Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

From Disney's perspective, that's a lot of missed opportunity to sell you food and merchandise, especially since that gives you a lot more incentive to rent a car and leave the bubble in search of things to do. (This may not be what you do, but it's what a lot of people would start thinking about doing after the first day or two).
It's not less money for Disney if your staying at a resort and going out for a nice dinner at night. I guess if your the type of person that likes to go go go 12 to 16 hours a day on a vacation you might get bored, but I think most like a little down time on vacation.

The number one reason I hear people say they don't like Disney other than the cost is that it's exhausting and they'd rather take a relaxing vacation.

Miss Bella

Its easy. I do it at every amusement park I go to. My question is how people see it worth it to pay Disney prices for half a day at the parks. It blows my mind how many would waste park hopping just to to Epcot to eat and not ride anything. Sorry but to me the point of a theme park is to ride rides.
I doubt many people buy one day tickets to WDW. Look at this forum and others most people plan week long trips at wdw resorts and make dining reservations at multiple restaurants. Its not just about rides for everyone.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Its easy. I do it at every amusement park I go to. My question is how people see it worth it to pay Disney prices for half a day at the parks. It blows my mind how many would waste park hopping just to to Epcot to eat and not ride anything. Sorry but to me the point of a theme park is to ride rides.
It's so much more than that, or I should say, it used to be so much more to me than just the attractions. Immersion is a huge part of it, food and beverage is a small part but counts for something and entertainment is another.

Jrb1979

It's so much more than that, or I should say, it used to be so much more to me than just the attractions. Immersion is a huge part of it, food and beverage is a small part but counts for something and entertainment is another.
For me it's never been about dining or entertainment. Maybe that's why I like Cedar Point and places like that more.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's not true for everyone, and especially not at WDW, where many guests are there for multiple day stays. Sometimes we ride all we care to at MK, AK or HS and hop to Epcot for dinner and to look around the WS and enjoy the entertainment.

ImperfectPixie

My family likes to "take it in", so to speak...we take lots of breaks in our favorite spots, just listening to music, deciding what we're going to do next (I tend to be an uber-planner, but make sure we always have more than one option unless there are FP or dining reservations involved...hoppers are a must for us), talking about our favorite moments, etc. We're park open-to-close a lot of days, but it's usually not planned to be that way.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 84 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.36.39 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.36.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.36.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 11.36.26 AM.png

MrPromey

I doubt many people buy one day tickets to WDW. Look at this forum and others most people plan week long trips at wdw resorts and make dining reservations at multiple restaurants. Its not just about rides for everyone.

This forum is not even remotely close to representative of the average Disney guest nor really, is any other forum where people sign up to talk long-term about Disney year-round for years on end. Hate to break it to you but we're the weird ones.

NONE of us* are the typical guest and it's worth keeping that in mind when trying to make guesses about consumer behavior.

With that said, if single purchase day-of tickets weren't such a thing, one would wonder what all the lines at the ticket booths at the fronts of the parks are about. Wouldn't most of these people already have their tickets?

*Yes, what I'm saying is most guests aren't going to act like you in the parks or the resorts. Most guests aren't going to act like me, either. We are both outliers.

Miss Bella

This forum is not even remotely close to representative of the average Disney guest nor really, is any other forum where people sign up to talk long-term about Disney year-round for years on end. Hate to break it to you but we're the weird ones.

NONE of us* are the typical guest and it's worth keeping that in mind when trying to make guesses about consumer behavior.

With that said, if single purchase day-of tickets weren't such a thing, one would wonder what all the lines at the ticket booths at the fronts of the parks are about. Wouldn't most of these people already have their tickets?

*Yes, what I'm saying is most guests aren't going to act like you in the parks or the resorts. Most guests aren't going to act like me, either. We are both outliers.
I've never seen long lines at the ticket counters.

MrPromey

It's not less money for Disney if your staying at a resort and going out for a nice dinner at night. I guess if your the type of person that likes to go go go 12 to 16 hours a day on a vacation you might get bored, but I think most like a little down time on vacation.

The number one reason I hear people say they don't like Disney other than the cost is that it's exhausting and they'd rather take a relaxing vacation.

In your case, if that nice dinner is in the bubble, you're absolutely right but do they have enough tables at resorts across property to support that for the number of rooms assuming 2+ guests per room?

If your behavior on vacation at Disney World were typical, the entire property would look very different from what it does.

And do you know why people complain about it being exhausting after it being expensive? Because most feel, at the prices they are paying, that they need to maximize their time to get value from that.

If you're cool paying a lot to stay in a Disney resort that offers less than average services at it's price point, paying good money to go to a park and spend half a day or less there and then also paying more than is typical for the quality, for a meal on property, you are almost Disney's perfect guest. If you also sign up for a couple of desert parties and you're happy, you are their perfect guest.

No judgement here. If you have the money and you see value in it - more power to you. You're clearly having exactly the vacation you want and are happy with your spend so it all works out for you.

I would venture to guess, that again, you are not the typical guest, though.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t dispute that we’re weird, but I believe the overwhelming majority of guests already have their tickets before going to the parks. The lines are long, but it’s only a small fraction of the total number of guests.

Miss Bella

In your case, if that nice dinner is in the bubble, you're absolutely right but do they have enough tables at resorts across property to support that for the number of rooms assuming 2+ guests per room?

If your behavior on vacation ad Disney World were typical, the entire property would look very different from what it does.

And do you know why people complain about it being exhausting after it being expensive? Because most feel, at the prices they are paying, that they need to maximize their time to get value from that.

If you're cool paying a lot to stay in a Disney resort that offers less than average services at it's price point, paying good money to go to a park and spend half a day or less there and then also paying more than is typical for the quality, for a meal on property, you are almost Disney's perfect guest. If you also sign up for a couple of desert parties and you're happy, you are their perfect guest.

No judgement here. If you have the money and you see value in it - more power to you. You're clearly having exactly the vacation you want and are happy with your spend so it all works out for you.

I would venture to guess, that again, you are not the typical guest, though.
All I can say is that pre- covid the resorts were full, the pools in the afternoons were packed and the restaurants at night were packed. I may not be the typical guest, but there are certainly a lot like me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With APs or multi-day tickets it’s actually pretty easy and the extra cost is zero (with an AP) or negligible (with a multi-day ticket). If I’m at WDW for 10 days and I get a 10 day ticket that costs me less than $75 more than a 5 day ticket so pretty negligible extra cost. So if I was going to spend 14 hours a day in a park for 5 days I can spread that out over 10 days but only spend 7 hours a day on average in the parks. That may mean one day I go to MK from rope drop to close and another day I sleep in, spend the day at the pool and then go to EPCOT at 4 or 5PM, walk world showcase, eat dinner, catch the night show and leave without doing any rides. For me I like to spend a little time at the resorts, a little time at DS just walking around and shopping and I like to have a nice meal or 5 while I’m there. Yes, the rides are the main draw, but I like the other stuff too and I just feel more relaxed knowing I’ve got time to do it all. If I had one day at WDW I’d probably do a commando style rope drop to close at MK doing all or as many rides as possible. Luckily I don’t need to do that most cases. I have for the most part determined that if I’m going in the summer I need more than a week. I need those afternoon pool and room breaks to get out of the heat. Going in more mild weather when the parks are open less hours I am more likely to go without a break.

MrPromey

I've never seen long lines at the ticket counters.
I can't help you with what you haven't seen but I've seen plenty. Especially at the Ticket and Transportation Center.

Maybe since you're only there for half a day and because you already have your tickets and walk by, you don't notice them but then ask yourself, why have so many of them along with the switchbacks if they aren't ever used? One would think, after so many redos over the years, adding LCD screens, etc, that if they didn't need that many, they wouldn't still have that many, right?

Miss Bella

I can't help you with what you haven't seen but I've seen plenty. Especially at the Ticket and Transportation Center.

Maybe since you're only there for half a day and because you already have your tickets and walk by, you don't notice them but then ask yourself, why have so many of them along with the switchbacks if they aren't ever used? One would think, after so many redos over the years, adding LCD screens, etc, that if they didn't need that many, they wouldn't still have that many, right?
You also don't know if they are buying one day tickets or multi day tickets. They are certainly not the majority and not where disney makes money. They money off people like me that spend thousands on a one week vacation.

TrainsOfDisney

Sorry but to me the point of a theme park is to ride rides.
And that’s fine for you. I’ll go to Studios just to see citizens of Hollywood and to Epcot just to see voices of Liberty. Pretty sure I’ve been to magic kingdom and just watched Main Street entertainers and muppets, although usually I’ll do an attraction at Mk either the train or the riverboat.

Same at Dollywood. I love the coasters at Dollywood but I rarely ride them anymore, usually I’m there to see the entertainment, watch the craftsmen, and eat at miss Lillian’s. And ride the train of course!

That’s the beauty of a good theme park, it offers many things for many people.

lazyboy97o

I don't think you know what's really going on in their heads from what they say on the internet either. In my experience, there can be a vast difference between what people type into their computer and how they actually behave.
While some people may not act as extreme as they type, it is part of a dangerous processes of normalization. Outright lies and conspiracies are now the “other side” that “deserves” due consideration. We’ve seen dangerous actions spin out of what starts as trolling and rather incoherent nonsense.

I don’t dispute that we’re weird, but I believe the overwhelming majority of guests already have their tickets before going to the parks. The lines are long, but it’s only a small fraction of the total number of guests.
I don’t remember exact figures, but across the industry and even at Walt Disney World the number of people who still buy tickets day of at the park is surprisingly high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom