Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
25 K vaccinated yesterday is pretty low...

I don’t understand the conflicting reports: that the demand is outweighing the supply of vaccine here in FL and conversely FL has only used about 30% of what it has received? That fact can be found here:

It comes down to logistics and organization. I think all of the states need to throw more money at the vaccination process. Money talks. There’s a budget and the states can’t spend more than they have so I feel like the federal government in this next Covid relief bill needs to properly fund the state and local governments doing the vaccine rollout. Hire more people, pay overtime, call in the National Guard, invoke the defense production act if it’s supplies that are lacking, whatever it takes. No point investing billions on vaccine development only to get cheap on distribution and inoculation logistics. The faster this goes the faster the economy begins to recover and the less stimulus you need down the road. The money spent today would pay for itself and that’s not even counting the public health benefit. Hopefully they follow through on the plan to pass a bill and it’s signed on Jan 21. Get it done.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It comes down to logistics and organization. I think all of the states need to throw more money at the vaccination process. Money talks. There’s a budget and the states can’t spend more than they have so I feel like the federal government in this next Covid relief bill needs to properly fund the state and local governments doing the vaccine rollout. Hire more people, pay overtime, call in the National Guard, invoke the defense production act if it’s supplies that are lacking, whatever it takes. No point investing billions on vaccine development only to get cheap on distribution and inoculation logistics. The faster this goes the faster the economy begins to recover and the less stimulus you need down the road. The money spent today would pay for itself and that’s not even counting the public health benefit. Hopefully they follow through on the plan to pass a bill and it’s signed on Jan 21. Get it done.

...and I bet you can guess where I’m going here without even saying it??

sullyinMT

Quick update on my second Pfizer dose. Received Friday around 10am. Normal site soreness, no swelling. About 12 hours later, mild mid-back aches and what felt like a mild fever. Took temp, 99.1. Took 325mg Tylenol and slept ok. Next morning more of the same, but a little lethargic through the day. Temp peaked at 100.5, took one more dose of NSAID, this time 400mg Advil since muscle aches were a little worse. Plenty of water and watching 40s - 60s Disney animation and relaxing, by 30 hours post injection I was back to normal.

Polkadotdress

OK...so where I'm confused is that news outlets report that sites cannot accept any more booking and/or they turn people away due to LACK OF vaccine supply. So, the manpower is there for higher numbers. Where's the vaccine? Sitting in a dusty warehouse somewhere?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
OK...so where I'm confused is that news outlets report that sites cannot accept any more booking and/or they turn people away due to LACK OF vaccine supply. So, the manpower is there for higher numbers. Where's the vaccine? Sitting in a dusty warehouse somewhere?
It may be different for different places but in a lot of cases the number of appointments is also limited by the available resources. If they plan to vaccinate 1,000 people a day at a mass vaccination site they may limit the hours from 9-5 to avoid paying workers overtime. If they expand the hours or double the people giving the vaccine then you could do 2,000 instead of 1,000. I suspect some of the reason that the weekends slow down is that there is a cost to keep a facility that is normally not open on the weekend open or bring in police for traffic management. They probably have to pay time and a half for weekends for some workers.

I also think right now some of the reason all of the doses aren’t used is due to restrictions on who is eligible. They have to hold some back for nursing homes or hospitals and rollout there is being done too slowly. So doses arrive on Monday but don‘t get used for a week because they then schedule a team to go to different nursing homes and that takes time. I think the long term plan is to crank people through large parking lots like stadiums or arenas. Economies of scale.

Edit: one final point on vaccinations, I think the counties should make reservations for something like 75% to 80% of the doses they expect to receive each day. Then if they get shorted doses you have some wiggle room. They should then offer same day first come first serve shots to anyone who shows up and gets in line for the remaining shots. This way they maximize the number of advance reservations but also ensure it’s unlikely that someone has a reservation but there aren’t any doses available for them. Similar to FP+ and standby at WDW.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Vaccine status for the country via Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker -

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 7.33.36 PM.png

Bloomberg Vaccine Tracker

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I think this just proves what an absolute mess this has been. It’s all lack of coordination...not necessarily the individual players/components

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Ohio did 2k on Saturday, and will be close to 0 today. We take weekends off up here. Argh.
Yes :( I get sad when I look at the dashboard in Monday’s. I’m at the bottom of the vaccination list and it’s so sad to see how slow this rollout is.
What da hell for??

...it’s not like the browns are gonna win or anything 😳
Still going watch this painfully sad game. Ugh.

Polkadotdress

I think this just proves what an absolute mess this has been. It’s all lack of coordination...not necessarily the individual players/components
And of course, also excellent decision-making...as evidenced here:

correcaminos

When you present your opinion and position on things and someone disagrees with you there‘s a good chance you won‘t change their minds but who knows how many other people read that exchange and gained valuable information. Especially on things like the vaccine. Someone may be disagreeing with you and may never get the vaccine themselves but you may have made several other people more comfortable about getting it and maybe moved them from the not sure camp to the going to get it camp. The point of discussions isn’t to make people change their mind, but it’s a good ancillary benefit sometimes.
Well said. The one person I spoke of was on facebook. A comment about the vaccines on my spouse's wall and along the lines of "well I don't know anyone who would do the trial" and my response was something like "now you do" it did help them feel better. I know it helped my in laws feel better and you can better believe the moment I am 100% sure, I will give my trial status to help others feel comfortable. I hope it helps people relax.

In good news my FIL is scheduled for his vaccine with the VA tomorrow. Second shot scheduled for the 8th of Feb so guessing Moderna. My MIL who had her vaccine Friday had literally zero side effects. She could see the dot where the inejction went in but that was it. They are FL residents. FIL obviously a military vet. MIL I helped get her scheduled for Friday last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom