Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I was writing out explanations for what could be considered point by point on above. But I stopped and deleted what I wrote. Because it’s really pointless. When places will little to no transmission cannot figure it out..When some districts cannot even get a virtual model running...it shows this has not been taken seriously. And when we have not taken this seriously with the level of priority it should have been given, excuses on why it is hard ring hollow.
There’s no excuse for a district not having a virtual plan. My district started working on it in March and continued all summer. I think in some places (especially where the politics highly favored a return to physical school no matter what) districts buried their heads in the sand and didn’t make a plan. Learning will suffer and maybe that’s the point. Make virtual learning so bad that it proves the point that physical learning would have been better.

On the flip side I can’t really say why some districts in areas with low community spread decided to go virtual. I laid out why my district made their call. Some districts near me are still planning a hybrid start to the year. Many schools in the part of NJ near me are going hybrid as well. I know NYC is going to try physical school too. The point is it’s not like there are no places with low spread opening for physical learning. It’s a mix. Each district has its own unique situations too so hard to say they should or shouldn’t open. It really needs to be a local decision.

SamusAranX

Also, you coud be tested too early after exposure and have what would essentially be a false negative only to get sick a few days later. Just look at how long additional positve tests were coming in for the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals after the first players tested positive. So, in that case we'd be sending kids back to school thinking they don't have it and then finding out that they're actually sick after all.

The fact they still can't develop accurate testing without a sizable portion of false negatives baffles me

The Mom

Premium Member
I am really tired of the same few people arguing back and forth - an argument that cannot be won or lost until this ends - whenever that may be, and however we get there. The same people who are against wearing masks, social distancing, etc. present the same arguments - over and over. The same people who argue that masks, social distancing, keeping things closed - or re- closing things - in order to end this keep presenting the same arguments over and over. I suggest that people link to reputable, current news stories with civil discussion, so that others can read items and make up their own minds without having to wade through the constant bickering.

It is fine to present your point of view. It is not fine to keep arguing and making insulting comments about others who do not share your point of view.

This is the only warning people will get before their posting privileges in this thread are suspended.

Just a reminder so people don't PM me asking why they can't post anymore.

Last edited:

oceanbreeze77

EVERYONE wants kids in school. EVERYONE.

But we also want kids to have a healthy life, and when a pandemic that we know little about is causing major disruptions, we need to slow down and do it right.

Virtual learning is going to have impacts on kids development, but imagine the mental impact if their teacher died, and then their classmate, and then their favorite recess guard. Imagine what happens in 2025 when kids can't do what regular kids do because their lungs have been shredded by th 2020 pandemic.

Slow down, do it right.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
EVERYONE wants kids in school. EVERYONE.

But we also want kids to have a healthy life, and when a pandemic that we know little about is causing major disruptions, we need to slow down and do it right.

Virtual learning is going to have impacts on kids development, but imagine the mental impact if their teacher died, and then their classmate, and then their favorite recess guard. Imagine what happens in 2025 when kids can't do what regular kids do because their lungs have been shredded by th 2020 pandemic.

Slow down, do it right.
Imagine suicide rates in students going up. Imagine drug use going up. Imagine students in low income areas not even being able to attend the virtual model. Imagine a virtual model not even being available. Imagine the amazon worker dying because that teacher needs her package. Imagine a student or teacher dying in a car accident on the way to school.

We can do this all day. But I’m thinking an appropriate risk based assessment rather than hysteria would be better. Heck, even basic considerations would be better. In many areas this isn’t occurring. So no, not everyone wants kids back in school.

ImperfectPixie

You do know that kids have had disruptions to their education for generations? Whether it be that they were needed on the farm, outbreaks of other diseases or that their country was being bombed into oblivion. We have been privileged in this country to not have had challenges of this magnitude for as long as we’ve gone without. But no, there is nothing special about this generation that makes us incapable of facing the challenge. If we can’t, that would be terrifying.

This could mean that these kids have to do an extra year at some point, it could mean re-evaluation of the classroom studies, which parents have been complaining about for years that teachers teach to a standardized test. This could mean we look toward other models where vocational schools become a larger part of the conversation.

Let’s not pretend that we haven’t been concerned about the state of schools for the last 40 years and that disruption of this kind may be what it takes to abandon all the stuff that hasn’t been to the benefit of actually educating kids. To stop pretending that the Quality of education provided to the top 10% is the same for the middle and the bottom (but that’s for the other forum, this is just acknowledgement that it exists.). To recognize that there isn’t just one way to educate, and this way might be better for some (not all kids are missing the in school environment due to bullying and other stresses).

If missing two years of 20xx quality of education breaks things, we have *far* bigger problems and it’s good to actually know that so we can adapt sooner than later.

Read to your kids, kids read to parents, write something, even if it’s dozens of pages on the Internet as an adult, practice real world math by building something, following a recipe, value learning about other places around the world. If you can do those things, it will be okay even if the structure of these 2-3 years is all messed up.
THIS...so much.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Imagine suicide rates in students going up. Imagine drug use going up. Imagine students in low income areas not even being able to attend the virtual model. Imagine a virtual model not even being available. Imagine the amazon worker dying because that teacher needs her package. Imagine a student or teacher dying in a car accident on the way to school.

We can do this all day. But I’m thinking an appropriate risk based assessment rather than hysteria would be better. Heck, even basic considerations would be better. In many areas this isn’t occurring. So no, not everyone wants kids back in school.
How do we know each district didn’t do an appropriate risk assessment before deciding? Or is it just hysteria if any district opens all virtual?

disneygeek90

It’s pretty obvious many didn’t. It’s pretty obvious many didn’t even come up with a plan or options depending on the situation.
I have no skin in the school game but two of my closest friends are teachers so I've been mildly interested in what the districts have been telling them over the past few months. I feel like most schools, back in March, assumed we wouldn't be needing to still have this discussion in August. Then when it was June and things were worse than ever, they had to come up with a quick "plan" that was rushed and couldn't be properly evaluated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s pretty obvious many didn’t. It’s pretty obvious many didn’t even come up with a plan or options depending on the situation.
I obviously don’t know the situation in every district all over the country. I can only say what I know and all of the districts near me had a plan and did a lot of assessments. They had many, many meetings for the community to get input. The city of Philadelphia had an epic zoom meeting that started around noon and was finally called after midnight one night. My friend who is a teacher in Philly was on the call the whole time. I work in NJ so I know a lot of people who are in districts in NJ and their kid’s districts all had plans for both physical and virtual. My wife’s family is in NY and they are in the same boat. They all had plans that included physical openings and some are going forward with it. My view may be skewed because PA,NJ and NY were all hit hard in March so the districts around here have been planning since then. Maybe in some other areas the planning never happened because the assumption was physical school would be no problem.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have no skin in the school game but two of my closest friends are teachers so I've been mildly interested in what the districts have been telling them over the past few months. I feel like most schools, back in March, assumed we wouldn't be needing to still have this discussion in August. Then when it was June and things were worse than ever, they had to come up with a quick "plan" that was rushed and couldn't be properly evaluated.
My FIL is in his 70s and a retired Florida school teacher. He is bored with retirement and was planning to go back to teaching next year. As recently as June he was still applying for jobs. After the spike in cases in June/July he decided to stay retired. So I think in parts of FL at least most people thought school would definitely be back in person in the fall even as recently as a few months ago.

DisneyDebRob

I have no skin in the game either and really just looking at both sides and hearing the arguments from all. Wherever you stand on this thing, solutions should have been in place by now. I can’t believe this country is in a position moving into third week of August with so many places obviously clueless on what to do. Whether you are on the side of going back, staying home or somewhere in the middle, we have handled this horrendously.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Mom

Premium Member
The Mom said:

I am really tired of the same few people arguing back and forth - an argument that cannot be won or lost until this ends - whenever that may be, and however we get there. The same people who are against wearing masks, social distancing, etc. present the same arguments - over and over. The same people who argue that masks, social distancing, keeping things closed - or re- closing things - in order to end this keep presenting the same arguments over and over. I suggest that people link to reputable, current news stories with civil discussion, so that others can read items and make up their own minds without having to wade through the constant bickering.

It is fine to present your point of view. It is not fine to keep arguing and making insulting comments about others who do not share your point of view.

This is the only warning people will get before their posting privileges in this thread are suspended.

Just a reminder so people don't PM me asking why they can't post anymore.

Just another reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom