Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

Can someone explain what the purpose of requiring magic bands would be? No one in my family uses them. Personally, I don’t like wearing tight things on my wrist that make it feel sweaty all day. We have just always used our hard tickets. I can understand the logic of requiring an MDE account for everyone If they insist on people filling out health or travel questionnaires. But I don’t understand how a magic band is better than a hard ticket, unless I’m just missing something
Agree also. Haven’t wore one yet since they started it. Don’t like watches or anything on my wrists. I keep mine in my pocket and so miss a hard card when walking the parks.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Can someone explain what the purpose of requiring magic bands would be? No one in my family uses them. Personally, I don’t like wearing tight things on my wrist that make it feel sweaty all day. We have just always used our hard tickets. I can understand the logic of requiring an MDE account for everyone If they insist on people filling out health or travel questionnaires. But I don’t understand how a magic band is better than a hard ticket, unless I’m just missing something

Loosen the band, it doesn't need to be tight.
Doesn't even really need to be on your wrist for that matter.

DCBaker

Premium Member
DeSantis had another presser -

"We’re not doing in-person sports yet no matter what,” DeSantis said. “That’s just not going to happen in May. ... Another thing in Phase One, they say movie theaters with social distance. I’m not there yet on the movie theaters. ... It’s an enclosed environment. You’re much better off being outdoors."

"Wael Barsoum, CEO of Cleveland Clinic Florida, said people have been avoiding hospitals and likely deferring needed care, which could cause their medical conditions to worsen. Barsoum, an orthopedic surgeon, also cautioned that there is still a lot left to learn about how to recover from a pandemic."

“It’s never happened in any of our lifetimes that we have reversed a viral quarantine,” Barsoum said. “So what we’re going to be seeing here over the next several weeks and months will be educational to each of us. ... Please recognize that we will learn everyday, and we may have to step back from some of those decisions as a society.”

More at the article linked below -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Out of all the possible changes that may be required to get WDW open requiring a magic band seems to be mildly disruptive at most. There’s a lot of other stuff that has been mentioned that makes me think...ugh is it going to be worth going if I have to do that :(

To each their own. Everyone has their personal preferences and dislikes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
DeSantis had another presser -

"We’re not doing in-person sports yet no matter what,” DeSantis said. “That’s just not going to happen in May. ... Another thing in Phase One, they say movie theaters with social distance. I’m not there yet on the movie theaters. ... It’s an enclosed environment. You’re much better off being outdoors."

More at the article linked below -

Interesting. Seems like he’s targeting beach and outdoor activities. Since a large portion of theme park rides are indoor or have indoor components I assume that means no WDW in phase 1. I think we all knew that already but that probably confirms it as certain.

zengoth

Out of all the possible changes that may be required to get WDW open requiring a magic band seems to be mildly disruptive at most. There’s a lot of other stuff that has been mentioned that makes me think...ugh is it going to be worth going if I have to do that :(

I would make choices before every WDW visit - is it worth driving I-4 from Tampa (it can be backed up for most of the trip); is it worth dealing with the intense crowds (i can only visit on weekends); is it worth doing this in extreme heat/humidity.

Likewise, I'll make the choices based on what WDW's new rules will be. If I don't like them, I have the choice not to go.

The interesting thing to me is if the majority of guests will have the same reaction to these new rules. Will Disney amend and/or back down based on guest reactions or will they stand fast? (or will they be forced to by law?)

One thing I won't miss that I'm sure is now a relic is those surveys they used to have at EPCOT where they had us sit at computers screens to voice our opinions. Never liked them because I never saw them wiped between guests. </rant>

Polynesia

Interesting. Seems like he’s targeting beach and outdoor activities. Since a large portion of theme park rides are indoor or have indoor components I assume that means no WDW in phase 1. I think we all knew that already but that probably confirms it as certain.
I’m thankful he’s being cautious. As much as I love Disney I want everyone to be safe. I listened to him today and his stance hasn’t changed. He’s not set on a firm date but rather the medical facts. Seeing him at the Cleveland Clinic reinforced that he’s listening to the medical community. Disney will reopen at the right time. I don’t think it’s going to be next year. Businesses are starting to reopen around the country and we’ll all be paying attention how that goes.

monykalyn

we may have to step back from some of those decisions as a society.”
Keep hearing the phases aren’t “linear”— but how do you tell a business owner who ramps up to open, is finally getting customer flow and barely starting to breathe again getting back on track “oops! So sorry y’all are gonna have to close and we don’t know for how long !” Does anyone actually think that’s going to be practical? We keep doing that to ANY business and you will have some angry and unhappy people...and not just the owners.

TrainsOfDisney

It’s more along the lines of... why? What issue does it solve?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Keep hearing the phases aren’t “linear”— but how do you tell a business owner who ramps up to open, is finally getting customer flow and barely starting to breathe again getting back on track “oops! So sorry y’all are gonna have to close and we don’t know for how long !” Does anyone actually think that’s going to be practical? We keep doing that to ANY business and you will have some angry and unhappy people...and not just the owners.
This is a big part of the reason a lot of people don’t want this thing rushed. The economic damage will be way more severe if there’s a re-opening followed by another shut down not much later. Hopefully things are done right and we won’t have to go back a step, but some people are being unrealistic in assuming that we will just move through phases in 2 weeks at a time. It’s more likely to be more volatile than that. It’s very likely hot spots will pop up. Hopefully nothing like what we saw in NYC but if it happens on a smaller scale anywhere there could be a more localized return to stay at home. This is also why things like contact tracing and widespread testing need to be setup and ready to go before starting phase 1. If you can contain a hotspot and deal with it quickly it won’t grow to the whole state going back a phase. That’s the hope anyway.

Patcheslee

Restaurants that have closed have taken a major hit. I know of at least 2 mom&pop restaurants in town that didn't have the curbside picked traffic they needed to stay open. All their food was given to the local food bank because it would have spoiled. When they reopen they'll have to spend a good amount of money to stock again.
If they have to close a 2nd time it'll be a worse hit than the first.

TrainsOfDisney

I get what you are saying. I’m just saying if that’s all I had to do I’d be pretty happy. I’ll even wear one on each arm...a pink and a purple :)

Oh yeah for sure. I actually have some magic bands from D23 that I would like to show off but I don’t like them so I never wear them, ha.

zengoth

It's entirely possible the new normal will indeed be times of open business, times of closed business. Think of jobs that are seasonal - people hired for a chunk of time only. I lived in a coastal New England town that thrived in the summer - and people I knew worked made as much money as they could during tourist season in order to carry them through the winter.

Not saying every business model will be set up this way, but in an age of uncertainty, being able to be more fluid will separate the wheat from the chaff (or whatever the old saying goes).

Did I mention that everyone I knew in that coastal New England town had a full liquor bar in their houses to get them through the winter? Just sayin. ;)

Polynesia

It’s more along the lines of... why? What issue does it solve?
It might not solve any issues for Disney. I like wearing one out of convenience. It’s always on my wrist and I don’t have to dig for my card. When my grandkids are here it’s easy for them to just touch their magic band on the sensors when using Fastpass. Many times we’d be in line with a family ahead of us going through their stack of cards and handing them out so they can get through. Granted it’s only a minute or two extra but the magic band saves a bit of time. I don’t really know why Disney would require them.

jensenrick

Not to mention, I thought this was already required. How do people get in, if they don't have a MB?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It might not solve any issues for Disney. I like wearing one out of convenience. It’s always on my wrist and I don’t have to dig for my card. When my grandkids are here it’s easy for them to just touch their magic band on the sensors when using Fastpass. Many times we’d be in line with a family ahead of us going through their stack of cards and handing them out so they can get through. Granted it’s only a minute or two extra but the magic band saves a bit of time. I don’t really know why Disney would require them.
If they got rid of the pin they could allow for touch-free shopping too. No need to hand over cash or credit cards to a CM. I’m not sure what the thoughts would be on security though. If someone dropped a band they could go to town on your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom