Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kong1802

Also, Germany is apparently operating without about 20% of their teachers, who are high risk and thus staying home. In America over a third of educators are vulnerable - how well do schools operate without 37% or so of their teaching staff?

A lot of districts could barely operate pre covid...... teacher shortages in a lot of places. Using permanent substitutes.

Not sure what happens. The hope is a lot of kids choose virtual instruction and teachers can teach remotely for that population.

Will find out here in about a week if those numbers work out.

kong1802

I just want to know what the plan is. It's safe to say that no state is declining enough that this won't be part of life now. We sit home looking out our windows waiting for a vaccine that may never come? Kids miss out on education? Parents quitting their jobs to enable remote learning? Many working families have felt pressure to rely on family members to watch their kids. Those family members are often in risk categories. I was so relieved when masks and distancing were implemented for businesses. It is working out well and it's the best we can do. Some people still want to put the brakes on businesses that have turned themselves inside out for safety.

This was never supposed to be permanent lockdowns. There is nothing to indicate that it's necessary to close down every business whenever cases spike. It's going to do more harm than good ultimately.

You are speaking in very general terms. I believe most schools are opening with plans in place. Is that not the case where you live?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
They aren't different in that schools should be open in both states. All states. So we agree.
My child will be starting school, in school next month. The district gave us three options to choose from and we selected the in-person, at school, option. Other parents can select a virtual model, if they wish.

G00fyDad

You are speaking in very general terms. I believe most schools are opening with plans in place. Is that not the case where you live?

Our schools just split from the old district (they are morons) and formed their own new district. The new school board thanfully has their heads on straight. They are going to offer either in-school or virtual learning for the students. Plastic barriers beteen desks and one way hallways. Masks are highly encouraged right now but after listening to the parents I think they are going to mandate them. They are also opening the gyms in the schools for extra lunchroom seating. They are also doing away with a-la-cart items in the cafeteria and handing the forks and spoons to the students so there is less "touchy touchy" on surfaces.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The state of Florida is as large as some European countries, so county by county experiences differ. My county has just closed a major testing site while opening multiple testing sites throughout the county - making testing more convenient for people in different areas. This is in addition to the private labs which offer testing. But I agree that there is a lag because the emphasis was put on increasing testing without increasing lab personal to actual conduct the tests.

The numbers of cases, hospitalizations, etc are also different per county. Dade county has more cases in some zipcodes than most counties have for the whole county! So a "hotspot" state has multiple "hotspots." However, I would be hesitant to travel here - if I didn't live here.

I still limit my excursions to what is essential.
This is just my personal comfort level, but my wife and I will be traveling to Perdido Key/beach from Atlanta. We will be driving, stopping only to use the restroom, staying in a condo where we will cook all meals and essentially walking down to the beach everyday and not venturing anywhere else. To me, that is as safe as you can get when traveling. We will still be safe and take all pre-cautions we normally do here at home just with a gorgeous view. I'm not hesitant or nervous at all. If I was traveling to Orlando to go to the parks, i'd certainly have my reservations there.

Casper Gutman

Can't get on board with that. Lockdowns are not a sustainable way of combating this virus. They cause more long term harm then long term good. Maybe DizzyWerld should be closed. I don't particularly care about that, which I guess makes this the wrong place for me. 🤣
I absolutely agree that lockdowns aren't sustainable. They're a tool that allows us to come up with long-term solutions and establish coherent messaging. But until we get serious about that - and everyone gets serious about the virus - lockdowns are all we've got. Its an axe when we need a scalpel, but it seems to be our only tool.

mickeymiss

Not the case here. Some schools are merely discussing a mix of home and remote. Parents I know are even more angry about that. My friend is a nurse and her husband is a teacher. Even if her husband does remote teaching, he will be occupied and can't watch their 6 year son who would normally be in school. What do they do? They have had to discuss the reality of one of them quitting. They don't have anyone to watch their child.

We have low case numbers in my state.

Are people not believing the studies that children are less affected? One large study said they are less likely to have it and spread it. If we can enhance safety and distancing for the teachers, that's the key. Face shields? There are a lot of options.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Other parents can select a virtual model, if they wish.
That’s good, so long as the parents who choose that option take responsibility for their child’s development.
I absolutely agree that lockdowns aren't sustainable. They're a tool that allows us to come up with long-term solutions and establish coherent messaging. But until we get serious about that - and everyone gets serious about the virus - lockdowns are all we've got. Its an axe when we need a scalpel, but it seems to be our only tool.
Sometimes the axe just destroys everything though.

Casper Gutman

That’s good, so long as the parents who choose that option take responsibility for their child’s development.

Sometimes the axe just destroys everything though.
Ah, but when the forest fire rages, you may need the destruction of the axe. Although... I'm not sure what use a scalpel would be in that scenario.

This may not be the best metaphor.

LukeS7

Are people not believing the studies that children are less affected? One large study said they are less likely to have it and spread it. If we can enhance safety and distancing for the teachers, that's the key. Face shields? There are a lot of options.
You also have to worry about the families of the children though. Some could live with older relatives that are more susceptible. The main thing I see as bringing into question the validity of those studies is the smaller sample size (according to the CDC they make up ~2% of cases, so around 6,600, and most likely even less in any given study). We know that it still can cause death in children (though it is low at 3 US deaths). They are less likely to experience severe symptoms, but that means they are more likely to spread it unnoticed. In the CDC's report from April on this, they address that aspect:
Pediatric COVID-19 patients might not have fever or cough. Social distancing and everyday preventive behaviors remain important for all age groups because patients with less serious illness and those without symptoms likely play an important role in disease transmission.
Additionally, I have to wonder if a part of the reason pediatric cases are so low (2%) is at least in part due to lockdowns and school shutdowns. Yes, older kids will probably still try to go out to see friends, but for younger kids, they're pretty much guaranteed to be following lockdowns if their parents are following guidelines.

Dranth

I am confused by the people who keep saying children are less affected. Less is not none and while so far it seems like they do not easily spread the virus, they still can. You are then putting susceptible adults in an enclosed room with 30-40 kids for 6 or 7 hours a day. Do that every day for 7-8 months and you don’t think that even with the low odds they are gong to start infecting the teachers and school staff? What do you do with them then? Tell the teachers to suck it up? How many are you going to find that are willing to come into that situation as you lose the ones that quit out of concern for their own safety or actually get sick?

I am also confused by the people who seem to equate delayed in person schooling to some kind of life long death sentence. Kids are resilient and will recover. They will still get their education. They can still learn. Even if we had to close all schools for a year (no I am not suggesting we do this) they could start at that same grade level next year and continue on. Children get held back for various reasons all the time and still turn out okay.

Better yet, why can’t we try something creative. We have colleges reopening so use them. You have tons of collage age kids who are also lower on the risk scale who are seeking a degree in education. They could staff at risk teachers’ rooms using rotating internships while the teacher themselves remote in and monitor and do most of the actual teaching. That way you have someone to physically be there with the kids allowing parents to do what they need to do while the trained professional (teacher) is still providing the planning and lesson structure. By doing so we continue the education of the young and give invaluable experience to upcoming educators while also minimize risk across the board.

I am sure there are tons of holes in that idea but why not try something? Why just back to normal when things are anything but right now?

kong1802

Not the case here. Some schools are merely discussing a mix of home and remote. Parents I know are even more angry about that. My friend is a nurse and her husband is a teacher. Even if her husband does remote teaching, he will be occupied and can't watch their 6 year son who would normally be in school. What do they do? They have had to discuss the reality of one of them quitting. They don't have anyone to watch their child.

We have low case numbers in my state.

They should have a plan to return to 5 days when appropriate, that's how ours was. Hybrid for 9 weeks, then the next 9 weeks brick and mortar full time if levels fall.

Hopefully work schedules can be shifted around school schedules, I know its difficult. Also know with three kids that remote working and schooling is not the most fun. Very very very challenging. Hopefully with the hybrid approach it gives them enough of a reprieve and that as the year progresses we return to a more normal normal.

It's why I am very frustrated that we are somehow still in this mess with seemingly little progress. Why I'm frustrated that testing is still an issue. Why I'm frustrated that people still wont wear masks. They are causing people to now have another difficult school semester. It's infuriating.

Kevin_W

Additionally, I have to wonder if a part of the reason pediatric cases are so low (2%) is at least in part due to lockdowns and school shutdowns. Yes, older kids will probably still try to go out to see friends, but for younger kids, they're pretty much guaranteed to be following lockdowns if their parents are following guidelines.

From my anecdotal experience in my town - kids locked down like everyone else for March and April. By May, less so. and by June as I drive around I see kids hanging out with their friends pretty much everywhere. So, I don't see a lot of difference in germ exposure between what is happening now and letting kids go back to school - particularly if the school is following good hygiene practices and having kids/teachers wear masks.

Kingoglow

If you are choosing to send your kids to in-person schooling, you should have a back up plan for what you will do when the teachers become sick and are unable to babysit your kids all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom