Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JIMINYCR

How do I become a member of the strike team?
1. Get a park ticket and enter.
2. Be able to inconspicuously walk in and observe details like... mask on or mask off.
3. Take multiple photos of violators for evidence.... again inconspicuously.
4. Go back to the central office and report all violations to this person...
giphy.gif

5. Collect pay for doing job well done..... Unless ...
6. You just go to Igers office and demand a bribe for destroying all evidence and fill out form OC163sb-a that says all is in compliance.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
While some people may not act as extreme as they type, it is part of a dangerous processes of normalization. Outright lies and conspiracies are now the “other side” that “deserves” due consideration. We’ve seen dangerous actions spin out of what starts as trolling and rather incoherent nonsense.
Agreed. I’m lovely in real life.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And that’s fine for you. I’ll go to Studios just to see citizens of Hollywood and to Epcot just to see voices of Liberty. Pretty sure I’ve been to magic kingdom and just watched Main Street entertainers and muppets, although usually I’ll do an attraction at Mk either the train or the riverboat.

Same at Dollywood. I love the coasters at Dollywood but I rarely ride them anymore, usually I’m there to see the entertainment, watch the craftsmen, and eat at miss Lillian’s. And ride the train of course!

That’s the beauty of a good theme park, it offers many things for many people.
That’s one of the biggest advantages WDW has over a lot of amusement parks. There are so many people there they can create a lot of tangents to the main draws that only appeal to a small number of people. What’s your favorite thing to do may be something I never even considered. I always feel like there’s so much I want to do some day. Keeps me coming back.

MrPromey

You also don't know if they are buying one day tickets or multi day tickets. They are certainly not the majority and not where disney makes money. They money off people like me that spend thousands on a one week vacation.

Yes, as I mentioned, someone who books a week on-property, spends only half a day in the parks, and then completes their day with additional spending on property outside of the parks is their ideal guest.

That said, if you don't think they're making any money off those people spending $125 a day to get in, who are also overpaying for food and souvenirs, there's nothing I can say that will convince you otherwise except that if it weren't needed income, I'm sure the parks would have become resort guest exclusive a decade or more ago.

I have no doubt, though, that if Disney could clone you ten million times over, they'd be beyond thrilled.

... If only they had enough guests willing to spend and behave that way, consistently.

Last edited:

Goofnut1980

I would be interested to see if this works. Because I agree with a post I saw a few pages back that referenced Blogmickey twitter post. They weren't closing the lines in September when I was there. They just kept wrapping them. Which could mean they are letting more than 25% in. I think it should be a mandate at how many they are letting in and the numbers should be posted. Why does Disney get to be exempt from having to give figures. Is that really safe?

Lirael

Yes, as I mentioned, someone who books a week, spends only half a day in the parks, and then completes their day with additional spending on property outside of the parks is their ideal guest.

That said, if you don't think they're making any money off those people spending $125 a day to get in, who are also overpaying for food and souvenirs, there's nothing I can say that will convince you otherwise except that if it weren't needed income, I'm sure the parks would have become resort guest exclusive a decade or more ago.

That said, I have no doubt that if Disney could clone you ten million times over, they'd be beyond thrilled.

... If only they had enough guests willing to spend and behave that way, consistently.
Yes. I think the "books a week to spend only half days at the park" guests are either those who live close by or hardcore fans who come over every year.

An international guest isn't going to spend a day flying to the USA, on a trip they don't too often, just to spend half day at the park. And those people are also the most likely to go buy the overpriced souvenirs (although they wont go for the overpriced sit down restaurants either).

I know everyone hates the tour groups (as do I) but they do give Disney money. They rarely stay on property though, but often get the 1day ticket to one park then unload the harpies teenagers onto the parks.

Personally, I would never pay for an international flight, and waste one day going in and another out just to pay disney the price of one day and only be allowed half a day. And I think most international guests would feel similarly.

That said, right now Disney only has internal guests getting to it, so it might assume these measures work, but when international tourism is back, let's see how many think twice before going back with such measures in place.

Vegas Disney Fan

And that’s fine for you. I’ll go to Studios just to see citizens of Hollywood and to Epcot just to see voices of Liberty. Pretty sure I’ve been to magic kingdom and just watched Main Street entertainers and muppets, although usually I’ll do an attraction at Mk either the train or the riverboat.

Same at Dollywood. I love the coasters at Dollywood but I rarely ride them anymore, usually I’m there to see the entertainment, watch the craftsmen, and eat at miss Lillian’s. And ride the train of course!

That’s the beauty of a good theme park, it offers many things for many people.
It’s amazing how much our Disney trips have changed over the years, my first trips (nearly a decade ago) were rope drop to park close marathons with touring plans designed to minimize wait times and hit every ride, now I’m more excited about the food and drink, just being in the parks, spending time with friends and family, and relaxing.

We are going in a few weeks and we have 3-4 “must do” rides per park, as long as we get on those it’s a successful day. A decade ago 3-4 rides would have been a waste of money.

hopemax

So I am continuing my campaign of living in fear in my basement. :D Since our drive vacation to the in-laws went off without a hitch, and my Dad is continually asking, "When am I coming to visit him," I have booked my visit into the lion's den for 12/2-12/15. Southwest is my usual airline of choice. I am hoping they continue to extend their "open middle seat" policy into December. Since he has a Maingate, I expect we will be spending a day at AK, Epcot and MK as well as a day at Universal. I am more nervous about my Dad wanting to eat out than the parks at this moment. Hopefully, the world doesn't end in the next month, but 2020.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes, as I mentioned, someone who books a week, spends only half a day in the parks, and then completes their day with additional spending on property outside of the parks is their ideal guest.

That said, I have no doubt that if Disney could clone you ten million times over, they'd be beyond thrilled.

I wish there were more of us too. We help Disney by spreading things out and not clogging up the rides, don’t accept other people’s assessment of Disney’s quality and don’t feel the need to drive ourselves nuts in order to meet someone else’s judgment of value. It’s incredibly freeing.

MrPromey

I wish there were more of us too. We help Disney by spreading things out and not clogging up the rides, don’t accept other people’s assessment of Disney’s quality and don’t feel the need to drive ourselves nuts in order to meet someone else’s judgment of value. It’s incredibly freeing.

Like I said to him, more power to you if you're spending what you want and getting what you want - no judgement here.

My initial point was that Disney does not have the Fastpass inventory to offer all resort guests 6 fastpasses a day (again, what 6 attractions at Epcot does anyone even need a fastpass for?) and that if they did that, it would take most of the parks down to less than a half day experience for resort guests* since without the waits, 2.5 of the parks don't actually have a full day worth of attractions/experiences for most guests which he then said he was fine with.

That said, the gate swings both ways. Nobody has to accept your assessment of Disney's quality or agree to your judgement of value, either. I didn't start by replying to you. You brought yourself into this discussion and a very freeing way to not be so burdened would be to take yourself out of it if you're feeling persecuted.

*Unless Disney staggered those Fastpasses across the whole day which is probably what they would do, to try keeping people in the parks longer to increase spending. I wonder if @LUVMCO would appreciate that?

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
So Disneyland is not opening anytime soon.

Sounds like it -

"Most California counties with major theme parks fall into the second-most restrictive “substantial” risk level — including Orange (Disneyland and Knott’s), San Diego (SeaWorld and Legoland) and Solano (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom).

Los Angeles County — home to Universal Studios Hollywood and Six Flags Magic Mountain — is in the most restrictive “widespread” risk level.

Santa Clara County — home to California’s Great America and the smaller Gilroy Gardens and Happy Hollow parks — is in the second-least restrictive “moderate” risk level.

The new guidelines mean Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood and other large theme parks won’t be able to reopen for weeks or months until their respective counties reach the least-restrictive “minimal” risk level."

"At best, that means major California theme parks won’t reopen until November or December. At worst, reopening dates could be pushed to next year. Which makes setting a reopening date for Disneyland, Universal and other California theme parks difficult if not impossible. Without a firm reopening date, the parks can’t set staffing, training, ride testing and visitor reservation plans."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom