Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

There are no tests in most states.

here, we know there is community spread but limited tests mean they are only testing people who are hospitalized for the most part - new testing guidelines already came out for this in our state until more tests are available. It gives everyone a false sense that it isn’t there yet.

in 2-3 weeks our healthcare system will be in trouble

That’s what I’d like to know.. How long ago was the first person diagnosed, in each county, and how many have been tested. are they testing people who had contact with those diagnosed?
Have the recovered people given it to anyone else?

Im not watching any “news” right now unless it’s an official announcement.. so I don’t know those answers and hoped someone here may know.

wishiwere@wdw

I guess if the restrictions are lightened, Disney can do what they want. I get your point, for sure it would be lower crowds. But lower crowds for Disney is still thousands. I just don’t see many family with kids, if these measures take place, going until it’s fully open.
Can you imagine.. hey we are going to Disney. No, you can’t meet Mickey. No you can’t meet Elsa. No, there won’t be any fireworks. Going to be a tough sell IMO.
Absolutely agree. It’s going to be a slow ramp up for sure. You aren’t going to get the tourists back with half the experience available. But locals will be there either way.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Like the first Flu season? When when that, 100 years ago???? No Sass here, I really don't know.

1918?

I really don't know if that was the first flu season but certainly the first (and thankfully only) flu pandemic. We're in a Covid pandemic so hopefully we develop antibodies, develop vaccines, develop antivirals, and then in future years we can treat this the same way we treat the flu.

ImperfectPixie

I meant when this is all over. Do we need to keep up Social Distancing and everything else?
I'm not sure how long we'll have to, but it will end at some point. Either when we all develop some immunity from community spread, or when a vaccine is released.

jrhwdw

1918?

I really don't know if that was the first flu season but certainly the first (and thankfully only) flu pandemic. We're in a Covid pandemic so hopefully we develop antibodies, develop vaccines, develop antivirals, and then in future years we can treat this the same way we treat the flu.
I'm not sure how long we'll have to, but it will end at some point. Either when we all develop some immunity from community spread, or when a vaccine is released.
No. This is not a permanent situation. Look at China; they're already easing up on restrictions, from what I've heard. This will end, we just need patience.
Thanks!

orlandogal22

The Florida site updated at 11am, and with it added even more transparent info like total people tested. They are reporting 2493 have been tested, 314 positive, and 954 still pending.

Actually a really interesting site as long as you don't freak yourself out too much.
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

Yes, I'll give my state credit. They've been really transparent about many things. I've been able to go county-by-county and case-by-case to review ages of positives, resident / non-resident, whether or not their situation was international travel-related, and / or current status.

hopemax

1918?

I really don't know if that was the first flu season but certainly the first (and thankfully only) flu pandemic.
Not even close. Sorry. There were 3 flu Pandemics in the 20th century. 1918, 1957 (my Dad talks about this one) and 1968. But the 1918 one was the worst. And yes this kind of shutting things down happened. Some places, like Philadelphia didn’t take it seriously and it’s outcome was worse.

Historically, they think influenza originated in China around 6000 BC. It was recorded in writings by Hippocrates. And it is suspected that Christopher Columbus’ ships brought it to the New World, devastating Native populations who had no immunity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The Florida site updated at 11am, and with it added even more transparent info like total people tested. They are reporting 2493 have been tested, 314 positive, and 954 still pending.

Actually a really interesting site as long as you don't freak yourself out too much.
https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429
Seems like we are finally ramping up, at least in some places. We are supposed to get a drive thru testing spot soon by me. Only a matter of time before everyone needing a test can get one right away. First step toward turning the corner even though the number of positives is likely to go up dramatically.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Regarding the "modified park experience" - what's the point? To recoup money? Or is it the "some is better than none" theory? It doesn't seem worth a trip to Disney for half the amount of attractions, especially at a time when it's not safe to be around crowds. They should just stay shut down until this is all over. It sucks, but it sucks for a lot of other companies and travelers too right now.
They need to get back open as soon as possible for obvious reasons, and I think there will be enough people willing to accept a modified experience to make it viable. But we'll see.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not even close. Sorry. There were 3 flu Pandemics in the 20th century. 1918, 1957 (my Dad talks about this one) and 1968. But the 1918 one was the worst. And yes this kind of shutting things down happened. Some places, like Philadelphia didn’t take it seriously and it’s outcome was worse.
Yeah, yeah, yeah we threw snowballs at Santa Claus too ;) We do like a good parade...like the Super Bowl one a few years back :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom