Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
When I get some time I'll see if I can find a study of the percentage of the Palm Beach and Broward County population that is of "New York/New Jersey descent." Besides my family and people around me throughout high school, based upon the people playing poker at the north Broward poker rooms I would say the percentage is pretty high.
Hearsay. But again, thanks for the laugh and the show. Next time, I may even buy a ticket.

Disney Experience

And crooks try to fleece people with fake Moderna site:

Glad they were caught.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like Vitamin C and Zinc as a therapeutic is not significant according to a recent clinical study:
(But it did lower the duration a little in the study, just not significantly )

No placebo and not blinded. Endpoint was based on a symptom assessment questionnaire.

So the results in my opinion are not the final word, but still interesting.
We've had years and years of research showing no clear cut benefits of zinc or C on colds or flus. That anyone would think to test this on Coronavirus is magical thinking and was a waste of time.

Disney Experience

We've had years and years of research showing no clear cut benefits of zinc or C on colds or flus. That anyone would think to test this on Coronavirus is magical thinking and was a waste of time.
Not sure if it is as cut and dry as that, but I haven't researched it in depth. Here is a meta analysis (ie a study of the studies on colds and zinc)

I have not looked at peer reviews or credentials of the authors, so take it for what is or is not worth.
2017 Meta Study Result:
In conclusion, the trials included in this study were of high methodological quality: randomised, double-blind, and placebo-controlled. They were carried out over three decades by six different research groups. The evidence is thus very strong that zinc lozenges may shorten the duration of colds by approximately 33%. The optimal composition of zinc lozenges should be investigated in addition to the optimum frequency of their administration. Nevertheless, the current evidence of efficacy for zinc lozenges, in particular zinc acetate lozenges, is so strong that common cold patients may be encouraged to try them for treating their colds.

JoeCamel

For starters, I'm a hypochondriac who lives and works in NYC. Already, we're off to a good start (and I fit the stereotype). Even with every precaution, even with assurances in print that there are no confirmed cases in the city, I'm getting a little worse for wear with each passing day. This is also crimping my desire to travel. Especially to metropolitan areas (which strike me as obviously a little more prone to spreading the virus). And if I had a trip coming up for Disney, I wonder if I'd think twice. In NYC alone, Chinatown is suffering, taxis aren't picking up asian passengers/passengers aren't stepping into taxis with asian drivers, restaurants are beginning to struggle, tourism is suffering due to the lack of international visitors.

Life is a roll of the dice. Anything can happen. Violence, accidents, transportation mishaps. But I'm wondering when (not if) the coronavirus is going to hit to the point that it affects travel and, more specifically, WDW. Does Disney have plans in place beyond limiting hours and laying off performers?
How does it feel being on that lofty perch with the likes of 1974 starting a thread with over 4 million views! More fun than watching three coats of tinted glaze dry on the castle bricks amirite?

DCBaker

Premium Member
New from the CDC today on schools -

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has released a new Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools to incorporate the best available evidence at this time. The indicators and thresholds in the operational strategy replace the core indicators in the Indicators for Dynamic School Decision-Making. A comparison of the former and new indicators and thresholds is provided below."

Here's a direct link for the new guidance -

Polkadotdress

And yet, countless videos still abound, where people are expressing their frustration over the fact that zinc and Vit C are not being offered as Covid treatments, a they are CONVINCED that Big Pharma is behind it all.

ugh

DCBaker

Premium Member
Vaccine status for the country via Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker -

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 6.58.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 6.58.16 PM.png

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Not sure if it is as cut and dry as that, but I haven't researched it in depth. Here is a meta analysis (ie a study of the studies on colds and zinc)

I have not looked at peer reviews or credentials of the authors, so take it for what is or is not worth.
2017 Meta Study Result:

In theory or in study conditions it may work a bit but in real world scenarios it’s not feasible to use zinc correctly enough to make any significant difference. The onset of when you need to start taking zinc, the number of times per day you’d have to take it (6-9.9x per day from those meta-analysis studies) and the lack of availability of the correct zinc formulations all make it not very practical.

Rimmit

I think the worst offenders (I know a few on the DLR side did) went off the deep end and got fully banned. Easiest way to tell is click on their username, if you get an error page they are banned.
I would also say that many that didn’t get banned are now too embarrassed to say anything as they were proven dead wrong.

My favorite comment from the beginning of this thread was about how in a year we would have forgotten all about the pandemic. That one aged real well.

TrainsOfDisney

Here’s my favorite exchange from March 15th -

We probably won’t see 2 water parks open all year. I’m guessing some resorts will be mothballed as well.

You are ridiculous. It’s people like you who are part of the problem and why this is has become a media circus and we have no toilet paper. There’s no way hotels will be “mothballed” and they will leave the water parks closed in the summer in Florida. You know you can’t get clicks in a forum, right?

Chi84

Premium Member
I would also say that many that didn’t get banned are now too embarrassed to say anything as they were proven dead wrong.

My favorite comment from the beginning of this thread was about how in a year we would have forgotten all about the pandemic. That one aged real well.
My favorite was how there was no way a vaccine could be produced in less than 18 months.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You Nostradamuses done patting yourselves on the back yet?
I’ve been so wrong about so many things since this started I lost track. My favorite from me personally was my opinion that Disney wouldn’t re-open their parks until it was safe to visit without masks or distancing needed. I thought they would wait until August or September to re-open since those things would be gone by then :rolleyes: Big miss there. I also never thought people would want to go to a theme park and wear a mask all day. It has surprised me how second nature it has become now. I’m not saying I will continue wearing a mask anywhere once this is over, but it has gotten a lot less invasive.

Rimmit

You Nostradamuses done patting yourselves on the back yet?

There was no prophesizing involved. This was just BASIC science. Anyone with a basic high school level education could have predicted the outcome based on the early data and studies combined with the current anti-science attitude of our society.

Hell, you didn’t even need an education. You just needed to understand English And listen to Dr. Fauci and the task force yelling at the top of their lungs about what was gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom