Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
"No one is going to take the masks away" does not seem to address the primary purpose masks are thought to serve.

Should Jason Turner have worn a mask last night? Should he have complied with the MLB Security request that he isolate after 2 positive covid tests? Should his teammates wear masks while he does not? Do masks hinder the spread?
Yes, they do all that. That's why I didn't say mask requirements should be limited or abandoned right now. But when you say masks should be worn by everyone age 2 and above to infinity, it implies an ongoing need for masks in the future that I don't believe will exist. Right now: wear masks; in the future: wait and see. That's all I'm saying.

hopemax

Right, but the other part of the question is: what are India and Brazil doing right?
Brazil isn’t doing anything right. However the places that were driving their cases might have actually reached the hallowed level of “herd immunity.” The serology surveys from those areas are 40+% They did their first wave the “natural” way and that’s how it looked in terms of length and severity.

But what we should remember is that just because a screaming fire raged through Manaus and São Paulo doesn’t mean all the other Brazilian communities are protected from a different wave hitting them.

DisneyDebRob

The blue line is where a lot of stuff re-opened in NJ and cases did not start going up when that happened.

View attachment 508883
You made me go back and check when things did open and percentages of what was allowed. Although as you said, things did open up in June but with heavy restrictions, also no bars or restaurants. Then in middle of July restaurants were allowed to open at 25% as long as they had 2 open walls, also outdoor dining opened. It stayed that way until August 31st when when the measures were relaxed more with bars and restaurants increasing their capacity. Then Labor Day hit. So from your graph it looks like the holiday along with eateries and bars opening more started the spike again.

Miss Bella

Europe experienced a 4-5 month period prior to the start of their second wave where much of their economy was open, more than in the US over the same time. It’s proof that although the virus doesn’t go away, with effective control of it it’s possible to get most of your economy back and running between waves. Then you pull back and start the process over. Somehow in the US we got the idea that the plan has to be linear. We implement a response and the virus goes away for good, if it doesn’t go away than the response wasn’t worth doing.
The restriction in the US varied greatly from state to state. I wouldn't say that Europe was more open than the US. Many states had no restrictions to very few.......then there's states like California,
Granted the EU has a higher population then the US, but the number of deaths is about the same. We still have several months left of this and virus is going to do what virus's do.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The restriction in the US varied greatly from state to state. I wouldn't say that Europe was more open than the US. Many states had no restrictions to very few.......then there's states like California,
Granted the EU has a higher population then the US, but the number of deaths is about the same. We still have several months left of this and virus is going to do what virus's do.
I’m not even talking cases or deaths, just pure economics. The majority of Europe was far more open this summer than almost all of the US. Remember even FL had months of bars closed and other restrictions. Many other states as well. If we look at the extreme example of New Zealand they had their entire economy open, no capacity limits, pro sports with fans in the stands (remember the cardboard heads at the MLB games here) and many more people were out and about because cases were down. Same can be said for S Korea. The virus isn’t going to magically go away, but learning to live with it doesn’t have to mean remove restrictions and let it go, it can mean reduce it to a level where more of the economy can be open and functioning better. Other countries have proven that approach worked.

Miss Bella

I’m not even talking cases or deaths, just pure economics. The majority of Europe was far more open this summer than almost all of the US. Remember even FL had months of bars closed and other restrictions. Many other states as well. If we look at the extreme example of New Zealand they had their entire economy open, no capacity limits, pro sports with fans in the stands (remember the cardboard heads at the MLB games here) and many more people were out and about because cases were down. Same can be said for S Korea. The virus isn’t going to magically go away, but learning to live with it doesn’t have to mean remove restrictions and let it go, it can mean reduce it to a level where more of the economy can be open and functioning better. Other countries have proven that approach worked.
You are really going to compare New Zealand to the US? A country with a population under 5 million.

ImperfectPixie

Exactly! No lockdowns.
:rolleyes:

Lockdowns were necessary to get spread under control. TARGETED business closures and capacity reductions are now necessary to prevent huge rises in case numbers.

You anti-lockdown people seem to keep forgetting that when cases go up, we have to step back and work to slow the spread again. Just because we slowed the spread once doesn't mean we won't be in that situation again if everyone doesn't get their act together.

disneycp

:rolleyes:

Lockdowns were necessary to get spread under control. TARGETED business closures and capacity reductions are now necessary to prevent huge rises in case numbers.

You anti-lockdown people seem to keep forgetting that when cases go up, we have to step back and work to slow the spread again. Just because we slowed the spread once doesn't mean we won't be in that situation again if everyone doesn't get their act together.

Any plan where success hinges on “everyone getting their act together” isn’t a good one.

disneycp

No, history shows the opposite. The whole concept of keeping sick people or even just other people who may or may not be sick away was figured out centuries ago.

That makes complete and total sense. Anyone who is sick (or who thinks they may be sick) should stay away from others. I don’t think anyone here, regardless of views on government policy, disagrees.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
That makes complete and total sense. Anyone who is sick (or who thinks they may be sick) should stay away from others. I don’t think anyone here, regardless of views on government policy, disagrees.
Not anymore, and if there is a silver lining to this thing its that more people will stay home when feeling sick than they used to. Every December, my office floor would get sick, at least 20 of the 35 would catch something, because they wouldn't stay home.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 66 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 11.51.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 11.51.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 11.52.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 11.51.26 AM.png

Chi84

Premium Member
Despite this, My girlfriends Ex-Sister in law is a Part Time Cast Member in Magic Kingdom and told her that many parents will still try to push boundaries in regards to lying about their kids age and defending their Kid‘s right to not wear a mask since they always say “where I’m from they are not required”, even then some parents will still get kicked out because their kids failed to wear a mask properly and just take it off and parents will truly fight for this.

Because of this she also told us many same day reservations open up, a lot of guests that go to the park are on stand by to be let in from some unruly parents not following their guidelines about their kids mask.

No matter what, Disney gets their money in the end with someone willing and ready to replace them Haha.
People stand by to replace families being kicked out of the parks because they can't get their 2-year-old to wear a mask? That must really make people feel safe about Disney enforcing its rules. I wonder why that isn't part of the commercial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom