Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm with you 1,000 percent. But I know several doctors who are taking this seriously. So I'm somewhere in the middle, keeping my head down trying not to listen to the media but following CDC guidance.
I absolutely agree it should be taken seriously. But I also feel that some people need to turn off the news for awhile. the things I have overheard people in the grocery store talking about are just absolutely ridiculous. People are scared out of their minds and it's not their fault they just need to turn off the TV.

JohnD

Regarding the "modified park experience" - what's the point? To recoup money? Or is it the "some is better than none" theory? It doesn't seem worth a trip to Disney for half the amount of attractions, especially at a time when it's not safe to be around crowds. They should just stay shut down until this is all over. It sucks, but it sucks for a lot of other companies and travelers too right now.

The point is: If they really open April 1, is to continue to follow CDC guidelines, especially for social distancing. So half-capacity restaurants. Fewer people in indoor queues, etc. No matter when they opened, it was pretty clear it wouldn't be at full capacity because they would have to cycle back to normal operations slowly anyway.

21stamps

It's interesting to watch the media shift their coverage now to the "terrified doctors and nurses".

While you make a valid point, it's still heavily based on speculation. But even if there are thousands or even hundreds of thousands more infected, the death toll isnt skyrocketing. Especially considering that those hundreds of thousands are getting no treatment at all.

There are however, solid facts about the recovery rate which is being COMPLETELY ignored by the same people who continue to spread fear, the media.

So what we’re left with is millions of people who just have a normal cold or flu or pneumonia.. now thinking they have COVID-19... and they public assumes the same.. so even if you have any of these common illnesses, you’re supposed to put your life on hold and quarantine yourself.

That’s half of the madness right there. Easily solved by testing, but that’s not an option unfortunately.

Shouldigo12

The point is: If they really open April 1, is to continue to follow CDC guidelines, especially for social distancing. So half-capacity restaurants. Fewer people in indoor queues, etc. No matter when they opened, it was pretty clear it wouldn't be at full capacity because they would have to cycle back to normal operations slowly anyway.
If they open April 1, they would already be completely ignoring CDC guidelines. No matter how they modify the experience.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Question-

If this is spreading like wildfire, why is my neighboring county still at 6 cases, 4 being 1 household?
Shouldn’t we know how many have been tested in that county?

When people are asking for data.. this is why. It is an incomplete picture with more questions than answers.

Can we just agree that anyone who wants to have this conversation again goes back 30 pages and reads those posts instead?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Thankfully over here (UK) they’re also reporting on China.
Screenshot_20200318-113419.png

The recovery rate (world wide) seems promising. And only 6% of active cases are critical. And fwiw, I'm not saying Corona should be taken lightly, it would just be very helpful if the news and media reminded people of these numbers instead of strictly focussing on the negative.

Last edited:

21stamps

Can we just agree that anyone who wants to have this conversation again goes back 30 pages and reads those posts instead?

I read other people who are thinking too, questioning the same in the past few pages. Hopefully more people will be prompted to start to think and question, and then maybe we’ll get some answers.

imsosarah

Even current modeling shows a potelohighwr number than that. While it doesn’t say 60-80% it says the number of Americans and knowing the population we can do math. 60-80% is also the expected rate in most other countries at this point if the shutdowns continue not to be taken seriously.

20% of those do need medical intervention.

But I appreciate how this has aged in believing it’s all made up as our numbers here are doubling...

I'd like to see a link where you learned that 60-80% of Americans would be INFECTED. Know why? Because you didn't. You likely read that a majority will come in CONTACT with the virus. That doesn't mean they all get it. That doesn't mean that if they do, they'll even experience symptoms.

And not everyone that gets it needs a hospital bed.

View attachment 455572

wishiwere@wdw

I read this and said to myself.. ok, where do people go? I understand what they might be doing but can’t put it together in my head. Main Street stores? No parades or fireworks? Like I said, makes sense with what’s going on but what do you do or where do you go?
Your almost better off just staying closed until this whole thing runs its course.
While I get your point, do not view this from a previous norm perspective. I believe the thinking is that this will be very manageable, at least early on, due to such light projected attendance. As bookings build up and they have visibility into upcoming crowd patterns, it will hopefully no longer warrant such drastic measures. IMO, in the weeks just after reopening it will be nearly all locals and while that is no small number, it’s not even close to where the parks were at which should allow these procedures to work just fine.

jrhwdw

If they open April 1, they would already be completely ignoring CDC guidelines. No matter how they modify the experience.
So they should open mid May or Memorial Weekend since CDC now says 8 weeks? I'm all for keeping people safe and healthy, but we don't have to Social Distance forever now do we??? Or will that go away when the virus dies?

imsosarah

There are no tests in most states.

here, we know there is community spread but limited tests mean they are only testing people who are hospitalized for the most part - new testing guidelines already came out for this in our state until more tests are available. It gives everyone a false sense that it isn’t there yet.

in 2-3 weeks our healthcare system will be in trouble

Question-

If this is spreading like wildfire, why is my neighboring county still at 6 cases, 4 being 1 household?
Shouldn’t we know how many have been tested in that county?

When people are asking for data.. this is why. It is an incomplete picture with more questions than answers.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
So they should open mid May or Memorial Weekend since CDC now says 8 weeks? I'm all for keeping people safe and healthy, but we don't have to Social Distance forever now do we??? Or will that go away when the virus dies?

The virus will not die. The goal is to reach a state where the virus is endemic like the flu

DisneyDebRob

While I get your point, do not view this from a previous norm perspective. I believe the thinking is that this will be very manageable, at least early on, due to such light projected attendance. As bookings build up and they have visibility into upcoming crowd patterns, it will hopefully no longer warrant such drastic measures. IMO, in the weeks just after reopening it will be nearly all locals and while that is no small number, it’s not even close to where the parks were at which should allow these procedures to work just fine.
I guess if the restrictions are lightened, Disney can do what they want. I get your point, for sure it would be lower crowds. But lower crowds for Disney is still thousands. I just don’t see many family with kids, if these measures take place, going until it’s fully open.
Can you imagine.. hey we are going to Disney. No, you can’t meet Mickey. No you can’t meet Elsa. No, there won’t be any fireworks. Going to be a tough sell IMO.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
View attachment 457099

View attachment 457099

The recovery rate (world wide) seems promising. And only 6% of active cases are critical. And fwiw, I'm not saying Corona should be taken lightly, it would just be very helpful if the news and media reminded people of these numbers instead of strictly focussing on the negative.
The media wants people to continue to watch. Just like a snow storm around me, if one network calls for an inch of snow and one network calls for a foot the network calling for a foot gets higher ratings.

That being said I think they also need to spend more time highlighting that just because you aren’t in an ICU bed doesn’t mean this is a mild sickness. Too many people are not taking this seriously because they aren‘t in the high risk age group and think this is just a bad cold or the flu.

JohnD

Well, I scheduled a trip for the last week in May. But who knows? I'll dutifully start my FP selections next Thursday, 3/26.

LSLS

View attachment 457099

The problem is if they don't concentrate on the negative, too many people will take a "See, we will be fine, don't worry about it," approach (see the Clearwater beaches, guy who checked out of hospital, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom