Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Legally, well simply, there are a lot of attorney's looking forward to litigating cases of denial of products and / or services because of being unable to prove vaccination.
They might have more success (although probably not much) representing people who bring lawsuits against businesses that don't take available measures to protect them from getting COVID, but I doubt legal considerations are going to drive these decisions. It's more likely to come down to political/social considerations.

Disney Experience

The FDA advisory committee JnJ vaccine meeting page for the meeting scheduled in two weeks can be found here: (No JnJ docs yet, but has links for streaming the meeting when it occurs, as well as other information)

Expect documents to show up there when it gets closer to the meeting.

Disney Experience

Sometimes it is good to see all sides in politics. The right seeing the left, and left seeing the right. Humor sometimes helps vs a lot of words.
So here is some political right humor: (The first is about Biden vaccines, but honestly I cannot figure out what they consider in his barely started program is a miss). The other political cartoons make more sense(In what they are trying to communicate) to me, but they are not vaccine/covid related.

Animal_Kingdom_09

As of this evening, my appointment for MON has not (yet) been cancelled. So I’m hopeful I’m OK.

The jury is still out as to what sort of documentation I need to bring, as there have been conflicting answers ranging from “nothing” to letterhead from your primary care doc to hospital documentation.

I will bring Dr letter and medication (immunosuppressant) list.

Driver's license (or other proof of residency) That is the primary condition being enforced.

mmascari

My genuine question is, does spending really matter during a time like this? I always see people discuss “they spent money we don’t have”... and I just think that’s bonkers.
That question has a super important qualifier around who "they" is. If "they" is a business (Disney spending more than it makes), towns, counties, or states, then it matters a lot. But, if "they" is the federal government, or more specifically, "an entity that creates the currency", all the rules are different.

Here's a fun read:

This explanation says the spending comes before the taxing. With spending increasing the money sloshing around in the economy and taxing decreasing it. Where inflation is the real measure of if there's to much money sloshing around.

Which is to say, if the economy is running hot, unemployment is low, or that spending is buying the same limited resources as others, it'll drive inflation and be bad. A booming economy is a good time to reduce government spending. Right now, we don't have any of those worries. Which should mean, we can spend wildly, as long as we pull back as the situation changes and the economy starts to support itself. With the government spending to get us through the downturn so it's not so low and then letting up as things swing back up.

DisneyDebRob

That question has a super important qualifier around who "they" is. If "they" is a business (Disney spending more than it makes), towns, counties, or states, then it matters a lot. But, if "they" is the federal government, or more specifically, "an entity that creates the currency", all the rules are different.

Here's a fun read:

This explanation says the spending comes before the taxing. With spending increasing the money sloshing around in the economy and taxing decreasing it. Where inflation is the real measure of if there's to much money sloshing around.

Which is to say, if the economy is running hot, unemployment is low, or that spending is buying the same limited resources as others, it'll drive inflation and be bad. A booming economy is a good time to reduce government spending. Right now, we don't have any of those worries. Which should mean, we can spend wildly, as long as we pull back as the situation changes and the economy starts to support itself. With the government spending to get us through the downturn so it's not so low and then letting up as things swing back up.
Very good read. Puts things into the most simplest terms that anyone should be able to understand.
Since the beginning of time we have had administrations blowing money by some.. not giving enough money by others.. depending on what your beliefs or party affiliations are. The fights are usually “ I don’t want my grandkids to be paying for this” or the other side being” it’s better to spend millions or billions now then down the road where it will be double”.
The article you posted really gets down to the bare terms of what money really is and both sides can see that it really isn’t one side or another. Spend when the economy is down or needs help.. don’t when things are good or picking up.. works for all that way.

Heppenheimer

The FDA advisory committee JnJ vaccine meeting page for the meeting scheduled in two weeks can be found here: (No JnJ docs yet, but has links for streaming the meeting when it occurs, as well as other information)

Expect documents to show up there when it gets closer to the meeting.
I've been waiting to review the official paper on Johnson & Johnson's trial (ENSEMBLE2), so that we're not just going off information from a press release. It seems like they're going to hold it until just before the hearing.

Disney Analyst

Here's a fun read:

Thank you, that's what I wanted. I was specifically meaning Government, and especially during times of crisis.

Disney Experience

I've been waiting to review the official paper on Johnson & Johnson's trial (ENSEMBLE2), so that we're not just going off information from a press release. It seems like they're going to hold it until just before the hearing.
Yes, they may delay it until close to the meeting time. From the government point of view here are the deadlines for document publishing to the public:

FDA intends to make background material available to the public no later than 2 business days before the meeting. If FDA is unable to post the background material on its website prior to the meeting, any background material will be made publicly available at the time of the advisory committee meeting, and additional materials will be posted on FDA's website after the meeting.

Disney Experience

I or someone else has probably linked the Phase 1/2 paper before (Though they just updated it four days ago, while it was initially published last month). But here it is in case it has not been linked here before:

But I have not seen the Phase 3 results either.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

Looks like Vitamin C and Zinc as a therapeutic is not significant according to a recent clinical study:
(But it did lower the duration a little in the study, just not significantly )

No placebo and not blinded. Endpoint was based on a symptom assessment questionnaire.

So the results in my opinion are not the final word, but still interesting.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 183 new reported deaths, along with 7 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 2.55.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 2.55.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 2.55.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 2.55.11 PM.png

Last edited:

DisneyCane

This is the chart from the long term care report in Florida. Since, as of 2/1, all residents and staff of LTC facilities were offered the first dose, I think it is useful to follow for real world results of the vaccines. I believe all staff still must be tested every two weeks. If that's the case, it also gives some valuable data about the vaccines preventing infection vs. symptoms.

For both groups that are charted, the number of active infections has dropped pretty dramatically since mid January with both populations currently having less than half of the active infections as the peak less than a month ago.

ltc.jpg

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is the chart from the long term care report in Florida. Since, as of 2/1, all residents and staff of LTC facilities were offered the first dose, I think it is useful to follow for real world results of the vaccines. I believe all staff still must be tested every two weeks. If that's the case, it also gives some valuable data about the vaccines preventing infection vs. symptoms.

For both groups that are charted, the number of active infections has dropped pretty dramatically since mid January with both populations currently having less than half of the active infections as the peak less than a month ago.

View attachment 531657

It would be interesting to see how this compares to the general population in Florida, but I am not sure if there is equivalent data to compare to. The new case rate in Florida has dropped about the same amount as shown in these graphs.

Disney Experience

It would be interesting to see how this compares to the general population in Florida, but I am not sure if there is equivalent data to compare to. The new case rate in Florida has dropped about the same amount as shown in these graphs.
Using the Dates of Dec18 (Cherry picked as a high number) and ending on Feb11:
Florida general pop including ltc has decreased in new daily cases by 34.87%
LTC has decreased by 52.65%

Used @DisneyCane data above and

JoeCamel

Sometimes it is good to see all sides in politics. The right seeing the left, and left seeing the right. Humor sometimes helps vs a lot of words.
So here is some political right humor: (The first is about Biden vaccines, but honestly I cannot figure out what they consider in his barely started program is a miss). The other political cartoons make more sense(In what they are trying to communicate) to me, but they are not vaccine/covid related.

Consider the source, facts unfair and unbalanced

Disney Experience

More doses for people's arms in the future.

The Food and Drug Administration has informed the drugmaker Moderna that it can put up to 40 percent more coronavirus vaccine into each of its vials, a simple and potentially rapid way to bolster strained supplies, according to people familiar with the company’s operations.

While federal officials want Moderna to submit more data showing the switch would not compromise vaccine quality, the continuing discussions are a hopeful sign that the nation’s vaccine stock could increase faster than expected, simply by allowing the company to load up to 14 doses in each vial instead of 10.

Moderna currently supplies about half of the nation’s vaccine stock. A 14-dose vial load could increase the nation’s vaccine supply by as much as 20 percent at a time when governors are clamoring for more vaccine and more contagious variants of the coronavirus are believed to be spreading quickly.

Manufacturing upgrade should be complete sometime in April.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom