Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hope the eagle consumes a few before they get to the beltway. Need doers not academics.

Most intelligent “doers” have gone that route as well. What you’ve watched for the last few years on an Econ trajectory they rode that started 5 years prior are not the cream
Of the crop. Not even close.

Let’s let the top of the class have a crack at it...maybe something will stick.

When the shooting starts...you want the smart generals at the head of the column.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually think they will stay open for mostly locals. People seem to be happy going and they are losing less money being open. I think the only thing that changes that now is bad press. It’s very hard to pin an outbreak on WDW (especially when a large nu of guests are local and staying for less time). How do you prove they got infected at WDW. An outbreak among CMs is more likely and more easily traced, especially if you have CMs that weren’t doing a whole lot outside of work. Anyway, I see no reason to close WDW when the rest of the state is being way less cautious. They still come across as the adult in the room for sure.

My stance is NOT that they will close. My comments were in direct response to the unintelligent, hoax based “I got news for you: they’ll open more!” Comment.

As virus numbers spike dramatically? What kind of stupidity is that?

I think they will make EVERY attempt to maintain their current levels and expand if possible until next summer...but that is not 100% in their control. They’re not gonna spend more to try and entice crowds that would have to come from more conservative areas in virus spikes. That won’t happen.

They will cater to locals as long as they think they can control the risks.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My stance is NOT that they will close. My comments were in direct response to the unintelligent, hoax based “I got news for you: they’ll open more!” Comment.

As virus numbers spike dramatically? What kind of stupidity is that?

I think they will make EVERY attempt to maintain their current levels and expand it possible until next summer...but that is not 100% in their control. They’re not gonna spend more to try and entice crowds that would have to come from more conservative areas in virus spikes. That won’t happen.

They will cater to locals as long as they think they can control the risks.
How much more is there to open:
DAD2E838-578C-4D05-8E1E-B285ED3E3B8C.jpeg

Chi84

Premium Member
Its frustrating to see that. Up til now I thought they have done a great job with their guidelines. Now it seems like they don't care as much as they are desperate for crowds. Look at the scene from the projection show on the castle. It looked like it a pre-covid day.
There's only so much they can do. Theme parks are not conducive to containing a virus. Even on the slowest day with the lowest attendance, shows of any kind will cause people to gather in one place for the best view. All these people are outside, wearing the masks they were told to wear. They will probably be less likely to spread the virus than people gathering inside each other's homes for the holidays.

Jrb1979

There's only so much they can do. Theme parks are not conducive to containing a virus. Even on the slowest day with the lowest attendance, shows of any kind will cause people to gather in one place for the best view. All these people are outside, wearing the masks they were told to wear. They will probably be less likely to spread the virus than people gathering inside each other's homes for the holidays.
I know there is only so much they can do with people crowding. But for the projection show why not have it set up like they did in Shanghai with taped boxes for people to stand in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How much more is there to open:
View attachment 511239

Not much. And the trend line is on a collision course with what they have now.

Its frustrating to see that. Up til now I thought they have done a great job with their guidelines. Now it seems like they don't care as much as they are desperate for crowds. Look at the scene from the projection show on the castle. It looked like it a pre-covid day.

Very much...just because they’ve been fortunate so far...means nothing to the potential

They control their parks...they don’t have to bow to the “will of the nonchalant”

Bet there’s ALOT of grumpsy faces on the customers right about now...and equal amounts of smirks behind the employee mask😎

🇺🇸

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t actually think that picture is a bad thing. Disney has slowly and steadily increased crowd levels so it’s not like they went from closed to huge crowds. So far so good on crowd levels. The only reason I posted the picture is there was some debate as to whether they would increase capacity more. I don’t see how much more you can increase it right now. The problem isn’t getting more people through the front gates (they could do that no problem if they choose) it’s giving them something to do once inside and also keeping lines organized. Most if not all rides and attractions are operating with substantially reduced capacity due to distancing requirements. For example half the boat is empty on PoTC or Frozestrom. Unless you abandon distancing on rides (which I doubt they will do) you can’t really increase ride capacity. They also have an issue with queues. If you let more people in and don’t increase ride capacity then you create long lines and those lines need to be spaced too. So I don’t see the issue being as simple as “just increase park capacity“. There are a ton of logistical challenges to doing that while maintaining safety protocols.

Jrb1979

I don’t actually think that picture is a bad thing. Disney has slowly and steadily increased crowd levels so it’s not like they went from closed to huge crowds. So far so good on crowd levels. The only reason I posted the picture is there was some debate as to whether they would increase capacity more. I don’t see how much more you can increase it right now. The problem isn’t getting more people through the front gates (they could do that no problem if they choose) it’s giving them something to do once inside and also keeping lines organized. Most if not all rides and attractions are operating with substantially reduced capacity due to distancing requirements. For example half the boat is empty on PoTC or Frozestrom. Unless you abandon distancing on rides (which I doubt they will do) you can’t really increase ride capacity. They also have an issue with queues. If you let more people in and don’t increase ride capacity then you create long lines and those lines need to be spaced too. So I don’t see the issue being as simple as “just increase park capacity“. There are a ton of logistical challenges to doing that while maintaining safety protocols.
I was mainly talking about the crowd for the projection show. From someone who was at MK

"There was absolutely no distancing on Main Street or on the hub last night. It looked like a typical night for fireworks. We left, we just weren't comfortable with that crowd level. The rest of the day there was distancing measures and it was fine."

Sounds to me it's something that they need to fix.

Disstevefan1

Joe doesn‘t, but the Bobs do. Disney is a public company based in CA. The governor of FL has no say on how or if they operate (outside of closing them with a stay at home order which ain’t happening). Politics has little to do with this. It’s a business decision. As long as they lose less money being open then they would if they were closed they will stay open unless the PR hit becomes too much. That’s not the case right now. They are actually getting kudos for being open and operating safely
Yes, the WDW can always choose to close its doors for whatever reason it wants. As always, the only entity The Walt Disney Company needs to worry about is their shareholders, not the federal gov, state, employees and least of all, it’s guests.

The decision to close will be Disney’s and Disney’s only, and that decision will be determined on how it affects the shareholder only.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was mainly talking about the crowd for the projection show. From someone who was at MK

"There was absolutely no distancing on Main Street or on the hub last night. It looked like a typical night for fireworks. We left, we just weren't comfortable with that crowd level. The rest of the day there was distancing measures and it was fine."

It’s a work in progress. They have to try some stuff and then adjust if it’s not working. There may be ways to adjust or it may turn out that certain things are just impractical. At least it’s people outdoors with masks on. Ideally you would want to avoid large groups, indoors and no masks so it accomplishes 2 out of 3 which isn’t perfect but better than indoor in a group setting with no mask (bars, clubs, private parties, some people’s Thanksgiving dinner).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, the WDW can always choose to close its doors for whatever reason it wants. As always, the only entity The Walt Disney Company needs to worry about is their shareholders, not the federal gov, state, employees and least of all, it’s guests.

The decision to close will be Disney’s and Disney’s only, and that decision will be determined on how it affects the shareholder only.
Shareholders seem to be pretty happy with management’s decisions so far based on where the stock is. We will get some more idea of the mid to long term plan going forward later this week. I think having a very successful roll out of Disney+ has helped mask the distress in parks and the studio segments. I also think large institutional investors are playing the long game and looking at Covid as a short term economic speed bump. Lots of that rides on the hope for a vaccine and faster recovery starting next year. It may actually be a smart move for Disney to hedge its potential future losses by buying some put options on Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca. If the vaccine comes through Disney recovers faster and the options expire worthless. If the vaccines fail the pharma stocks tank and Disney at least makes some money on the options. I don’t think they will actually do that, but it makes some economic sense. It’s a dirty hedge on vaccine success or almost like an insurance policy.

Chi84

Premium Member
Not much. And the trend line is on a collision course with what they have now.

Very much...just because they’ve been fortunate so far...means nothing to the potential

They control their parks...they don’t have to bow to the “will of the nonchalant”

Bet there’s ALOT of grumpsy faces on the customers right about now...and equal amounts of smirks behind the employee mask😎

🇺🇸
Right, because nothing says Disney like employees smirking at unhappy guests. You should do their commercials 😉

Disstevefan1

It looked like a “typical” night for fireworks? Absolutely 100 percent NOT! Do we forget how jammed packed people were for the fireworks?? Tape lines and rope lines with folks PACKED IN!!!! If you didn’t stake out a spot at least a half hour before it started, there was NO GOOD place to stand! Even a single Person could Not get a decent spot.

While yes, there is not the magical 6 foot distancing between parties, it’s not PACKED like the fireworks were. I still have bad memories of trying to find a and ending up off to the side totally blocked by a tree.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

It looked like a “typical” night for fireworks? Absolutely 100 percent NOT! Do we forget how jammed packed people were for the fireworks?? Tape lines and rope lines with folks PACKED IN!!!! If you didn’t stake out a spot at least a half hour before it started, there was NO GOOD place to stand! Even a single Person could Not get a decent spot.

While yes, there is not the magical 6 foot distancing between parties, it’s not PACKED like the fireworks were. I still have bad memories of trying to find a and ending up off to the side totally blocked by a tree.
After seeing the pictures, I felt the same.

Busier than the parks during the rest of the day? Oh yea!
Pre-COVID busy? Not even in the ballpark.
Would I be uncomfortable? Possibly. But more likely when trying to exit, vs during the show itself.

Jrb1979

You all are missing my point. NO ITS NOT LIKE PRE-COVID ATTENDANCE WISE. People shoulder to shoulder packed close together is like Pre-covid. I hope they do something about. We really need to stop with the people are going to people nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom