Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've heard from a few people that they expect masks to be required through about Easter next year. Well see, but I thought that was a realistic expectation. Disney will probably continue to require them even after central Florida drops or lowers the requirement.
That sounds about right depending on the timing of a vaccine and/or the trend of cases in the country. One of the things Disney has going for it is they have established their desire to keep the parks safe. Removing the safety precautions would reverse that progress. They need the masses to return so even if Orange County decided to reverse the mask requirement that’s not going to really impact Disney. It might make some locals and some Covid denier types more interested in going to the parks without a mask, but it won’t help with drawing the tourists back in large numbers. It’s a losing strategy economically.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wouldn’t expect too much movement until the positivity rate is consistently below 5%. But I could be wrong. :hilarious:
I would hope that even after the positivity rate drops below 5% we continue to require masks and social distance and restrict large group gatherings. Percent positive has been below 5% where I live since June and we still have a full mask requirement, indoor dining is still limited with no bars and large group gatherings are still not allowed. The small spike in cases we saw this summer was primarily driven by people traveling to hot spots so in theory if the hot spots all look much better now, the cases should fall even more. I’m optimistic that my kids will get some in person school in this school year. We all just need to do our parts, make smart decisions and avoid situations that we know are not in the best interest.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Some good news for Orange County and Disneyland -

"Orange County in California has been removed from the state’s watch list for COVID-19 hotspots. The removal from the watch list comes after hospitalizations and other key metrics have continued a downward trend after a sustained period of time. The latest positivity rate for the county sits at 5.4%, which is below the threshold of 8% set by the state of California.

The county must remain off of the watch list for 15 consecutive days before schools can reopen, which is set at September 8th right now.

As far as Disneyland is concerned, there have been no changes in guidance from the state. Officials say that they are expecting new information from the state of California as it relates to businesses in the coming week."

oceanbreeze77

"Orange County in California has been removed from the state’s watch list for COVID-19 hotspots. The removal from the watch list comes after hospitalizations and other key metrics have continued a downward trend after a sustained period of time. The latest positivity rate for the county sits at 5.4%, which is below the threshold of 8% set by the state of California.

The county must remain off of the watch list for 15 consecutive days before schools can reopen, which is set at September 8th right now.

As far as Disneyland is concerned, there have been no changes in guidance from the state. Officials say that they are expecting new information from the state of California as it relates to businesses in the coming week."

The danger with the OC coming off the list is that its the OC. Great they got off of the watch list but anyone from CA will tell you this is not "good" news per se. They could eff it up for the rest of us here in SoCal. The OC is the Florida of California.

rowrbazzle

I would think that the success of Disney World (from a safety standpoint) would work in their favor for Disneyland. I think they should be allowed to open.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1598271386423.png

1598271426794.png

jaxonp

I have to say, Disney is doing a fantastic job. Just got back from a week at WDW after preparing for a terrible experience based on some of what I’ve read on here. Social distancing is working pretty well in most places at WDW. I wish the rest of the country had the the companies leadership, in regards to how to manage the pandemic, and was taking things so seriously. I saw so many cast members just walking around and cleaning the parks and the resorts. Most guests, 98% are wearing masks and doing a pretty good job distancing. If you have a mask off and a cast member sees you, they’ll say something. It happened to me two times while taking a drink. While it seemed annoying at first it wasn’t. They are just trying to remind us to put it back on. The problem seems to be out and about in the midways sometimes ... we move on to the next thing not thinking about keeping distance but I think that’s more habit than not for most people and then we would try to spread out once we realized we were slipping back into normal times....

Shot out to the lifeguards at pools who are cleaning each chair, lounge, rails going into the pool all day... and to the cast members in the resorts routinely wiping down door knobs and refilling the endless hand sanatizing stations all day. Impressive.

I haven’t felt as safe out and about anywhere. Disney is on it!

The negative I have is that many restaurants are not open or have limited menus. It is hard to find breakfast in the mornings and most quick serve places seem to have lowered the quality of food.

djkidkaz

One thing I can't help but think about as I traverse the parks is the amount of social distancing stickers all over the ground. At some point we will start to move away from this and these stickers will have to be removed. I can't fathom the amount of work to get these stickers off the ground that have melted onto the pavement from the Florida heat as well as the amount of fading that will be left in queue lines and on walkways. Imagine walking through the Rise queue and every 6 feet their is a faded rectangle on the ground from where a sticker once was.

Chip Chipperson

One thing I can't help but think about as I traverse the parks is the amount of social distancing stickers all over the ground. At some point we will start to move away from this and these stickers will have to be removed. I can't fathom the amount of work to get these stickers off the ground that have melted onto the pavement from the Florida heat as well as the amount of fading that will be left in queue lines and on walkways. Imagine walking through the Rise queue and every 6 feet their is a faded rectangle on the ground from where a sticker once was.

Maybe a good power washing (or 20) will fix that when the time comes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I long for the day when our biggest problem is getting the stickers off the ground :cool:

Ben_since_1971

The fading would be a ‘remember when’ monument to how it was during these unique times.

Jwink

I’ve already heard rumblings of that. In the other thread there’s talk of a desire to see the mask rule being lifted soon in Orange County and at WDW and people trying to point at the downward trend as a reason that fans should be allowed in the stands for NFL and College football. Hopefully at least some leaders have learned the lessons of our “lost summer” and will think twice about moving too quickly. The economic impact has been pretty devastating. If we keep wearing masks, keep distancing, keep indoor dining to a minimum and continue to discourage large group gatherings we could be looking at a pretty substantial decline in cases nationwide. Maybe then we can get kids back to school, have some version of a holiday season and Most importantly keep a larger portion of our economy open longer term.
Unfortunately I think the mandated masks will be lifted soon 🙄🙁

SamusAranX

Weekends are always lower, but very encouraging. Let's see how this week plays out. currently 7 day avg is 3800 cases / 6.33 percent positive rate

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Miami Dolphins and Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez have decided to permit fans at Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes games this season amid the COVID-19 pandemic, at least in September.

According to the Miami Dolphins, 13,000 fans will be permitted to attend the Dolphins’ home opener Sept. 20 against the Buffalo Bills and the Miami Hurricanes’ Sept. 10 home opener against UAB.

That’s well below the stadium’s capacity of 65,326, which can be expanded for big events.

Also, no tailgating will be permitted at Dolphins or Hurricanes games this season."

Disstevefan1

Wow! I guess it’s a good thing we can already start to complain what we will see when they remove the stickers? I think we gotta slow our roll. It’s looking very hopeful, but we are not rid of COVID yet.

It will be a wonderful time when there is no COVID, masks, distancing, and we can resume complaining about the mobs, prices, and the inability to get a good spot to see the parade or fireworks 😀

oceanbreeze77

"The Miami Dolphins and Miami-Dade Mayor Carlos Gimenez have decided to permit fans at Dolphins and Miami Hurricanes games this season amid the COVID-19 pandemic, at least in September.

According to the Miami Dolphins, 13,000 fans will be permitted to attend the Dolphins’ home opener Sept. 20 against the Buffalo Bills and the Miami Hurricanes’ Sept. 10 home opener against UAB.

That’s well below the stadium’s capacity of 65,326, which can be expanded for big events.

Also, no tailgating will be permitted at Dolphins or Hurricanes games this season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom