Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSLS

So I guess the "Good" news would be that the deaths aren't all from yesterday (please note I am not saying those deaths are in anyway good, just that it's not worst case). However, the 2 notes at the bottom are quite interesting, and would lend some explanation as to why we haven't seen the death increases (yet).

While the number of new cases has trended up over the last few weeks, the number of deaths has begun to reflect the same upward trend though "significant delays" in data reporting, as the state says, make interpreting short-term trends from that statistic less reliable.

The state's number of deaths represents permanent Florida residents who have died from COVID-19.

oceanbreeze77

So I guess the "Good" news would be that the deaths aren't all from yesterday (please note I am not saying those deaths are in anyway good, just that it's not worst case). However, the 2 notes at the bottom are quite interesting, and would lend some explanation as to why we haven't seen the death increases (yet).
right, the more concerning statistic today was hospitalizations. Thats the highest its been

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
its just bad news out of Florida today. I wouldn't be surprised if they start matching with Texas/arizona in the next week.

It is just a consistent message I have heard from many in the medical field in my state...essentially, "we can put together more beds, but staffing could be a problem."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. A cynical way to look at this is for weeks we have been hearing that even as cases surged deaths did not so it’s not a big deal. If the death numbers have a “significant delay” then there‘s a good chance that the number reported now is related to several weeks ago and whatever is happening now won’t be reported for a few weeks still. We all knew there was a time lag between when people get infected and for the unlucky ones when they pass away. What this seems to suggest is there’s then another lag between the actual deaths and the reporting of them. I think it would be nice to know how they define significant delays.

hopemax

9000 new cases.....HORRID positivity rate
View attachment 482349
Reminder: Due to testing delays, these 9000 new cases are people who got tested 7-10 days ago. Which means that if these people haven't been self-isolating, they could have been infecting another set of people, who could have also infected another set of people. Today's ground situation is likely worse than it appears. But we won't know because we're back to inadequate supply of testing reagents and overburdened test capacity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Reminder: Due to testing delays, these 9000 new cases are people who got tested 7-10 days ago. Which means that if these people haven't been self-isolating, they could have been infecting another set of people, who could have also infected another set of people. Today's ground situation is likely worse than it appears. But we won't know because we're back to inadequate supply of testing reagents and overburdened test capacity.
How did we get to this point? We knew months ago that the key to a successful re-opening was to have adequate testing capability. Things seemed to be going pretty well. How did we fall this far behind? Shouldn’t we have had enough time while we are all literally locked in our houses for months to get ramped up better? I know it’s easy to just blame the government for everything, even stuff they can’t control, but in this case it seems like an epic failure. We should have been able to do better.

Chomama

How did we get to this point? We knew months ago that the key to a successful re-opening was to have adequate testing capability. Things seemed to be going pretty well. How did we fall this far behind? Shouldn’t we have had enough time while we are all literally locked in our houses for months to get ramped up better? I know it’s easy to just blame the government for everything, even stuff they can’t control, but in this case it seems like an epic failure. We should have been able to do better.
Again, it’s so frustrating. I was now tested 6.5 days ago and just called. No results from before July 3 yet. It’s ridiculous. And I live in an area that is having a surge AND starts school in 3 weeks. Total mess

oceanbreeze77

I think the biggest mistake was putting more focus on getting the economy going than controlling the virus itself. Instead of focusing on ramping up tests and contact tracing, the focus was on how to open everything up as soon as possible. If we had put more focus on controlling the virus it would have resulted in safer conditions for our economy to heal.

hopemax

Look at all the discussions here, it's awfully hard to convince people that something is a problem until it's on your doorstep. How do you convince decision makers that you need hundreds of thousands more of something in case something MIGHT happen a month from now? I am guessing that decision makers thought they could just move supply around to where it was needed if spikes occurred somewhere. They didn't plan on CA, AZ, TX, FL blowing up all at the same time.

Casper Gutman

To add to this, we still have massive shortages of PPE. Hospital workers are running out. By this time everybody should have access to N95 masks, which could really control the outbreak.

The lockdown was intended to buy us time for medium- and long-term planning. That planning never took place. Now all we can do is try to act responsibly as individuals.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the biggest mistake was putting more focus on getting the economy going than controlling the virus itself. Instead of focusing on ramping up tests and contact tracing, the focus was on how to open everything up as soon as possible. If we had put more focus on controlling the virus it would have resulted in safer conditions for our economy to heal.
The best way to get the economy fully going would be to have enough testing to stop hot spots from growing and getting the most people comfortable with returning to “normal” activities. Thats probably the most frustrating part. Now we are facing more areas potentially pulling back instead of moving to the next phase. Some ups and downs are inevitable, but I feel like a lot of the talk in April about a focus on contact tracing and testing was really just lip service. It’s very frustrating to see.

Chip Chipperson

What's the deal with Star Wars Land now? Are they still doing boarding groups? Or is it fully open given the low-ish park capacity?

I didn't see anything on https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/hollywood-studios/star-wars-galaxys-edge/

I believe they are not using boarding groups for anything during the initial opening phase. Hopefully that won't cause people to bunch up like happened at 7DMT during the Cast Member previews that someone posted earlier in the thread.

Kevin_W

Some ups and downs are inevitable, but I feel like a lot of the talk in April about a focus on contact tracing and testing was really just lip service. It’s very frustrating to see.

Agreed that its frustrating. Contact tracing seems to be much more difficult in America, partly due to HIPPA and probably partly due to the stubbornness that makes wearing masks difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom