Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The public can’t ride any attractions at Disneyland, which has stood closed for nearly a year. But starting this week, the California theme park will open up as a super COVID-19 distribution site where thousands of people will get the vaccine daily.

Could Disney World be named a giant vaccine site, too?

Like hospitals across the state, Disney World has the capacity to store the vaccine with an ultra-cold freezer, said state emergency director Jared Moskowitz during a virtual town hall with state Rep Anna Eskamani, D-Orlando, last week.

“We have no ultra-cold freezer storage problems here in the state. There are plenty of hospitals with them. County health departments have them. Some universities have them. Disney World has one,” Moskowitz said, adding his department bought some, too."

"Disney World and Moskowitz’s office have not responded to questions from the Orlando Sentinel to provide further details or to say if there are plans to make the theme park resort a vaccination site for the general public or its workforce.

Gov. Ron DeSantis alluded to the possibility of Disney World becoming a distribution site as the workforce becomes the next target to vaccinate after senior citizens."

“You literally could drop a bunch of vaccines at Disney, Orange County Schools, wherever,” DeSantis said last week during a news conference in Longwood. “And they can knock that out pretty quickly. And it’s one dose and done. So I think that makes more sense with essential workers.”

sullyinMT

"The public can’t ride any attractions at Disneyland, which has stood closed for nearly a year. But starting this week, the California theme park will open up as a super COVID-19 distribution site where thousands of people will get the vaccine daily.

Like hospitals across the state, Disney World has the capacity to store the vaccine with an ultra-cold freezer, said state emergency director Jared Moskowitz during a virtual town hall with state Rep Anna Eskamani, D-Orlando, last week.

“We have no ultra-cold freezer storage problems here in the state. There are plenty of hospitals with them. County health departments have them. Some universities have them. Disney World has one,” Moskowitz said, adding his department bought some, too."

"Disney World and Moskowitz’s office have not responded to questions from the Orlando Sentinel to provide further details or to say if there are plans to make the theme park resort a vaccination site for the general public or its workforce.

Gov. Ron DeSantis alluded to the possibility of Disney World becoming a distribution site as the workforce becomes the next target to vaccinate after senior citizens."

“You literally could drop a bunch of vaccines at Disney, Orange County Schools, wherever,” DeSantis said last week during a news conference in Longwood. “And they can knock that out pretty quickly. And it’s one dose and done. So I think that makes more sense with essential workers.”

I think it’s important to clarify those last two sentences. They were in response to a question about prioritizing Johnson and Johnson distribution if it becomes a reality. No one was saying it’s a one dose and done for the current vaccinations we have available.

Heppenheimer

Good stuff. Just to reiterate...all 21 reactions happened within 30 mins of receiving the vaccine. I think this should make people on the fence more comfortable now that we are a month past the start of public vaccinations.
For one additional important safety consideration, I can not find any reports from reliable sources of a confirmed case of Guillian-Barre syndrome related to the vaccine, and as I recall, there were no reported cases in the trial populations. We are not quite outside the time window yet where the first wave of vaccinated individuals would be expected to develop the condition if it were related to the vaccine, but we're getting close.

Guillan-Barre syndrome is the most worrisome conceivable side effect from vaccinations in general, and the fact that we haven't seen any cases yet is definitely reassuring.

Last edited:

GimpYancIent

If there is any organization that can manage large crowds efficiently with a high approval rating from the people in the crowds it's Disney. Get vaccinated and go to Walt Disney World all in one trip, that is a win win!

Heppenheimer

Well, if anyone has expertise herding large numbers of people in orderly lines, then making them wait around, it is Disney. Contract a health care organization to actually run the vaccination administration, while Disney handles the traffic control, and I think you have a recipe for success.

EDIT: Looks like GimpYanclet and I had the exact same thought.

sullyinMT

In all seriousness, like others have said, Disney is pretty good at crowd control with a smile. Any chance some of the furloughed/laid off CM in Cali get an opportunity at recall to aid in this? It’ll probably be a thing until DL can feasibly reopen anyway.

Kevin_W

Well, if anyone has expertise herding large numbers of people in orderly lines, then making them wait around, it is Disney. Contract a health care organization to actually run the vaccination administration, while Disney handles the traffic control, and I think you have a recipe for success.

EDIT: Looks like GimpYanclet and I had the exact same thought.

Right - Disney already has a small army of healthcare workers taking temperatures at all 4 parks. Just have them give you your shot on the way into the park instead. :)

Kevin_W

From after the national championship game last night:
1610466982474.png

I'm up here in Buckeye country. Looks like we might have dodged a bullet by losing. :)

Disney Glimpses

Relevant information: Pfizer vaccine efficacy was 52% after first dose and 95% after second dose, paper shows

DisneyCane

Indiana gets the NCAA March Madness, why didn't they opt for Disney again?
Probably because NCAA headquarters is in Indianapolis. Also, too many games in the first two rounds to do a bubble like they did with the NBA. They'd have to play other places in central FL so it will be similar in IN.

Kevin_W

Probably because NCAA headquarters is in Indianapolis. Also, too many games in the first two rounds to do a bubble like they did with the NBA. They'd have to play other places in central FL so it will be similar in IN.

NYTimes article I found says ESPN Wide World of Sports can be configured with 20 basketball courts. That sounds like enough! Where are they doing this in Indy? The convention center & Colts facility I assume?

DisneyCane

NYTimes article I found says ESPN Wide World of Sports can be configured with 20 basketball courts. That sounds like enough! Where are they doing this in Indy? The convention center & Colts facility I assume?
Lucas Oil Stadium, whatever the current name is of the Pacers arena and some college arenas in the area from what I remember.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Despite the demand, health officials have found that sometimes people do not show up for scheduled appointments, and once a vial of vaccine is open, all of it must be administered within hours or thrown out. The Moderna vaccine, for example, has 10 doses per vial and a six-hour window.

Those factors combine, in rare cases, to allow people such as Licona to get the shot."

“You put it in somebody,” said Dr. Jamal Hakin, chief operating officer of Orlando Health, which runs Winnie Palmer. “I don’t care who it is. It’s better than throwing it away.”

"Orlando Health, which since mid-December has been administering vaccines at six sites, said the vast majority of the about 30,000 shots it has given have gone into the arms of health care workers or older residents. But some days, some of its vaccine sites have had a handful of unclaimed doses.

When that happens, the health care system messages its employees, asking them to refer other health care workers or older residents who want a shot but haven’t yet been vaccinated and can get to the hospital quickly. As time goes by, if doses are still unclaimed, Hakim said he urges the hospital to find anyone willing.

“Give it to three anybodys,” he said."

"When Licona wrote on Facebook about getting first dose of the Moderna vaccine, he got some flack from people who questioned why the hospital had given it to him. He tried to explain how it happened."

“It’s not like I took it away from someone who could have gotten it,” he said. “Be upset there aren’t enough sites, maybe not enough vaccines, not enough people to give the vaccines."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom