Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Nah, at most until a vaccine, possibly sooner.
I was thinking that depending on people's cultures, some social gestures might change or be modified from now on, like people shaking hands when meeting, kisses on the cheek and hugs between non-family members, etc.

About social distancing, could that be even possible in normal life or in busy cities like NY or Tokyo? 🤷‍♀️

GoofGoof

Premium Member
ETA, 1 to 1/2 years like reported on the vaccine?
18 months likely for a vaccine. I don’t think we will be on lock down for 18 months but even if the number of cases flatlines we will still need to be cautious of a relapse. I think some form of social distancing in public will continue until then.
I was thinking that depending on people's cultures, some social gestures might change or be modified from now on, like people shaking hands when meeting, kisses on the cheek and hugs between non-family members, etc.

About social distancing, could that be even possible in normal life or in busy cities like NY or Tokyo? 🤷‍♀️
True. Could handshakes be a thing of the past? It’s possible.

Social distancing may not be possible on a train or plane but workplaces may institute a strict ban on employees coming to work sick and certain higher concentration events.

Lilofan

18 months likely for a vaccine. I don’t think we will be on lock down for 18 months but even if the number of cases flatlines we will still need to be cautious of a relapse. I think some form of social distancing in public will continue until then.

Social distancing may not be possible on a train or plane but workplaces may institute a strict ban on employees coming to work sick and certain higher concentration events.
Some of my friends work in companies where there is company attendance policy where it's pretty much black and white. Too many call sicks ( whether you are really sick or enjoying WDW) could cost you your job.

ImperfectPixie

I'm hopeful the arthritis drug that's already in use and has shown promise proves to be effective and that we're able to wrangle this thing sooner than we could hope to have a vaccine.

ImperfectPixie

Some of my friends work in companies where there is company attendance policy where it's pretty much black and white. Too many call sicks ( whether you are really sick or enjoying WDW) could cost you your job.
I would think those policies would change, but having known some really sleazy business owners, I wouldn't be really surprised if it didn't.

easyrowrdw

A lot of mainland Europe is more severe than this. Stuff just got very real.

And to be honest I’m glad. It was phrased well earlier today - “this isn’t a rehearsal. You have one chance of getting it right. Get it wrong and thousands will die. Not might. Will.“

Last week (a long long time ago) was the realisation that a do nothing or do minimal approach could cost a quarter of a million lives.

In the UK alone.

UK has 6,650 cases, which is the tenth highest in the world. There are 335 deaths. That's a rate about half of what it's being said we'd see (0.5% vs 1-1.5%). All things considered, that doesn't seem that bad. Why do you think such extreme measures are needed at this time? I'm not there so I'm really interested in your perspective.

TrojanUSC

UK has 6,650 cases, which is the tenth highest in the world. There are 335 deaths. That's a rate about half of what it's being said we'd see (0.5% vs 1-1.5%). All things considered, that doesn't seem that bad. Why do you think such extreme measures are needed at this time? I'm not there so I'm really interested in your perspective.

Can't speak directly as I'm not there, but I'd imagine a lot of people taking their own proactive measures to social distance and encouragement by local officials to do so, is what has kept the numbers down to some extent.

Curious to hear @marni1971 take.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm hopeful the arthritis drug that's already in use and has shown promise proves to be effective and that we're able to wrangle this thing sooner than we could hope to have a vaccine.
Maybe it will just disappear like SARS and MERS did. Probably wishful thinking, but one can hope. This one is a lot more widespread but I still don’t think anyone knows why SARS just disappeared.

The drugs should at a minimum help keep serious cases and deaths down and keep hospitals from being overrun.

easyrowrdw

Many places they already have. Might ask them why they are hanging on?

In my area we've been inching up in cases over the past few weeks. There has been one death out of 57 confirmed cases. We've been social distancing for more than a couple weeks now and non-essential businesses have been closed for about a week. They just issued a stay-home order for two weeks.

Schools are currently set to reopen in a couple weeks (that's a month of being out). That doesn't seem crazy to me given how little progresssion we've had in conjunction with the measures already employed. Maybe a little bit longer than that, but the end of May seems pretty out there for how mild it's been around here.

DisneyDebRob

I think as long as they add time to the end or give you a credit back for the time the parks are closed it’s fine. The monthly payments are financing a purchase already made. Otherwise you would need to offer refunds to anyone who already paid upfront.
I see your point. Just had to make my DVC dues payment for this month for upkeep. There’s no upkeep going on. Could be paying it for a few months with nothing being done. Not complaining, just saying. 🙂

lisa12000

335/6650 is 5%...

Yep at the moment although the uk government have said they believe up to 100,000 may already be infected so work out the mortality rate from that.

obviously I’m in as much shock as marni1971 - I’ve lost my job due to this and all of a sudden my cancelled Wdw holiday seems totally trivial now I can’t see my mum and my son for at least three weeks and probably longer. Sadly I got excited that our hardware stores are open so I can walk to get some paint for the spare room finally! This is what it becomes (yes I guess that may not be classed as essential but will take it as my one walk out of the day I’m allowed!)

my concern is that we cannot get delivery slots for food for over a month and if public pressure continues to grow to shut Down all our takeaway services then many people will struggle to eat! I’ve heard of horrific reports of elderly people being found dead in spain as they’ve been abandoned! Is this really what it has come to?

I feel there will be two distinct camps from now on 1) the view that the economy must get going ASAP or else social collapse will ensure 2) the get rid of the virus at all costs camp as seen in Europe - no middle ground! I’m really not sure I’m objective right now but tend to be veering towards camp 1) I have to admit

durangojim

Things escalate very quickly. Look at the US. If the inevitability is that everything is going to be shut down at some point, better to do it as soon as possible and try to contain the virus as best you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom