Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I said there was a disparity so I agree there.

and call me crazy, but nursing homes can take a ton of precautions (and still are) that can prevent some, but not all outbreaks. No visitors, mandatory masks, and cyclical and frequent testing for the staff. Oh, and don’t mandate they take a COVID positive resident back from the hospital.....
For sure we have learned our lessons from the initial outbreak with nursing homes. If you look at the deaths in some of the NE states there is a large percentage from nursing homes. In PA it’s over 2/3 of deaths. What happened here is the community spread was so high in March/April and in a lot of cases the workers would get sick and then infect their co-workers and patients. Back in March into April we just didn’t have the testing capabilty ramped up to test all of the workers frequently. You pretty much had to have severe symptoms to get tested. It’s a huge failure in lack of available testing. Fortunately now that testing is readily available they are frequently testing all workers at long term care facilities. It’s helps a lot. For FL and the sunbelt states their major spike in cases came much later so at the time community spread was at its worst there was already ample testing of workers so the death rate in long term care facilities is way lower.

gerarar

Premium Member
Went to Hersheypark today. There were no plexiglass barricades in between tight queue areas as where in WDW there would be. This is one area where Disney goes up and beyond for safety precautions imo.
Here’s a picture of one of the tight areas. In switchback areas, they would usually leave a lane empty between opposing lanes. This one in the picture was unavoidable really.
07E7C3D2-8012-4CCC-8B5D-D47B7E65D1C6.jpeg

As for everything else, majority of people were wearing their masks and trying to social distance. Security and workers who work the measuring stick in the lines were enforcing social distancing and masks. Was a good sight to see for once versus grocery stores and such.

lazyboy97o

We didn’t have stay at home orders in Canada. Sure most stayed home and limited their outside contact to grocery stores and essential needs, but most trails, parks, and outdoor public spaces remained open and people welcomed.
Trails and parks largely remained open in the US as well. There were instances of some being closed but it was generally in response to crowding, not a first step. Stay at home orders were largely on the honor system and had long lists of exceptions that unless you were gathering a group then in many places you were not going to be questioned about being out.

SamusAranX

For sure we have learned our lessons from the initial outbreak with nursing homes. If you look at the deaths in some of the NE states there is a large percentage from nursing homes. In PA it’s over 2/3 of deaths. What happened here is the community spread was so high in March/April and in a lot of cases the workers would get sick and then infect their co-workers and patients. Back in March into April we just didn’t have the testing capabilty ramped up to test all of the workers frequently. You pretty much had to have severe symptoms to get tested. It’s a huge failure in lack of available testing. Fortunately now that testing is readily available they are frequently testing all workers at long term care facilities. It’s helps a lot. For FL and the sunbelt states their major spike in cases came much later so at the time community spread was at its worst there was already ample testing of workers so the death rate in long term care facilities is way lower.

It’s just frustrating and deflating that the nursing homes got ravaged as they did. That’s many people’s parents, grandparents, friends and so on. I’m glad it toned down here from lessons learned, but to me, some precautions needed were just plain obvious from the start yet weren’t implemented.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Or perhaps there are many people who challenge the "narrative." BTW, your use of the term narrative is spot on. It's what it is... as opposed to reality.

Well, I didn't use the term narrative, but showed how you posted false information that you haven't apologized for yet.

But I can see how you'd rather respond to something other than being called out for blatantly false information you posted. Make a big deal over someone's use of the word "narrative" and not correct misinformation. We see how it works.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well, I didn't use the term narrative, but showed how you posted false information that you haven't apologized for yet.

But I can see how you'd rather respond to something other than being called out for blatantly false information you posted. Make a big deal over someone's use of the word "narrative" and not correct misinformation. We see how it works.
You are wasting your time. If people want to believe Covid is all a hoax or a conspiracy theory there’s nothing you are going to do to convince them otherwise. Best to just move on.

oceanbreeze77

The wedding is an excellent example of why rushing to reopen can't happen. It shows just how easily spread can occur. It is an example of why schools and large public places need to take baby steps when it comes to reopening. Even if you only have 1 case in a town, you MUST take all precautions. That one case, could turn into a super spreader event.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
hopefully people dont take this as a ticket to freedom. We DO NOT need a repeat of the last 2 months.
I’ve already heard rumblings of that. In the other thread there’s talk of a desire to see the mask rule being lifted soon in Orange County and at WDW and people trying to point at the downward trend as a reason that fans should be allowed in the stands for NFL and College football. Hopefully at least some leaders have learned the lessons of our “lost summer” and will think twice about moving too quickly. The economic impact has been pretty devastating. If we keep wearing masks, keep distancing, keep indoor dining to a minimum and continue to discourage large group gatherings we could be looking at a pretty substantial decline in cases nationwide. Maybe then we can get kids back to school, have some version of a holiday season and Most importantly keep a larger portion of our economy open longer term.

oceanbreeze77

I’ve already heard rumblings of that. In the other thread there’s talk of a desire to see the mask rule being lifted soon in Orange County and at WDW and people trying to point at the downward trend as a reason that fans should be allowed in the stands for NFL and College football. Hopefully at least some leaders have learned the lessons of our “lost summer” and will think twice about moving too quickly. The economic impact has been pretty devastating. If we keep wearing masks, keep distancing, keep indoor dining to a minimum and continue to discourage large group gatherings we could be looking at a pretty substantial decline in cases nationwide. Maybe then we can get kids back to school, have some version of a holiday season and Most importantly keep a larger portion of our economy open longer term.
That would be fantastic if we could keep up the good work! But I fear that some leaders didn't learn anything because they didn't see any problem with the spikes this summer. Lets hope that enough leaders did learn their lesson, so that we can minimize the impact of the ones who put politics/image over public safety.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I wouldn’t expect too much movement until the positivity rate is consistently below 5%. But I could be wrong. :hilarious:

CJR

I wouldn’t expect too much movement until the positivity rate is consistently below 5%. But I could be wrong. :hilarious:

I've heard from a few people that they expect masks to be required through about Easter next year. Well see, but I thought that was a realistic expectation. Disney will probably continue to require them even after central Florida drops or lowers the requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom