Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's impossible to run WDW with social distancing. You can't get tens of thousands of people into a park and maintain six feet between everyone. A queue with a hundred people becomes six hundred feet. You can't wipe down omnimovers, so, they'd all be closed. Wiping down everything else between rides would make those attractions run at 10% capacity. You would only be able to fill theaters to 20% capacity. And you can't wipe down constantly every railing in every queue or every counter after every customer at QS. WDW's transportation would be hobbled.

There's no going back to WDW while social distancing is still in place.
I agree there’s no way to do full social distancing at WDW. I also think when it does re-open there will be some level of modified experience. Disney has to at least appear to be trying to avoid a relapse of the virus. It might be as simple as adding more virtual queues for certain rides, keeping the hand sanitizer stations everywhere around the resort and limiting large crowds tightly packed in for large shows, fireworks/parades and bus/boat transport. Limiting buses/boats to less people, not eliminating them completely. Restaurants may be forced to lower capacity too with tables spread out. Depending on the circumstances and general attitudes of the public at the time they may need to do even more or possibly less.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
im wondering, if they still run all the rides every day. If not especially the older rides id be afraid of even more issues than we were seeing before due to just sitting there, I know security and some staff is on site. Curious if they run everything just to keep it lubed and moving.
Many pages back a poster who has a relative who works as a CM said the ride maintenance staff are not considered essential so they are furloughed with everyone else. The only thing left is security and a Skelton crew keeping the areas safe. I would assume some basic landscaping workers and someone checking on the plumbing and electricity to make sure no fires or floods.

DisneyCane

Florida - in particular - doesn’t have the faintest clue how many cases they have or frankly will have.

Looking at the charts are loaded or “unloaded” propositions in this context.

You are wrong about Florida. The testing backlog is 1,247 (see picture below) and that has been relatively consistent for weeks. The positive percentage has also remained stable (recently) at 10.6% so it's pretty easy to figure out roughly how many positive results will come out of that backlog.

Also, anybody with symptoms is categorized as a "person under investigation" and treated as if they are positive until they test negative.

On the upslope of the curve the number of cases was increasing faster than the number of tests was increasing so the chart isn't just a function of more testing. Before you make a snarky comment about the percentage, when tests first started ramping up the positive rate was nine point something so the percentage increased during the upslope.
Screenshot_20200406-122152~2.png

Seanual757

I fully believe when they do open it will be the resorts 1st and open the parks to resort guests only. hen would then open to pass holders seeing that resort guests will be limited because of people being able to travel they can work out many of the social distancing issues. Disney already had plenty of wash stations as well as hand sanitizer ate the resorts.

Face Masks may be required as well.

Only time will tell

JohnD

Many pages back a poster who has a relative who works as a CM said the ride maintenance staff are not considered essential so they are furloughed with everyone else. The only thing left is security and a Skelton crew keeping the areas safe. I would assume some basic landscaping workers and someone checking on the plumbing and electricity to make sure no fires or floods.

And animal care CMs in AK, AKL, and Living Seas, presumably.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I agree there’s no way to do full social distancing at WDW. I also think when it does re-open there will be some level of modified experience. Disney has to at least appear to be trying to avoid a relapse of the virus. It might be as simple as adding more virtual queues for certain rides, keeping the hand sanitizer stations everywhere around the resort and limiting large crowds tightly packed in for large shows, fireworks/parades and bus/boat transport. Limiting buses/boats to less people, not eliminating them completely. Restaurants may be forced to lower capacity too with tables spread out. Depending on the circumstances and general attitudes of the public at the time they may need to do even more or possibly less.

I agree. I also think guests will be "encouraged" to wipe down their ride vehicles and take other precautions. The dynamic I think will be unique is how guests will deal with other guests that show any sign of illness. Be it a simple sneeze or cough.

DisneyCane

I agree. I also think guests will be "encouraged" to wipe down their ride vehicles and take other precautions. The dynamic I think will be unique is how guests will deal with other guests that show any sign of illness. Be it a simple sneeze or cough.
Too bad they removed the corrosion test from Test Track. They could have replaced the water with disinfectant spray!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Way too speculative with way too many variable to know for sure.

WDW itself gets surprised with lulls and surges of guests that they didn't count on without all those unknowns.

MickeyLuv'r

Since we are trying to be optimistic, here are a few of my "silver linings" of this pandemic:

1) Social Distancing has given me an excuse to not have to visit, more challenging members of my family
2) I've realized the true value of lotion, as my hands are constantly raw now
3) Overall improved cleanliness from nearly everyone
4) I've learned to adapt to technology quicker
5. We'll value the work of teachers, nurses, waste disposal workers, restaurant staff, and other professions more than we previously did.
6. We'll treat people employed in these professions with more respect than we did pre-outbreak.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

It's the 2020 version of the Nintendo Uncle from the 1980s and 1990s.

Lilofan

5. We'll value the work of teachers, nurses, waste disposal workers, restaurant staff, and other professions more than we previously did.
6. We'll treat people employed in these professions with more respect than we did pre-outbreak.
This has been talked about in my 30 years plus of working. In an office setting, does one even make eye contact or acknowledge an office cleaner doing their job to keep your areas and bathrooms clean as much as they do a boss, VP, CEO or peer that comes their way. Everyone is a person and everyone deserves to be acknowledged and recognized. Somebody told me with ignorance maybe the office cleaner doesn't speak English. I told them they understand a 😊 , a Hi, and a Thank You.😉

rowrbazzle

I screenshotted the before and after change of that particular model. It's a pretty dramatic and favorable shift, with a much earlier peak and 40% fewer hospital beds needed.
View attachment 461380

View attachment 461381

I flipped quickly through the different states. The model now shows sufficient resources for both regular and ICU beds in 32 states (including DC). The last time I checked - maybe a week ago - it was 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom