Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

I was out running a couple of weeks ago. I came up behind two guys walking and smoking cigs. One guy started yelling at the other guy to put his mask on because a person was coming. I found it funny they were worried about getting covid from a healthy runner yet they are puffing away on cancer sticks, and yes I did have to run through their second hand smoke.

It is a funny thing. Also, will the places that still allow smoking sections even be able to have them anymore? They are typically not very large areas so they do not effect the health of others. But you won't be able to allow people to smoke together anymore because that would be constant social gathering of strangers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Los Angeles County’s stay-at-home orders will “with all certainty” be extended for the next three months, Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer acknowledged during a Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday. Ferrer said that would only change if there was a “dramatic change to the virus and tools at hand.”

good luck with that.
Isn’t this just another case of an attention grabbing headline that doesn’t really fit what the article is saying? Here is a quote from the article:
“Our hope is that by using the data, we’d be able to slowly lift restrictions over the next three months,” she said. But without widely available therapeutic testing for the coronavirus or rapid at-home versions that would allow people to test themselves daily, it seems unlikely that restrictions would be completely eased.

How is that really any different than FL or any other state? Slowly lifting restrictions has always been the plan everywhere, right? Are people just getting hysterical because or the headline or is it because they are saying it will take into July and they really expect to be fully open in 4 weeks? The 4 weeks to jump through the phases is a fantasy. Slowly lifting restrictions is what’s going to happen most places.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
With Broadway pushing its reopening as far back as Labor Day, Chapek's call for masks at the parks (in the heat, EEP) and the "suggestion" that reopened resorts in July do not indicate reopened theme parks, I have decided to push back my own opening prediction game from July 1st to September 1st. I will officially run naked through my neighborhood singing "Me and Bobby McGee" should the theme parks open by September 1st.

For those who don't care, whatevs. This is purely for the horror of my neighbors and my own selfishness. Disney Springs is reopening -- yes. But the parks are a different story altogether. If you think otherwise, well, we're just not on the same page. And never have been.

lazyboy97o

That is why doing your own research and identifying the bias of the reporters and/or reporting agencies is very very important. Just look up the causes for the common cold and the fatalities that this common cold produces each year. Ask the question "does the coronavirus antibodies found in a subject definitely come from Covid19?" or the antibodies one develops from being exposed to the coronavirus that can cause the common cold? or if you are a dairy farmer or deal with livestock that get a coronavirus are they (the farmers) carrying antibodies for coronavirus.
That there are different types of viruses is an understood concept. Coronaviruses are a group, a sub-family, not a specific strain.

Was the recommendation to not wear masks based on not knowing it could spread airborne through asymptomatic people? It appears it was well known that the virus was airborne before it even reached the USA. Why not recommend people wear masks as a preventative measure in the event they discovered it was spread through asymptomatic people? What harm could it do if people had started wearing masks right away?
The very unusual circumstance of wide a- and pre-symptomatic spread was not then known. The harm would have been in stoking the already occurring run on masks and respirators.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Isn’t this just another case of an attention grabbing headline that doesn’t really fit what the article is saying? Here is a quote from the article:
“Our hope is that by using the data, we’d be able to slowly lift restrictions over the next three months,” she said. But without widely available therapeutic testing for the coronavirus or rapid at-home versions that would allow people to test themselves daily, it seems unlikely that restrictions would be completely eased.

How is that really any different than FL or any other state? Slowly lifting restrictions has always been the plan everywhere, right? Are people just getting hysterical because or the headline or is it because they are saying it will take into July and they really expect to be fully open in 4 weeks? The 4 weeks to jump through the phases is a fantasy. Slowly lifting restrictions is what’s going to happen most places.

It is quite different. who else is talking about leaving a stay at home order in place through July? Also, she is putting conditions on the order that were never intended. Allowing people to do daily testing at home is now a requirement or could be? They are going from flattening the curve to an indefinite lockdown. They could do phased openings without a lockdown order. If they can’t even manage that prior to July, then that is a huge failure. Huge. Monumental

Also, based on what is saw in LA over the past week, the order will most certainly be defied by a huge chunk of the population. I would eventually expect protests here that will make the ones in Michigan seem like Cub Scout meetings. I could be wrong though.

Calmdownnow

But you won't be able to allow people to smoke together anymore because that would be constant social gathering of strangers.
I can assure you that after the first two occasions you are at a smoking place with the same folks -- which does happen, particularly at the resorts as you get into a cycle of how long you can tolerate the place without a smoke -- you are no longer strangers. Smokers at Disney are really friendly and talkative, social types. Nice people to get to know, but it doesn't mean everyone sits in each other's laps. You can still social distance with a little organization of the space. Particularly as those who do use the limited number of smoking areas are, by definition, very well versed in obeying the rules

celluloid

I can assure you that after the first two occasions you are at a smoking place with the same folks -- which does happen, particularly at the resorts as you get into a cycle of how long you can tolerate the place without a smoke -- you are no longer strangers. Smokers at Disney are really friendly and talkative, social types. Nice people to get to know, but it doesn't mean everyone sits in each other's laps. You can still social distance with a little organization of the space. Particularly as those who do use the limited number of smoking areas are, by definition, very well versed in obeying the rules

Just because you cross over with the same folks at different smoking locations later in the day, does not mean you are social distancing. That is not what social distancing is. Smoking is a habit where you literally see how far some of those particles go.

I notice they don't even follow the reccomendation on the label on the pack itself from the Suregon General. Sadly a habit, I wish them well in quitting.

techgeek

Thank you for noticing that article also! It is loaded with what the real time problems will be. From what he experienced, the shops are a joke, packed and everyone touching everything. Restaurants are bad also. Only 3 feet between people for shows. Few things that seemed ok but the corners are being cut for sure to get open.

One thing that struck me from the article was the bit about Shanghai running a full-blown castle show, complete with tight dance choreography.

celluloid

One thing that struck me from the article was the bit about Shanghai running a full-blown castle show, complete with tight dance choreography.
Things like this that are expexted to just be ignored.

It fails in its ernest attempt of anything other than a chance sneeze or cough the moment you see everyone being checked in with Security Guards wearing the same gloves and tools to check the people before you, your belongings and then after you.

techgeek

The protests have been ultimately pointless...I heard a “national voice” frame what they represent brilliantly today in an Interview:

“There is way more energy reserved in the vitriol side of things and that’s why that minority disproportionately wins...the analytical side gets frustrated, tired, bored and ultimately gives up and moves on...”

That’s what should go in the history books as a recent synopsis of “our times”

This is illustrated perfectly in yesterday’s xkcd:

https://xkcd.com/2305/

We truly *are* actually united in our beliefs about this situation, despite what a very vocal minority and attention grabbing pictures and headlines might imply.

Polynesia

It is quite different. who else is talking about leaving a stay at home order in place through July? Also, she is putting conditions on the order that were never intended. Allowing people to do daily testing at home is now a requirement or could be? They are going from flattening the curve to an indefinite lockdown. They could do phased openings without a lockdown order. If they can’t even manage that prior to July, then that is a huge failure. Huge. Monumental

Also, based on what is saw in LA over the past week, the order will most certainly be defied by a huge chunk of the population. I would eventually expect protests here that will make the ones in Michigan seem like Cub Scout meetings. I could be wrong though.
Tesla has already reopened their plant against county/state orders. Of course, it’s reported they’re also suing the state of California and moving their headquarters to a friendlier state. So you’re right. I expect there will be large protests and reopenings against the state guidelines. Does not bode well for Disneyland.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

It’s not a true stay at home order if things are opening up slowly over time. It’s an attention grabbing headline and statement. How can you have a stay at home order and then open things during it? If things are open then there’s no longer a stay at home order. It makes no sense. I will use Florida as an example since it’s on topic, if everything that is currently happening with businesses slowly re-opening was held constant but the governor chose to still call it a stay at home order would it be a huge monumental failure?

Calmdownnow

Just because you cross over with the same folks at different smoking locations later in the day, does not mean you are social distancing. That is not what social distancing is
You will note that I said "with a little organizing". ie. expanding space to allow social distancing. Just as I wait in the grocery store until the person ahead in the aisle has made their selection and moved on, I would wait until space opened up in a smoking area before entering. As I said, smokers at Disney who use the smoking area are very good at obeying the rules. And as I also said, we are social creatures who engage with each other.

techgeek

Things like this that are expexted to just be ignored.

It fails in its ernest attempt of anything other than a chance sneeze or cough the moment you see everyone being checked in with Security Guards wearing the same gloves and tools to check the people before you, your belongings and then after you.

I think it might be somewhat that, but also the reality of a very different situation on the ground in Shanghai... where everyone that’s on property is subject to extreme contact tracing and the government’s ‘health QR code app’. This allows a lot more leeway in assuming a given population has been exposed or not.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s not a true stay at home order if things are opening up slowly over time. It’s an attention grabbing headline and statement. How can you have a stay at home order and then open things during it? If things are open then there’s no longer a stay at home order. It makes no sense. I will use Florida as an example since it’s on topic, if everything that is currently happening with businesses slowly re-opening was held constant but the governor chose to still call it a stay at home order would it be a huge monumental failure?

The county official is the one who said it would be extended. Maybe someone needs to ask her to clarify? What does she mean, exactly?

Calmdownnow

“There is way more energy reserved in the vitriol side of things and that’s why that minority disproportionately wins...the analytical side gets frustrated, tired, bored and ultimately gives up and moves on...”

Darwin would probably have a view on this, particularly if in a species crisis, the vitriolic minority had a reduced chance of survival.

raymusiccity

Perhaps this sparks us to think.... maybe buffets aren't a good idea? I never gave it much thought, but in hindsight having hundreds of people touching that serving spoon before me is kinda gross. Sure, they touched the same lap bar on 7DMT but I washed my hands between riding that and eating. I don't wash my hands after hitting the buffet line.
Well, now it's a good idea to wash or use a hand sanitizer between the buffet line and before guests start stuffing themselves. It's really comical to observe how high some guests pile up and balance food on their plates. Disney should post a sign reminding them that they're allowed to go back for another serving! :oops:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
As far as those buffets go... Aside from the family-style all you can eat stuff, it could just be as simple as Cast Members that serve you instead of the bars being self serve.

Might keep people eating more of a balanced meal.

MickeyLuv'r

This one is tricky because it's too dangerous to let it run uncontrolled, but not dangerous enough to get everyone in any sort of agreement of what to do.

As the old saying goes, a common enemy unites. Stopping a disease should be exactly the kind of problem that unites us around a common purpose.

That we aren't uniting on this one, says something sad about our society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom