Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyLuv'r

It’s more along the lines of... why? What issue does it solve?

I guess I see the situation as something that is beyond my control, so I don't see the point of getting unhappy about a hypothetical policy.
I might not like WDW's policies when they reopen, but it feels like wasted energy to get upset over them- especially at this point. Each of us will have to decide if they work for us when WDW reopens.

I dunno, but right now, my priorities are a little different. Every day, I'm grateful for my health, the health of my family. I'm grateful that we have things like food, a place to live., and even soap.

I also have a feeling, that WDW will adjust their policies over time, so if I don't like the opening day options, I'll just wait.

Flugell

Just wondering........ will Disney produce new face mask Minnie and Mickey dolls and pin badges? Could make the masks more appealing to all and would bring a whole new meaning to the phrase “Hidden Mickey!”

TrainsOfDisney

I guess I see the situation as something that is beyond my control, so I don't see the point of getting unhappy about a hypothetical policy.
I might not like WDW's policies when they reopen, but it feels like wasted energy to get upset over them- especially at this point. Each of us will have to decide if they work for us when WDW reopens.

I dunno, but right now, my priorities are a little different. Every day, I'm grateful for my health, the health of my family. I'm grateful that we have things like food, a place to live., and even soap.

I also have a feeling, that WDW will adjust their policies over time, so if I don't like the opening day options, I'll just wait.

I’m not upset about a rumored possibility. I don’t like using magic bands, I like having everything in my wallet cause I’m a creature of habit. Naturally I can and have used the bands in the past and even have some collector ones that I like.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainsOfDisney

It seems like a convenient excuse to introduce rules that would otherwise be challenged. Disney is reducing capacity but now gets to guarantee they acquire more data on you.

Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking. They wanted to go cashless several years ago and the “test” they ran at animal kingdom lodge lasted like what? A month?

We are going cashless... for safety.
You must use a magic band... for safety.
You must have a smartphone.... for safety.

zengoth

Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking. They wanted to go cashless several years ago and the “test” they ran at animal kingdom lodge lasted like what? A month?

We are going cashless... for safety.
You must use a magic band... for safety.
You must have a smartphone.... for safety.
I can see #1 and #3 happening for most businesses in the future, not just Disney.

_caleb

It seems like a convenient excuse to introduce rules that would otherwise be challenged. Disney is reducing capacity but now gets to guarantee they acquire more data on you.
Yes, I believe this is it. It seems like a good excuse/reason to require Magicbands which allows Disney to track guests and get more guest data.

Also to go touchless, which would be in the interest of public health.

They may also be working on a contact tracing solution that could use magic bands as one data source (or at least to be able to say they are working on such a solution.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 6.23.15 PM.png

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.

lazyboy97o

They can go contactless without the MagicBands. Although Disney‘s payment process could use some serious work. Walt Disney World is the one place I would rather dip than tap, and 9 times out of ten the Cast Member just asks for the card because it is easier and faster for them to swipe it than have me use the pad.

ImperfectPixie

They can go contactless without the MagicBands. Although Disney‘s payment process could use some serious work. Walt Disney World is the one place I would rather dip than tap, and 9 times out of ten the Cast Member just asks for the card because it is easier and faster for them to swipe it than have me use the pad.
They need better security in place as well, I've heard tons of stories about financial information being compromised during Disney trips.

_caleb

I thought contactless payments were a bit of a challenge due to guests who don’t yet have credit/debit cards/phones with RFID (lots from overseas and many in the US). Maybe I was mistaken.

Not sure how they get around the PIN input, though.

Lilofan

I thought contactless payments were a bit of a challenge due to guests who don’t yet have credit/debit cards/phones with RFID (lots from overseas and many in the US). Maybe I was mistaken.

Contactless payments during covid times could perhaps spell the dreaded "B" word.. Bitcoin transactions.

TrainsOfDisney

Do Disney operated Disney World locations accept Apple Pay / RFD chips yet?

lazyboy97o

Overseas is way ahead with contactless payment. If they’re requiring MB’s then the app is a close second, and by this point if you cannot get an NFC enabled card that phone you need likely has a mobile wallet solution. Tap-to-pat with cards and phones does not require a PIN, and I believe the MagicBands originally did not have a PIN (or a limit or something I don’t remember).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, I believe this is it. It seems like a good excuse/reason to require Magicbands which allows Disney to track guests and get more guest data.

They may also be working on a contact tracing solution that could use magic bands as one data source (or at least to be able to say they are working on such a solution.
Could be interesting if they got it working for contact tracing. I don’t think they will do that but in theory it would greatly reduce the problem of someone getting infected at WDW then going home and spreading it further and also limit the impact from a CM getting infected being asymptomatic and then spreading it to other CMs or guests. If it worked similar to the phone apps it could all be anonymous and you would only receive a notification if you crossed paths with someone at WDW who was infected. I guess they would need CMs to wear bands too. Pretty unique circumstances with WDW having the tech to actually do this.

The reason I don’t think they will actually do this is they don’t want to have to contact people and tell them they could have been infected at WDW. Not very magical and also opens the door to liability, especially if it’s a CM that’s positive. Another reason is it highlights the tracking power of the system and they don‘t want to remind people they are tracking you. The final reason is they don’t have bands anywhere else, especially DLR. I expect their response to be somewhat uniform across parks. Again, limits liability.

Flugell

During vacation travels, we bring our favorite personal pillows and sometimes blankets. It would be interesting if WDW resorts would allow guests to bring our personal sleeping items during covid times.
Only if airlines increase luggage allowance. Many visitors fly in, using Aladdin’s Magic Carpet, or maybe an aeroplane if any companies are still viable after the current crisis!

durangojim

Maybe, just maybe, they’ll integrate the MDE into Apple WatchOS and whatever the Android equivalent is. Then those of use with smart watches wouldn’t even need the magic band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom