Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NedLand

1585861033108.png

Does this look like the type of crowd that will start a riot?

Patcheslee

The argument that people won’t comply for more than a few weeks is really puzzling to me. Why wouldn’t they? This isn’t the first time society has had to make sacrifices for the greater good. The current restrictions may be unprecedented for most of us, but those who lived through WW2 put up with far worse for much longer.
I have a feeling part of it is the visibility aspect. We are fighting a virus there is no "enemy" people can put a face to on this. Other than what little my grandparents would say about WW2, I can't imagine.

LittleBuford

It means business opening up, people wearing masks for daily activities & getting on with life.

Businesses were losing customers even before official restrictions were introduced. Contrary to what some here are suggesting, a great many people are practising social distance because they know they should, not because they’re being made to. The economy will suffer whether we act or not; at least this way, lives are also being saved.

21stamps

Political Discussion is not allowed outside of the correct forum
Businesses were losing customers even before official restrictions were introduced. Contrary to what some here are suggesting, a great many people are practising social distance because they know they should, not because they’re being made to. The economy will suffer whether we act or not; at least this way, lives are also being saved.

Please let’s not pretend that we would have seen these mass layoffs without government interference.

NedLand

It looks like the type of crowd that is doing something stupid. If one has it, then they all have the potential to get it and they take it home to everyone they live with. Thats stupid while trying to be cute.
I completely agree. If it comes down to marshal law it will be their fault.

Calmdownnow

Things are going to start to brew soon. Though the official order is thru May 1, they’ve already strongly hinted that it faces a high probability of being extended.
If that happens, I just don’t think that people will remain compliant.
People, regardless of their educational attainment, once they reach their mid twenties are actually very good at personal and group risk assessment. It's an obvious survival skill. However, to make good individual risk assessments, you need good information and for those who have the loudest voices in politics, the media, faith groups and families, to provide factual information rather than spin, dogma, or economic self-interest. It's not about people being compliant, it's about people trusting the information that is out there and making sound judgements about risk and also about seeing the potential for good outcomes.

DisneyDebRob

As we’ve seen elsewhere in the developed world, you either grow another brain cell or are forced to be compliant.
Not only that but as the deaths rise, and more families become a part of the people who were affected by this virus, through death or something else, I believe that they actually will become more compliant realizing how serious this is. Most who are not in anyway dealing with a loss or someone in their family having this want the country back up and running. I’m finding out when you have to deal with this because it’s happened to you or yours is being a lot more cautious.

TrojanUSC

I believe you are in the UK. In the USA, I truly believe that at some point there will be legal challenges to these actions and many of them will be found to be unconstitutional. At the moment, people are complying for the most part because we accept the goal of "flattening the curve." The issue will be if we are into the tail of the curve and they keep extending the end date. At that point, people won't comply. The more practical of us will file lawsuits and not just start a civil disobedience campaign.

No, there’s lots of exceptions to the Bill of Rights for health & safety, generally where your rights start to impede on someone else’s safety. You can’t fire in a crowded theater, for example. Given that there’s asymptomatic spreaders, someone going to a church service or to a restaurant may very well endanger the lives of people there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom