Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

CDC says that approx 34K die from second hand smoke every year.

That is just the reported direct second hand smoke numbers. Not to mention those that do get cancer or the many other conditions that come from repeated use of smoke in the lungs. For those still with this habit I wish you well. It is in fact a bigger killer than Covid though. And the complications of COVID would be much less if not for the issues commonly seen with lung issues of smokers and people effected by second hand smoke based conditions. A lot would be solved with caring as much about Second Hand Smoke as the places are caring about this. Both are bad, so of course we should care about both, but only one is being focused on this extreme, because it is a different kind of news.

Patcheslee

Interesting that 100.4 is the number they are using. Humble opinion but if you're above 99.5 degrees at all, you should be home.
There will be variation based on method, calibration, accuracy, resting or active, head covered or not, perspiration, age, ect. .9 degrees is a high expectation with all of that thrown in.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There will be variation based on method, calibration, accuracy, resting or active, head covered or not, perspiration, age, ect. .9 degrees is a high expectation with all of that thrown in.
And a WDW college programmer would be tasked with all this nuance after the Mickey cop bag check?

What could go wrong? 😳

celluloid

If the news can be sensational and distract us from real issues just fan the flames hotter, hotter and even more hotter.

I agree, I would be much more impressed with this news if Citywalk and Disney Springs announced an enforced zero tolerence policy for Secondhand Tobacco products. That is more safety and not getting people to spend more time so they can spend more money logic.

HongKongFooy

The point of the mask isn't about your health, it is about protecting others' health.
So it isn't about you signing a waiver.

Perhaps rethink what you wrote, just a little?

The waiver has to do with the prospects of receiving the disease while in parks and resorts and thus "assuming risk" ........not giving the disease so much.

So under this arrangement all who enter would do so under the doctrine of assumption of risk.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Perhaps rethink what you wrote, just a little?

The waiver has to do with the prospects of receiving the disease while in parks and resorts and thus "assuming risk" ........not giving the disease so much.

So under this arrangement all who enter would do so under the doctrine of assumption of risk.
That was my point...

“I agree to give up my right to sue Disney for $1,000,000,000...and so do my kids...if I choose to enter the park to ride Rise of the Resistance”
...and so does everyone else.

Shared risk from a legal perspective.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yep we have a long file on file with Disney and they have been very good and helpful. My comment was intended to illustrate that people can have fluctuating Temps and my daughter does have medical conditions.
But Disney is not qualified to clear your Daughter of covid...nor would they ever want to be. This would open the door a crack on a variation of that.

Peter Pan's Shadow

The hard thing with that is many people run a 99 degree fever naturally. It is far more common than you think.

Also, it's conflicting and it may have changed but one time, it was going to be announced that Team Members with anything over a 99 degree temperature would be asked to go home for three days.

One thing is for sure about places that refuse work for three days for anyone running close to a fever, they will be short staffed more often because they never realized how much people work through minor illnesses without even realizing it.
ME! I run over 99 always. Like 99.2 or 99.3 when perfectly healthy.

DisneyDebRob

I think this got lost and buried in the 1,000th mask debate. There is SO much in this article. This is the real deal, an AP from Shanghai who has been in the park with the new restrictions. This answers a lot of questions including the fact that even with very limited capacity, shops and restaurants were still crowded.
Thank you for noticing that article also! It is loaded with what the real time problems will be. From what he experienced, the shops are a joke, packed and everyone touching everything. Restaurants are bad also. Only 3 feet between people for shows. Few things that seemed ok but the corners are being cut for sure to get open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you for noticing that article also! It is loaded with what the real time problems will be. From what he experienced, the shops are a joke, packed and everyone touching everything. Restaurants are bad also. Only 3 feet between people for shows. Few things that seemed ok but the corners are being cut for sure to get open.
Who ultimately runs the Shanghai park?

Not the case in Paris, Anaheim or Orlando.

That matters.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The recommendations changed when it was discovered that this particular virus is prone to widespread asymptomatic airborne spread. It's that simple.
Was the recommendation to not wear masks based on not knowing it could spread airborne through asymptomatic people? It appears it was well known that the virus was airborne before it even reached the USA. Why not recommend people wear masks as a preventative measure in the event they discovered it was spread through asymptomatic people? What harm could it do if people had started wearing masks right away?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would never assume Disney could do anything about Covid. It is a virus similar to other coronaviruses. She stays home and isolated for now. The risk of improperly disposed of face masks and use is our overall concern which Disney might have a difficult time enforcing the proper use of face masks and social distancing but they will do their best or at worst close the parks.
I hear you and have no doubt you know what you’re doing. It provided a good example of how slippery a slope we’re all on and that doesn’t even come close to what Disney would have to try to balance or at least muddle through...

Kevin_W

Was the recommendation to not wear masks based on not knowing it could spread airborne through asymptomatic people? It appears it was well known that the virus was airborne before it even reached the USA. Why not recommend people wear masks as a preventative measure in the event they discovered it was spread through asymptomatic people? What harm could it do if people had started wearing masks right away?

Well, some of the harm is that viruses commonly spread by getting on your hands and then you touch your face. I got a different brand of mask at work today and I know I was touching it every 5 minutes to get it to stay on, so toughing my face far more than I would otherwise. There is also the theory that they didn't want people to hoard masks when they were in short supply for medical professionals so they told the general public not to wear them.

Miss Bella

That is just the reported direct second hand smoke numbers. Not to mention those that do get cancer or the many other conditions that come from repeated use of smoke in the lungs. For those still with this habit I wish you well. It is in fact a bigger killer than Covid though. And the complications of COVID would be much less if not for the issues commonly seen with lung issues of smokers and people effected by second hand smoke based conditions. A lot would be solved with caring as much about Second Hand Smoke as the places are caring about this. Both are bad, so of course we should care about both, but only one is being focused on this extreme, because it is a different kind of news.
I was out running a couple of weeks ago. I came up behind two guys walking and smoking cigs. One guy started yelling at the other guy to put his mask on because a person was coming. I found it funny they were worried about getting covid from a healthy runner yet they are puffing away on cancer sticks, and yes I did have to run through their second hand smoke.

HongKongFooy

Universal owned stuff includes the night clubs, Toothsome, Vivo, Bread Box, Antojitos, Big Fire, NBC Sports. Hard Rock not opening up was Hard Rock's call. The only big exception is the main Universal Store.

Starbucks.......
I believe Universal owns the 'Starbucks' at City Walk......whereby it pays a royalty and/or licensing fee to operate(I don't know the official arrangement) and I assume it's the same type of arrangement that Disney has with Starbucks with its 4 setups 1 in each park.
Now the Starbucks in Disney Springs is the real McCoy Starbucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom