have a fear of police etc and that can trickle into government in general. But I also think many people come from countries where the governments are corrupt and wouldn’t think twice about experimenting on their own people. I know my husband has been frustrated with friends in the Latino community who are generally scared the vaccine is an experiment in tracking or just generally dangerous. I told him just keep talking to them and set the example by getting it ASAP.

correcaminos

There’s a long history of experimentation I know nothing about, but to offer a different reason it’s government distrust. A lot of minority groups have a fear of police etc and that can trickle into government in general. But I also think many people come from countries where the governments are corrupt and wouldn’t think twice about experimenting on their own people. I know my husband has been frustrated with friends in the Latino community who are generally scared the vaccine is an experiment in tracking or just generally dangerous. I told him just keep talking to them and set the example by getting it ASAP.
I think if you know other Latinos who took the shot too, have them try to help. Trust from your own is easier than outsiders so to speak. Part of why I did the trial was to use my experiences to help others. I know distrust is real and not at all a made up conspiracy.

I am quite disappointed to hear these stories. It is truly shocking to me that a health care provider would treat somebody differently due to some kind of prejudice. If anybody should know that all humans are the same it should be people who are highly educated in anatomy. Maybe the fact that the doctors and nurses I know, including both close and distant relatives, practice in very diverse south Florida is why they haven't seen this type of stuff.

Specific to COVID vaccines, the same vaccine is highly desired by white people. I would definitely understand if right after approval it was announced that minority neighborhoods should be vaccinated first that people in those groups would be on the alert given some of the things that occurred a half a century ago. Since the vaccine comes out of the same vial for everybody, I would hope it adds a measure of trust.

After reading your post and the others above, I can at least see some level of rationality in reluctance unlike the conspiracy wackos who think there are tracking or mind control nanobots in it.
It happens all the time with many things, not just medicine too. Deep rooted biases and prejudices really do bring harm to others. My state is doing townhalls for those who are among the most scared. I am personally far more understanding of marginalized reluctance vs the conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers. I'm doing what I can little by little to promote confidence. Even if it is telling my loved ones all about it and then scheduling their appointments for them ;) my husband has been using me too to promote it as well.

I'm not sure it is wise to push on some groups that are disproportionately hit or not. Some will take it. Quite a few Hispanic friends and loved ones have. Many we need to work on.

Now the deniers and anti-vaxxers I view differently because that's mostly crazy talk with zero backing behind it. I have far less patience with them but I try.

seabreezept813

I think if you know other Latinos who took the shot too, have them try to help. Trust from your own is easier than outsiders so to speak. Part of why I did the trial was to use my experiences to help others. I know distrust is real and not at all a made up conspiracy.

It happens all the time with many things, not just medicine too. Deep rooted biases and prejudices really do bring harm to others. My state is doing townhalls for those who are among the most scared. I am personally far more understanding of marginalized reluctance vs the conspiracy theorists and anti-vaxxers. I'm doing what I can little by little to promote confidence. Even if it is telling my loved ones all about it and then scheduling their appointments for them ;) my husband has been using me too to promote it as well.

I'm not sure it is wise to push on some groups that are disproportionately hit or not. Some will take it. Quite a few Hispanic friends and loved ones have. Many we need to work on.

Now the deniers and anti-vaxxers I view differently because that's mostly crazy talk with zero backing behind it. I have far less patience with them but I try.
Most people we know aren’t up for it yet. My husband finally got notice that his work will give him a date soon so he’s hoping that him taking it influences others to do it. As someone else mentioned, the garbage on the internet is a huge issue too. Boring scientific data never gets spread around, but sensationalism spreads like wildfire.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Those RNs could sue their colleges/universities for failing to give them a proper medical education.

correcaminos

Most people we know aren’t up for it yet. My husband finally got notice that his work will give him a date soon so he’s hoping that him taking it influences others to do it. As someone else mentioned, the garbage on the internet is a huge issue too. Boring scientific data never gets spread around, but sensationalism spreads like wildfire.
Well if you need to use others in the meantime or if his getting isn't enough, I have hispanic blood and arab as well as n. African in me and I was in the trial. I saw a man who sounded Mexican based on his accent when speaking Spanish in the trial waiting room too. As well as a good cross section of others the times I went. I cannot judge for more hisapnic or latinos because there isn't one solid look. But ages, races & ethnicities, gender, physical fit level by appearance were well represented. They tested on many to make sure it was safe. My husband's side who can be vaccinated (Puerto Rican born all but my husband and his brother) have been vaccinated. We are waiting for the next groups (essentials and high risk) for others to be vaccinated. I'm truly glad to help calm nerves of those who fear due to legit reasons like that. So if I can ever do anything let me know.

sullyinMT

I'm not sure what you mean by twit-mob, but what we don't want is to push science behind closed doors so that later someone can rail on the lack of transparency and if something serious/bad does show up, "Why didn't anyone warn/tell us!" Personally, I've found it a benefit to be able to use Twitter to go directly to the experts because so many media takes have been sub-par.

I am concerned, however, that this "we're scaring people" is just the new talking point. So far the polling has shown an increased willingness of people to be vaccinated. So what is the point of scaring people into thinking people are scared because of recent media stories? It deflects from the discussions concerning historical, systemic medical trust issues, it places blame on scientists instead of people misrepresenting data/science to serve their personal agenda, and ultimately gives people the excuse they need to turn any potential spotlights off them and onto others. People aren't getting vaccines because of what they heard on last night's news. They aren't getting vaccines because of past "baggage." Changing the news report isn't going to help as much as helping people work through their baggage. Just changing the news story, means that people will just twist some other thing into justification for not having to deal with their baggage.

It's one thing when the sci com people say: we need to do better. We need to be aware of how what we say will be weaponized or intentionally misinterpreted or misrepresented for clicks or politics. We need to be able to translate science speak into things that are easy for regular people to digest. We've never been on a stage like this, and we're learning what being on one like this means. But it's something else to turn that into science needs to abandon what works for the science process, because now that people have a window into the process, people have knowledge gaps or misuse it. That problem needs to be addressed by something other than "shut up science, and go away."
My problem is, and has always been, with the headlines. What was a way to keep people through commercial breaks has now been turned into the news of the day.

It’s always been a problem, but talking points without details (which is what Twitter and Reddit and other social media have become), isn’t what the general public needs. We owe it to ourselves to seek fleshed-out stories over clickbait and scary headlines.

Like I said, scientists and professionals should absolutely be fighting to stay ahead of the game.

dreday3

My problem is, and has always been, with the headlines. What was a way to keep people through commercial breaks has now been turned into the news of the day.

It’s always been a problem, but talking points without details (which is what Twitter and Reddit and other social media have become), isn’t what the general public needs. We owe it to ourselves to seek fleshed-out stories over clickbait and scary headlines.

Like I said, scientists and professionals should absolutely be fighting to stay ahead of the game.

If you want to post an article on twitter, fine. Nothing wrong with sharing information, give short synopsis. Just leave your personal point of view out of it..."ominous".... please.

What we are looking at is "vaccine resistance" -- it's akin to antibiotic resistance that can be so strong in some bacteria that they are 100% incurable infections. In this study, the spectre of #COVID19 #vaccines being rendered useless looms -- NOT assured, but ominous.

Heppenheimer

Your last sentence is pretty much why I discuss the vaccine with every patient I see these days, although most of the questions are fortunately about how to obtain it. But I've also needed to debunk more than a few conspiracy theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom