Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Perfect explanation however two things have changed. The treatment now has much better outcomes and the average age is lower both I believe will "lower" the death rate.

What won’t be measured is the collateral damage though, if ICUs are overwhelmed then they have no room for other patients too. Also, death should not be the only metric, younger people may be dying less but that doesn’t mean that those that do are any more tragic and that those people won’t have chronic medical conditions (PEs, strokes, heart attacks, chronic lung and kidney disease) because of this virus.

Treatments are better but still not good enough, the longer we flatten the curve the more time we give researchers to find a more effective treatment and/or vaccine.

Disorbust

A mean lower age will do nothing, though, if the absolute number of infections in the elderly remains high. If the death rate is lower, but the absolute number of deaths rises with the total number of cases, I don't necessarily see reason to celebrate or lower our guard.

I completely agree! But what is the infection rate in the elderly right now? I had thought that was going down and rate was increasing in the younger population.

I see nothing to celebrate for the next two years. I find it hearbreaking as a nation we can't even agree on masks and other mitigations. Everyone has their hopes on a vaccine but ignores the fact that the flu vaccine is at best 30% effective. With the amount of positives we are past the point of contact tracing and I really don't know where we go from here, it is completely depressing.

Heppenheimer

Do you have a link or more info on this? That's nearly triple the last day, and far and away the most the state has ever had. Is this like NJ, or did all these deaths that happened in the last 24 hours? That's potentially an eye popping number.
Given the time lag that it usually takes to process a death certificate, I'm guessing those numbers filtered in over a few days.

Disorbust

IMHO the total hospitalization rate is more important then ICU beds. In march if you needed more that 5 liters of oxgen you were vented and admitted into ICU. Now that has changed and more pts are admitted to the floor on high flow oxgen which creates a whole other debate.

oceanbreeze77

Do you have a link or more info on this? That's nearly triple the last day, and far and away the most the state has ever had. Is this like NJ, or did all these deaths that happened in the last 24 hours? That's potentially an eye popping number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom