Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Latest COVID-19 models move the peak impacts in Florida to mid-April as Disney continues to look towards reopening
That model aligns with the latest UK modelling of a peak in one to two weeks. Hopefully you’re catching us up (as in and “end” may be sooner than later. If we all follow the rules still.
No I dont think so. There was similar talk about Tower of Terror following 9-11.
Timekeeper still had the WTC clip running after 9/11.

Correct. CP/ICP cast members are inexpensive labor compared to full time cast earning more and CP cast work shifts that regular cast generally don't want to work. Reading the tea leaves, it may sound as a longer than expected closure of the parks and resorts but I hope I'm wrong.
Two things - it helps reduces long distance travel. You don’t want CPs bringing another case of the virus to Orlando. And there would be a political stink if regular CMs we’re still furloughed whilst CP were working.
Many pages back a poster who has a relative who works as a CM said the ride maintenance staff are not considered essential so they are furloughed with everyone else. The only thing left is security and a Skelton crew keeping the areas safe. I would assume some basic landscaping workers and someone checking on the plumbing and electricity to make sure no fires or floods.
In theory anything mechanical would be cycled as per its minimum maintenance schedule, be it animatronic or mechanical.

Disney Analyst

That model aligns with the latest UK modelling of a peak in one to two weeks. Hopefully you’re catching us up (as in and “end” may be sooner than later. If we all follow the rules still.

Timekeeper still had the WTC clip running after 9/11.

Two things - it helps reduces long distance travel. You don’t want CPs bringing another case of the virus to Orlando. And there would be a political stink if regular CMs we’re still furloughed whilst CP were working.

In theory anything mechanical would be cycled as per its minimum maintenance schedule, be it animatronic or mechanical.

I would also think CP’s aside, people like me who did the ICP, or CRP... I doubt the US will be issuing those kind of visas for a while once this is all said and done. The focus will solely be on giving American’s jobs, getting them back in the work force.

I wonder how long until those programs come back? I imagine it could be a long time...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I trust Len's predictions. He puts in the time and effort to calculate.

There's too many unknowns of outside forces that Len can't model based on they way things used to be modeled.

For example, when will WDW be open? No one knows that. Will there be another Great Recession? Will airlines be able to ramp up to previous capacity? Will WDW be forced to limit capacity either because they don't have the resources right away, or because of continued governmental directives?

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

The bold is so very true. If you figure there will be less people working, you can't have CPs come and take those hours and additional hours that help them support themselves while being away from home. From a PR standpoint, it would not look good and I'm sure anger union employees if they are facing longer furloughs.

Lilofan

I would also think CP’s aside, people like me who did the ICP, or CRP... I doubt the US will be issuing those kind of visas for a while once this is all said and done. The focus will solely be on giving American’s jobs, getting them back in the work force.

I wonder how long until those programs come back? I imagine it could be a long time...
Thinking out of the box, maybe cast members that may lose their homes or evicted out of their apartments can be housed in the vacant college program housing. College Program cast were getting charged rent and cast members can be charged accordingly.

Disney Analyst

New rules just came out in Canada:

VANCOUVER -- Canada's transportation ministry has announced new rules for ferries and other commercial passenger ships operating in Canadian waters, which are aimed at limiting the spread of COVID-19.

Beginning Monday, all commercial marine vessels with a capacity greater than 12 passengers will be prohibited from operating for non-essential reasons, such as tourism or recreation. These restrictions will remain in place until at least June 30, Transport Canada said in a news release Sunday.

Likewise, all cruise ships will be prohibited from travelling through or stopping in Canadian Arctic waters until Oct. 31.

So... Cruise season is basically cancelled in Canada for 2020.

John park hopper

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

Probably. But not necessarily.

Should any foreign passenger vessel seek to enter Arctic waters, they would need to give the Minister of Transport 60 days’ notice and be subject to any conditions the Minister determines necessary to ensure the protection of marine personnel and local communities. These measures will remain in place until October 31, 2020.

Sounds like they could ask for transit and/or to port. It'd be at the Minister's discretion at that point. Seems to be some posturing and putting the cruise lines on notice that they (the Canadian Gov't) have the right of refusal. Doesn't mean they will. But they might.

Last edited:

The_Jobu

There's too many unknowns of outside forces that Len can't model based on they way things used to be modeled.

For example, when will WDW be open? No one knows that. Will there be another Great Recession? Will airlines be able to ramp up to previous capacity? Will WDW be forced to limit capacity either because they don't have the resources right away, or because of continued governmental directives?

You've got to have more faith in the power of @lentesta .

Did you ever hear the legend of Len The Wise? I thought not. It’s not a story the pixie dusters would tell you. It’s a Gloomer legend. Darth Len was a Dark poster of the forums, so powerful and so wise he could use math to influence the park goers to create touring plans… He had such a knowledge of the statistics that he could even keep the ones he cared about from waiting in line. The dark side of the forums are a pathway to many statistical abilities some consider to be... unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his fastpasses, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his website everything he knew, then his website told him the crowds would be high. Ironic. He could save others from waiting, but not himself.

Last edited:

Polynesia

The two Disney Hawaii cruises have been cancelled along with the Alaska cruises. I was booked on one of the Hawaii cruises but backed out due to a personal conflict. Hopefully they’ll put them on the 2021 itinerary now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of course you don’t, but I think it is what makes the pavilions special. But I think it hints at a longer time down then people think. Even if they transfer CM’s to the pavilions, they still have to facilitate and train.
I think there is likely going to be an international travel ban for a long time...I think Disney is way out ahead of this. Until we have near worldwide - or at least developed worldwide vaccines...I think there’s a shocking reality coming.

Maybe (probably) not business travel...but leisure definitely.

I have a 15 day trip planned to Europe in 8/2021...I don’t think I will be permitted to go.

Disney Analyst

I think there is likely going to be an international travel ban for a long time...I think Disney is way out ahead of this. Until we have near worldwide - or at least developed worldwide vaccines...I think there’s a shocking reality coming.

Maybe (probably) not business travel...but leisure definitely.

I have a 15 day trip planned to Europe in 8/2021...I don’t think I will be permitted to go.

I agree. I said this earlier (after I replied to you), but I doubt the US will be issuing any J1 Visas that the ICP's or CRP's utilize. The focus will be on work for Americans when this is all finished. Unsure how long for any countries to allow foreign workers again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom