Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

Cancelling the June- January college program might be a good thing for the regular cast members. Not every attraction and area will be open. With no college program participants this will leave openings in many areas. Those with a closed area can transition to open areas. I know it will invoke training but at least it might keep dedicated cast members working. I do feel sorry for the college program participants but these are different times right now.

Lilofan

Cancelling the June- January college program might be a good thing for the regular cast members. Not every attraction and area will be open. With no college program participants this will leave openings in many areas. Those with a closed area can transition to open areas. I know it will invoke training but at least it might keep dedicated cast members working. I do feel sorry for the college program participants but these are different times right now.
And the cast members of all levels that directly and indirectly support the college program, their jobs are impacted too.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No

My opinion is that this shows where the company expects to be in June/potentially further. While I agree may CM that are currently laid off will be happy to have as many hours as possible when they are allowed to return, Disney as an employer (that is currently hemorrhaging cash) will want to fill any positions needed with the lease expensive means necessary ie CP. It signals to me that Disney does not believe that those positions will be needed in the coming weeks. Either because there will be no demand or the parks will be remaining closed.

Lilofan

My opinion is that this shows where the company expects to be in June/potentially further. While I agree may CM that are currently laid off will be happy to have as many hours as possible when they are allowed to return, Disney as an employer (that is currently hemorrhaging cash) will want to fill any positions needed with the lease expensive means necessary ie CP. It signals to me that Disney does not believe that those positions will be needed in the coming weeks. Either because there will be no demand or the parks will be remaining closed.
Correct. CP/ICP cast members are inexpensive labor compared to full time cast earning more and CP cast work shifts that regular cast generally don't want to work. Reading the tea leaves, it may sound as a longer than expected closure of the parks and resorts but I hope I'm wrong.

Polynesia

Not having the CP’s is a smart move. As you say we don’t know when it will open or what the crowds will be like. Having thousands of CP’s descend on them would not be beneficial. They don’t know what will be operational and what won’t. This is going to be see what works as you go along. I do think Disney will reopen June sometime. I also think the crowds will surprise many.

Disney Analyst

Im so excited! This is called using your platform!

We need some levity, and behind the scenes Gaga has been working hard, raised over 35 million dollars, and is organizing this concert not as a fundraiser, they will not accept money during it.

This is going to be a moment to lift spirits and highlight the kindness being spread globally.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

I'll just have to see then. It's either that week or the fall for me. Being a silver passholder, I'm blocked out the following week to August.
I would also shoot for fall to be safe. Even if it opens the end of May or June.. which in my opinion is still pushing it, don’t think there will be a whole lot to do. All guesses of course here . We are going thanksgiving and Just yesterday my wife asked if we should move it to next year. I said it will be fine by then but the more I sat here, just started thinking if it might not be a bad idea.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It would be one of the attractions that would be easy to practice social distancing. Skip the preview and go straight to the doom buggies keeping your distance. Doom buggies never put strangers together either. Disney will have to find a way to keep social distancing in their ques. Will be interesting to see what they come up with.

It's impossible to run WDW with social distancing. You can't get tens of thousands of people into a park and maintain six feet between everyone. A queue with a hundred people becomes six hundred feet. You can't wipe down omnimovers, so, they'd all be closed. Wiping down everything else between rides would make those attractions run at 10% capacity. You would only be able to fill theaters to 20% capacity. And you can't wipe down constantly every railing in every queue or every counter after every customer at QS. WDW's transportation would be hobbled.

There's no going back to WDW while social distancing is still in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom