Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy97o

Maybe, just maybe, they’ll integrate the MDE into Apple WatchOS and whatever the Android equivalent is. Then those of use with smart watches wouldn’t even need the magic band.
That is already possible with Android but would require Apple to open up acces to their NFC chip, a move that could undermine their defense against antitrust claims in other countries, notably Australia are where local banks have been pushing to have their own mobile wallets offered on iOS.

Okie Mike

This is a big part of the reason a lot of people don’t want this thing rushed. The economic damage will be way more severe if there’s a re-opening followed by another shut down not much later. Hopefully things are done right and we won’t have to go back a step, but some people are being unrealistic in assuming that we will just move through phases in 2 weeks at a time. It’s more likely to be more volatile than that. It’s very likely hot spots will pop up. Hopefully nothing like what we saw in NYC but if it happens on a smaller scale anywhere there could be a more localized return to stay at home. This is also why things like contact tracing and widespread testing need to be setup and ready to go before starting phase 1. If you can contain a hotspot and deal with it quickly it won’t grow to the whole state going back a phase. That’s the hope anyway.
I don’t agree. The government has gone all in on 8 week Period. Many people on these types of forums don’t realize the pressure of business leaders, national chamber of commerce, and local economies put on political leaders. Another shutdown simply won‘t happen. The damage is happening in real time economically while the virus mortality rate is 3.4%. I don’t wish sickness or death on anyone, but 2.8 Million people die In the US annually for various reasons and we don’t take a flamethrower to the economy to protect them.

SierraT

I don’t agree. The government has gone all in on 8 week Period. Many people on these types of forums don’t realize the pressure of business leaders, national chamber of commerce, and local economies put on political leaders. Another shutdown simply won‘t happen. The damage is happening in real time economically while the virus mortality rate is 3.4%. I don’t wish sickness or death on anyone, but 2.8 Million people die In the US annually for various reasons and we don’t take a flamethrower to the economy to protect them.
So true. I don’t think those of us who are hoping the parks open sooner than later are doing so because we need a Disney fix. We need the economy to bounce back and not see people starving to death. As it is, we are looking at a really tough rough ahead to rebuild.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
500 pages ago the mom asked us to stop the same “this is just the flu” debate so I can’t really comment on that.

The only question I will ask is did you think we’d all be on stay at home orders for months back in he beginning of March? Back then most of us would have said that simply won‘t happen. I’m certainly not saying I want to go back to stay at home orders later or that I think that it will definitely happen but if we blow the re-opening process it very well could happen. Nothing related to this virus is certain at this point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So true. I don’t think those of us who are hoping the parks open sooner than later are doing so because we need a Disney fix. We need the economy to bounce back and not see people starving to death. As it is, we are looking at a really tough rough ahead to rebuild.
I don’t disagree with that but the people who are urging caution in re-opening are also worried about the economy bouncing back. The economy isn’t going to recover if there’s a 2nd wave of virus right way. Even if there were no additional stay at home orders people aren’t going to be at the mall or at bars and restaurants or on planes and in hotels if things turn worse. Some may still go out anyway, but some doesn’t make the economy go. Taking our time and emerging with a solid plan is the best way to get the economy going long term.

Okie Mike

500 pages ago the mom asked us to stop the same “this is just the flu” debate so I can’t really comment on that.

The only question I will ask is did you think we’d all be on stay at home orders for months back in he beginning of March? Back then most of us would have said that simply won‘t happen. I’m certainly not saying I want to go back to stay at home orders later or that I think that it will definitely happen but if we blow the re-opening process it very well could happen. Nothing related to this virus is certain at this point.
No, I didnt predict a stay at home order, but I think it was the right move given the unknown. I do think we know more now. I think people need to be open and intellectually honest about why they do, or do not, want to reopen the business sector soon. I personally believe we should open up over the next 30 days to minimize the already enormous impact to business owners and their employees families. Government cannot fill this void for long. And.. people have the individual freedom to stay in their homes as long as they desire. Best wishes to everyone!

Patcheslee

Cruising through Twitter and happen to come across Pirate saying on-line check-in for resort stays are reportedly required now. Does anyone have an upcoming stay that can confirm any of this?

TrainsOfDisney

Cruising through Twitter and happen to come across Pirate saying on-line check-in for resort stays are reportedly required now. Does anyone have an upcoming stay that can confirm any of this?

I hadn’t thought about that one but it fits in with the rest of the rumors / reports.

Disney is going to be able to drastically reduce employees if they require online check in, mobile ordering, no cash, etc.

Rimmit

I don’t agree. The government has gone all in on 8 week Period. Many people on these types of forums don’t realize the pressure of business leaders, national chamber of commerce, and local economies put on political leaders. Another shutdown simply won‘t happen.
Welcome to to the thread. Much of the debate is dead as it has been rehashed innumerable times over the last 1000 pages and it is now off limits per the Mom. There was quite a bit of suspense at the beginning of the thread, especially leading up to the shutdown. If you are reading it retrospectively it would be a pretty entertaining read.

I first started posting and following this thread back on page 19. If I had a dollar every time someone said “xxx won’t happen,” “xxx would never do that,” “there is no way (Insert Disney, government, country, or state) will ever do that” I’d be eating quite a few meals at Victoria’s and Alberts.

NOTHING is off the table at this point. NOTHING.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

DCBaker

Premium Member
"In a decision that was largely expected but nonetheless will be a major blow to thousands of shuttered Hawaii businesses struggling to stay afloat, the governor has extended the statewide stay-at-home order along with the mandatory quarantine for travelers through May 31."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"In a decision that was largely expected but nonetheless will be a major blow to thousands of shuttered Hawaii businesses struggling to stay afloat, the governor has extended the statewide stay-at-home order along with the mandatory quarantine for travelers through May 31."

That one is a tough call. Hawaii has been one of the least impacted states so should be in good shape to start opening things up but so much of the economy revolves around tourism so I can see the hesitation with bringing in planes full of tourists from the mainland. There’s a good chance the Japanese tourists won’t be back for some time. The Big Island already took a major hit recently with the volcano erupting and slowing down tourism. I don’t envy the governor having to make that call.

TrainsOfDisney

That one is a tough call. Hawaii has been one of the least impacted states so should be in good shape to start opening things up but so much of the economy revolves around tourism so I can see the hesitation with bringing in planes full of tourists from the mainland. There’s a good chance the Japanese tourists won’t be back for some time. The Big Island already took a major hit recently with the volcano erupting and slowing down tourism. I don’t envy the governor having to make that call.

Yeah... it’s such a catch 22. If there are a very low number of cases, locals should be able to go back out and live life again. But if you open everything up... tourists will come and potentially make things a lot worse.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah... it’s such a catch 22. If there are a very low number of cases, locals should be able to go back out and live life again. But if you open everything up... tourists will come and potentially make things a lot worse.
They could just limit flights in or setup mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving and open stuff for the locals (that part is actually easier than any other state except maybe Alaska) but the big problem is so much of the economy in Hawaii revolves around tourism that if you don’t have tourists many of the businesses can’t open and then a lot of people won’t have the money to do much. I guess they can spend their government checks but $1,200 doesn’t get you very far in Hawaii.

monykalyn

I agree with your thoughts...although I think if a shutdown as severe as this one occurs-even locally- then local government had better have a well thought out and ready to execute plan in place to help people and business out. I also think a second severe shutdown may be met with high resistance, and if Disney had to shut down again and kick it’s guests out...well they’ve probably lost those people and and the ten they are gonna tell too from ever goin back. It won’t be rationale thinking for sure, not to mention the independent contracts in Springs etc. So I’m Hoping all goes well and the inevitable spike is low and easy to control and we have a reliable treatment.

Animaniac93-98

No point in reopening something like the Sheraton Waikiki if it's just going to sit empty anyway.

Kevin_W

They could just limit flights in or setup mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving and open stuff for the locals (that part is actually easier than any other state except maybe Alaska) but the big problem is so much of the economy in Hawaii revolves around tourism that if you don’t have tourists many of the businesses can’t open and then a lot of people won’t have the money to do much. I guess they can spend their government checks but $1,200 doesn’t get you very far in Hawaii.

Right - I've read that 70% of the Hawaii economy is tourism related. This has to hurt. I have friends who had a trip to Maui booked for 5/23 - it's cancelled and they are hoping for a 2021 trip instead. We are actually scheduled for a trip to Kauai in August - I still have some hopes for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom