Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Update to the vaccine timeline outline in red. In this update: More specifics on Moderna's timetable...

Reading about the status of various vaccines have left me confused as to which vaccines are which and where they are in development and who's saying what about how far along they are. So, I made an outline...

Monderna/NIH

Type: mRNA (requires ultra-cold storage, -20C, and 2 doses)​
Warp Speed: $2.5B, for 100M doses​
Phase 3: Started Jul 27, 30K people, enrollment completes in September​
Earliest according to CDC: “Vaccine B” – local health departments, prepare for Oct (just in case, if all goes very well). Late Oct or Nov. 1M doses by Oct, 10M by Nov, 15M by Dec.​
Earliest according to manufacturer: by the end of 2020. It's *possible* that interim results in November can lead to Federal emergency use approval in December, otherwise, beginning of 2021.

Biontech/Pfizer/Fosun

Type: mRNA (requires ultra-cold storage, -70C, and 2 doses)​
Phase 3: Started Jul 27, 30K people​
Warp Speed: $1.9B for 100M doses (by Dec?)​
Earliest according to CDC: “Vaccine A” – local health departments, prepare for Oct (just in case, if all goes very well). Late Oct or Nov. 2M doses by end of Oct, 10-20M doses by Nov, 20-30M dosed by Dec.​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Regulatory review in Oct. which could theoretically lead to early end of Phase 3. Now, not going to happen until Thanksgiving the earliest.​

AstraZeneca/Oxford
Type: altered chimp adenovirus​
Warp Speed: $1.2B​
Phase 3: in progress, recently started, study paused due to unexplained illness. Restarted in Europe, still on hold in the US.​
Earliest according to CDC: Doses can be delivered by Oct.​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Doses available by the end of 2020.​

Johnson & Johnson / Beth Israel

Type: altered adenovirus (the one they used for an Ebola vaccine) [1 dose, only refrigeration to store]​
Warp Speed: $456M (+$1B if proven successful for 100M doses)​
Phase 3: just started, but will use a much larger test group (60k people), could be done by the end of 2020, enrollment now on a temporary pause due to one subject's unexplained illness​
Earliest according to CDC: Nothing from CDC yet about this vaccine.​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Beginning of 2021. Plan to make a billion doses.​

Novavax

Type: sticking proteins on microscopic particles​
Warp Speed: $1.6B​
Phase 3: just started, could be done by the beginning of 2021​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Plan to make 100M doses by 1st Q of 2021.​

Phase 3:

Final phase of trials. A large number of people are given either the vaccine or placebo, double blind​
Wait to see if there are negative reactions to the vaccine. If there are, vaccine is scrubbed.​
Wait to see how much more the vaccinated group is protected compared to the placebo. To be effective, people should be at least 50% more protected.​
If early results show extraordinarily good results, then this Phase can end early, because it would be unethical to leave those who received the placebo to be unprotected by an effective vaccine – this is what leads to an “October vaccine,” which, is only a result of extraordinarily good results.​
An independent review board evaluates the effectiveness. The FDA will not approve (or, is not supposed to approve) a vaccine without the board's go-ahead.​
In addition to governmental approval (or "fast-tracking"), the manufacturers themselves can decide not to release the vaccine until what they consider are appropriate evaluations are made. And, in fact, have pledged to "follow the science" and not release the vaccine until large trials and the science show that it is both safe and effective.

In short, as Dr. Fauci has said, an October vaccine is not impossible, just very unlikely.

Heppenheimer

It's a cumulative number of deaths in Florida where the deceased's primary residence is somewhere other than Florida.
Is there any particular reason why Florida breaks the numbers down into those categories? I can imagine that Florida, at any given time, has a particularly high number of people in the state with legal residency elsewhere, probably moreso than any other state. But just becase those people might have a different primary address doesn't change the overall situation.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Update to the vaccine timeline outline in red. In this update: More specifics on Moderna's timetable...

Reading about the status of various vaccines have left me confused as to which vaccines are which and where they are in development and who's saying what about how far along they are. So, I made an outline...

Monderna/NIH

Type: mRNA (requires ultra-cold storage, -20C, and 2 doses)​
Warp Speed: $2.5B, for 100M doses​
Phase 3: Started Jul 27, 30K people, enrollment completes in September​
Earliest according to CDC: “Vaccine B” – local health departments, prepare for Oct (just in case, if all goes very well). Late Oct or Nov. 1M doses by Oct, 10M by Nov, 15M by Dec.​
Earliest according to manufacturer: by the end of 2020. It's *possible* that interim results in November can lead to Federal emergency use approval in December, otherwise, beginning of 2021.

Biontech/Pfizer/Fosun

Type: mRNA (requires ultra-cold storage, -70C, and 2 doses)​
Phase 3: Started Jul 27, 30K people​
Warp Speed: $1.9B for 100M doses (by Dec?)​
Earliest according to CDC: “Vaccine A” – local health departments, prepare for Oct (just in case, if all goes very well). Late Oct or Nov. 2M doses by end of Oct, 10-20M doses by Nov, 20-30M dosed by Dec.​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Regulatory review in Oct. which could theoretically lead to early end of Phase 3. Now, not going to happen until Thanksgiving the earliest.​

AstraZeneca/Oxford
Type: altered chimp adenovirus​
Warp Speed: $1.2B​
Phase 3: in progress, recently started, study paused due to unexplained illness. Restarted in Europe, still on hold in the US.​
Earliest according to CDC: Doses can be delivered by Oct.​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Doses available by the end of 2020.​

Johnson & Johnson / Beth Israel

Type: altered adenovirus (the one they used for an Ebola vaccine) [1 dose, only refrigeration to store]​
Warp Speed: $456M (+$1B if proven successful for 100M doses)​
Phase 3: just started, but will use a much larger test group (60k people), could be done by the end of 2020, enrollment now on a temporary pause due to one subject's unexplained illness​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Beginning of 2021. Plan to make a billion doses.​

Novavax

Type: sticking proteins on microscopic particles​
Warp Speed: $1.6B​
Phase 3: just started, could be done by the beginning of 2021​
Earliest according to manufacturer: Plan to make 100M doses by 1st Q of 2021.​

Phase 3:

Final phase of trials. A large number of people are given either the vaccine or placebo, double blind​
Wait to see if there are negative reactions to the vaccine. If there are, vaccine is scrubbed.​
Wait to see how much more the vaccinated group is protected compared to the placebo. To be effective, people should be at least 50% more protected.​
If early results show extraordinarily good results, then this Phase can end early, because it would be unethical to leave those who received the placebo to be unprotected by an effective vaccine – this is what leads to an “October vaccine,” which, is only a result of extraordinarily good results.​
An independent review board evaluates the effectiveness. The FDA will not approve (or, is not supposed to approve) a vaccine without the board's go-ahead.​
In addition to governmental approval (or "fast-tracking"), the manufacturers themselves can decide not to release the vaccine until what they consider are appropriate evaluations are made. And, in fact, have pledged to "follow the science" and not release the vaccine until large trials and the science show that it is both safe and effective.

In short, as Dr. Fauci has said, an October vaccine is not impossible, just very unlikely.

Seems like the “warp drive” is offline, Mr. Scott

Is there any particular reason why Florida breaks the numbers down into those categories? I can imagine that Florida, at any given time, has a particularly high number of people in the state with legal residency elsewhere, probably moreso than any other state. But just becase those people might have a different primary address doesn't change the overall situation.
The simplest answer is to have a political “escape hatch”...lure tourists in from outside (which Florida has to have...100%...period), but still have the ability to say “it’s not us!!” If things don’t go well.

No real advantage to it.

MaryJaneP

Is it possible that people stop "practicing" wearing a mask and actually WEAR one?

When there is a vaccine, will social distancing go away (i.e. HEA HUB crowding) since if being vaccinated may not be visually obvious or maybe could be easily faked with fake documents? This is the nation of fake news,

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because Florida's governor thinks of citizens of the US who don't live in Florida the same way the president of the US thinks of citizens of the world who weren't born in America.

Also, teasing out any number of people for any reason makes their numbers (and the governor) look not as bad.

Heppenheimer

The hoaxers have long since taken their “ball” and gone home...for the most part
They still pop up every few pages or so, although it tends to be different individuals each time. They try to play with the big kids briefly, but they quickly realize their conspiracy theories are no match for the collective subject matter expertise that congregates here.

Last week, the emphasis of the conspiracies shifted to vaccines in which the data has yet to be even finalized, much less released for regulatory review. That conspiracy theory lasted about a day.

Over the weekend, it was hospitals cooking the books to maximize government COVID payments. I'm pretty certain we've shot that one down, but it might show up again.

MrPromey

Is there something wrong with only a half day in the parks? I’ve always stayed on site and wouldn’t do it any other way.

From Disney's perspective, that's a lot of missed opportunity to sell you food and merchandise, especially since that gives you a lot more incentive to rent a car and leave the bubble in search of things to do. (This may not be what you do, but it's what a lot of people would start thinking about doing after the first day or two).

From general guest perspective, it easily calls into question the value in a day at the parks if it quickly becomes apparent that there isn't a whole day (not even half a day) worth of activities to do.* Most people don't get that Disney has been relying on crowds and waits to make their Florida parks feel like all-day experiences for a long time now.

Most are shocked to find out that compared to Disneyland, even the Magic Kingdom is a little bit light on attractions.

I mean, today, if you had six fastpasses for Epcot and there were no tier restrictions, what would you even use all six on, assuming you couldn't use them on the same attraction, twice? I'm curious what that list would look like since there are usually only three attractions in the park that really even need it most of the time and it just so happens, they won't let you get one for all three on the same day with the current (well, pre-pandemic) system because they already know there isn't enough.

So yeah, you may be happy to go for 5-7 days and do repeat half day trips. I don't think that's how most people going do it, though and I'm pretty sure in the best of situations, Disney would see lots of angry people with single day tickets ed about paying so much and now waiting for everything while also seeing shorter bookings from resort guests who now don't need as many days to do everything.

Before you think because two other people in this forum agreed with you that the way you visit the parks is typical, ask yourself why your resort (especially the pool) isn't a miserable hell-hole mid-day when the parks are packed if this kind of thing is common practice?

I can see why you would like what you're suggesting but I'm not sure how less money and lower overall guest satisfaction is a win for them.

*Remember the dumb comparisons they once made to the cost of a movie ticket or a sports ticket vs. a theme park ticket and how one is only for a couple hours and how the other is a much greater value? I do because there are people around here who have been parroting that for years.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They still pop up every few pages or so, although it tends to be different individuals each time. They try to play with the big kids briefly, but they quickly realize their conspiracy theories are no match for the collective subject matter expertise that congregates here.

Last week, the emphasis of the conspiracies shifted to vaccines in which the data has yet to be even finalized, much less released for regulatory review. That conspiracy theory lasted about a day.

Over the weekend, it was hospitals cooking the books to maximize government COVID payments. I'm pretty certain we've shot that one down, but it might show up again.
I particularly love the hospitals “making so much money” off it...since electives and optional things are still way down...which is where the money is made.

Hospitals will be asking for bailouts next year...especially if things flip.

Another side tin foil hat “idea” of the spring was states were “banking” money on covid deaths...a whole $22,000 per.

That’s $356,000,000 dollars in my state.
WE’RE RICH!!!

...but then there’s the $12,000,000,000 hole blown in state and corporate tax revenues this year...and the projected $20,000,000,000 over the next two...

“MAGA accounting”

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is there something wrong with only a half day in the parks? I’ve always stayed on site and wouldn’t do it any other way.
Disney loves you.

But you’ve been there a billion times and your using annuals, aren’t you?

Your situation (just like me) is not what pricing/value can be determined by. We’ll all be crushed if a half day for $150 a head is considered “normal”

Small world isn’t that exciting

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Orange County leaders are cracking down on businesses not following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. Now they have a new area of focus: theme parks. The Orange County strike teams will start doing surprise checks at area theme parks. This is a county-wide effort going on for several weeks now.

"So far over 3,600, to be precise 3,620, different business sites have been visited," said Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings.

"Now the teams are hitting the major attractions. "In addition to smaller businesses, the strike teams will be once again visiting major theme parks unannounced very soon."

Mayor Demings says the strike teams have been going out for more than two months."

MrPromey

It's been largely cyclical.

Unless you go under some of those Disneyland threads, where it seems to be the rule, not the exception.

It's sobering when you see it happen from accounts that aren't new. Not that it means anything but it's just a reminder we really don't know what's going on in the heads of the people standing right next to us. (and vice versa)

rowrbazzle

The parks were exempt from the initial shutdown orders in California. Guidelines were recently going to be released but the parks didn’t like them, so they were withheld for additional work. What other groups of businesses were specially exempt and then got to renegotiate their reopening guidelines?
Yes, I recall that from a couple weeks ago. I thought it was ridiculous then too.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's sobering when you see it happen from accounts that aren't new. Not that it means anything but it's just a reminder we really don't know what's going on in the heads of the people standing right next to us. (and vice versa)
I don't think you know what's really going on in their heads from what they say on the internet either. In my experience, there can be a vast difference between what people type into their computer and how they actually behave.

Miss Bella

Disney loves you.

But you’ve been there a billion times and your using annuals, aren’t you?

Your situation (just like me) is not what pricing/value can be determined by. We’ll all be crushed if a half day for $150 a head is considered “normal”

Small world isn’t that exciting
No annual passes for us. We come from the other side of the country and never go for less than a week. Even our first trip we were back at the resort by 3pm,the pool and then out for a nice dinner around 7 or 8. We take full advantage of the resort amenities including the gym and spa. It is a vacation after all.
I've always wondered how people can stay in the parks from open to close it sounds horrible.

Jrb1979

No annual passes for us. We come from the other side of the country and never go for less than a week. Even our first trip we were back at the resort by 3pm,the pool and then out for a nice dinner around 7 or 8. We take full advantage of the resort amenities including the gym and spa. It is a vacation after all.
I've always wondered how people can stay in the parks from open to close it sounds horrible.
Its easy. I do it at every amusement park I go to. My question is how people see it worth it to pay Disney prices for half a day at the parks. It blows my mind how many would waste park hopping just to to Epcot to eat and not ride anything. Sorry but to me the point of a theme park is to ride rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom