Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because the proper usage matters here, did you mean "there"? That one isn't making much sense to me. The use of "they're" or "their" changes this sentence significantly. (Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to understand where you're going with your statement.)
I edited it...screwed it up with both typo and undefined inference.

My point is that the wdw cms - by and large - are very pleased with the ultimate outcome. They are “somewhat” organized labor...plain and simple.

JoeCamel

I don't think it has to do with pixie dust or bubbles or whatever. The message has never been clearly communicated, or, if it has, it is being misunderstood. Health experts have said that people should stay more than six feet away from each other, and if that is not possible, they should wear a mask. Many, many people are interpreting that as saying it's okay to be closer than six feet as long as you are wearing a mask. Too much emphasis on masks, not enough on social distancing.
Right, why can't people understand it is about reducing exposure in all forms. No magic mask will work, six feet away outside does not make you immune so just wear a mask to keep your slime to yourself AND!!! stay away from other people. I want this to be over three months ago but the me, me , me firsters just keep it churning.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right, why can't people understand it is about reducing exposure in all forms. No magic mask will work, six feet away outside does not make you immune so just wear a mask to keep your slime to yourself AND!!! stay away from other people. I want this to be over three months ago but the me, me , me firsters just keep it churning.
New coronavirus task forced being announced on Monday...

I bet I know one name on the list...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think it has to do with pixie dust or bubbles or whatever. The message has never been clearly communicated, or, if it has, it is being misunderstood. Health experts have said that people should stay more than six feet away from each other, and if that is not possible, they should wear a mask. Many, many people are interpreting that as saying it's okay to be closer than six feet as long as you are wearing a mask. Too much emphasis on masks, not enough on social distancing.
Agreed. One of the aspects of the theme parks that has given me some comfort is the outdoor interactions between people within 6 feet of each other are primarily short in duration (less than 15 mins). It’s not just because of the masks, but that helps too. Being closer than 6 feet but being outdoor, with masks for short durations isn’t perfect but still better than indoor or without masks. With parades, fireworks and other types of shows I’m a little more concerned with people not distancing and standing together for way more than 15 mins. That’s assuming they would do the scheduled parades or fireworks and people line up. For the cavalcades at least they are spontaneous so less lining up to see them.

oceanbreeze77

I think we need to add another event into the coronavirus growth schedule. Not just halloween and the holidays, but tomorrow may prove to be another disastrous day for the count. I have been invited to 3 different victory parties tomorrow evening. I know there are many parties planned nationwide. We may see masses hitting the streets, drinking, living up the moment. The celebration is deserved, but it could cause many to ignore covid protocols. Personally, I will pull out my finest bottle of cognac, zoom with the extended fam, and pass out and sleep for days. (These late night counts have been sooo dramatic but oh so exciting, ya girls exhausted.)
Bringing this back because this is EXACTLY what's happening right now. I'm proud, people deserve to celebrate, but we cannot disregard the pandemic. If youre celebrating, please be safe.

cm1988

I was a CM for 17 years; the first few of them onstage at Epcot.
I took an 85% pay cut for that experience, since I had grown up watching Walt every Sunday night with my family.

So, you might assume I ♥️Disney.

This issue of "Should the parks/resorts/Springs have reopened during a pandemic?" led me to resolve never to set foot on Disney property again. I wrote (also former) fellow CM Lee (a senior exec) about it; he had a courteous sincere reply but my resolve hasn't changed. Here's why: Disney knows that they are putting lives at risk. They post disclaimers on their website, proving that... trying to pass the liability on to the guests.

I'm sorry (extremely sorry!) for the CM today who must work. I'm not so sorry for the shareholders who aren't earning as much. I am not at all sorry for the management who has abandoned WDW's long-time principle of "Safety" being first priority... followed by "Courtesy", "Show", and "Efficiency". B.t.w., "Efficiency" is a way to express "preserve the profits"... every business must do that to keep running and to pay workers and shareholders.

But when "Safety" got pushed aside with a disclaimer, they lost me. Sorry, fans. Sorry, guests. It is not safe to go to WDW during a pandemic. You must wait. You're doing something pretty selfish if, for the sake of entertainment, you take the risk of going, traveling, and bringing the virus home. It IS a risk. There IS a disclaimer. Tiny risk? Tiny disclaimer? I'm not willing to go there and risk your life or mine, so in my estimation, it isn't tiny enough.

Wait. Please wait.

TrainsOfDisney

You must wait. You're doing something pretty selfish if, for the sake of entertainment, you take the risk of going, traveling, and bringing the virus home.
I personally have not felt safe to travel to Disney or regional theme parks yet.

But there are many people saying that it’s extremelt selfish to NOT go since that’s keeping people from being able to work and it’s forcing businesses to close.

I don’t agree with either side telling others they are being selfish.

MaryJaneP

Yeah, you can't fix "misunderstood".

Is the new member of the COVID taskforce seen on KUWTK?

AND not OR regarding masks and social distancing. Whether inside or outside. With strangers and family. Not too hard, if you are not too selfish. WDW has a long way to go, almost as far as the USA, before anything approaching "normal" is even possible.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yeah, you can't fix "misunderstood".

Is the new member of the COVID taskforce seen on KUWTK?

AND not OR regarding masks and social distancing. Whether inside or outside. With strangers and family. Not too hard, if you are not too selfish. WDW has a long way to go, almost as far as the USA, before anything approaching "normal" is even possible.
It is hard, even if you are not selfish. This is difficult for everyone.

JoeCamel

It is hard, even if you are not selfish. This is difficult for everyone.
Yep, this is what people read about in the history books. Amazing to think what world events I have been through and look back on what those that came before me went though. I can hope we learn as we go along but I felt detached from this kind of threat since it had been so long since it was so widespread.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m not arguing your point...

But it’s much harder than it needed to be because we have wasted so much time and allowed “fatigue” to grow...which was inevitable from the start when uniform action was rejected.
Absolutely. I don’t fault our leaders for not knowing exactly what to do to combat this virus at first, but we needed a forceful message about the dangers it posed. Unimaginable damage was done by trying to minimize the impact on our country. Dividing people based on who was impacted most severely, politicizing restrictions, using racist terms to refer to the virus - we’re better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom