Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainplane3

Regarding the "modified park experience" - what's the point? To recoup money? Or is it the "some is better than none" theory? It doesn't seem worth a trip to Disney for half the amount of attractions, especially at a time when it's not safe to be around crowds. They should just stay shut down until this is all over. It sucks, but it sucks for a lot of other companies and travelers too right now.
I'd guess that.

A good few attractions would probably go "seasonal". I'm thinking Tiki Room, CoP, Country Bears, probably some WS movies, maybe one of the Dumbo spinners, Aladdin spinner, Muppets 3d, one Soarin' theater, etc. You'd have the "big" rides open but the smaller people eaters would close to reduce the overall running cost. They could spin it as "social distancing" too if they tried hard enough.

thomas998

You are correct if saying you can find whatever backs up your beliefs, studies that say anything anyone wants to enforce their beliefs. If I wanted to see if ghosts or the yeti or if there is a flat earth just type in that and you can be swayed that way. When it comes to global warming and you find out 97-98% of scientists agree, I tend to believe that.
As for the media, I agree. They can make people panic with keywords or putting something on from someone that is just guessing or doesn’t have any facts with them. it’s tough trying to wade through everything being thrown at us, but doing diligent homework on our own parts instead of believing every thing posted online or seeing on tv helps.
You can't just go by what most claim either, remember at one time everyone except Galileo would have sworn on a stack of bibles that the earth was flat and the world revolved the Earth.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They need to get back open as soon as possible for obvious reasons, and I think there will be enough people willing to accept a modified experience to make it viable. But we'll see.
Agreed. There’s also a psychological impact for the whole country to just being able to say Disney parks are re-open. Same goes for high profile things like sports and Broadway theaters. I think in the beginning these types of things will be the norm. Like extreme security right after 9/11.

Kristamouse

As a sahm I can say I am telling everyone to "enjoy this time" sarcastically. Many people don't know what it's like to spend more than a few hours a day with their kids 🤣 Im also freaking out because since I'm pregnant, I do not have the company of wine to help me though this time 😁

I just look at it like a hurricane. But atleast we have power.
SAHM to 6 here, 😂😂😂

JohnD

If you look at the things being cancelled that should give you the current best time frame. Right now things in June to mid July are being cancelled.

Rolling Stones Concert: Mid May to August (Postponed till Sept or later)
Glastonberry: Late June Cancelled
Euro 2020: Mid June Mid July Cancelled

If I can't go, I can't go. It's the last week before my Silver Pass blocks me out over the summer. So, I'll just wait and see at this point.

Shouldigo12

Agreed. There’s also a psychological impact for the whole country to just being able to say Disney parks are re-open. Same goes for high profile things like sports and Broadway theaters. I think in the beginning these types of things will be the norm. Like extreme security right after 9/11.
For sure. Disney is so symbolic, even to people who don't go much/at all.

monothingie

Too bad, sugar puff. We could have been something.
Premium Member
They need to get back open as soon as possible for obvious reasons, and I think there will be enough people willing to accept a modified experience to make it viable. But we'll see.
That modified experience had better come with some major incentives and reduced pricing. The current pricing structure will NOT help bring guests back to parks.

The Mom

Premium Member
I meant when this is all over. Do we need to keep up Social Distancing and everything else?

I wish they would use the term physical distancing, rather than social distancing. So yes, it would be prudent to remember physical distancing in the future - especially during flu season. Keep distance between yourself and others, especially if either of you is coughing. Cover your cough with something other than your hand - use kleenex or handkerchief (that's what people used before kleenex - just be sure to wash it in hot water when you get home) if you can't reach your elbow, and wash your hands properly & fequently. Don't touch your face. Be careful of those in high risk groups. Be careful about touching public surfaces, and become a bit more of a germaphobe than previously.

We probably will not have to stay at home in the future unless ill., One good thing to come out of this is that we may lessen the incidences and deaths associated with seasonal flu going forward.

thomas998

This is happening now, but the issues, and justifications given, were very different.

I was an adult during the oil crisis - we were told that we had to conserve energy, buy smaller and more full efficient cars, and odd/even gasoline days and waiting in line would be the new normal - because we were running out of oil and better to suffer a bit now rather than our grandchildren living in a cold, dark world. I don't think I was the only one who "bought" the we're running out of oil scenario and then felt like a fool when I discovered it was just OPEC trying to keep the prices high.

I understand that this is very different, and will have more serious consequences if people who disregard guidelines are wrong, but we've been fooled before. I have no problem with social distancing - although I wish they would call it physical distancing. Leaving your home to take a walk in the forest is very different than going to a crowded bar. But lack of societal common sense makes a one size fits all directive necessary.

I personally am taking precautions very seriously, and am not dismissing this as nothing. I'm just trying to explain why some people who should be the most concerned about this are being so nonchalant.

As someone said, when people are in the background trying to avert disaster, and they succeed, the general population has no way of really knowing. It wasn't until I was an adult that I fully realized how much danger we were in during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Not sure where you grew up but the Cuban Missile crisis was pretty much considered the coming of the end of the world. My grandparents had a bunker in their back yard designed with radioactive fallout in mind. It's over kill for tornados but that's all its really used for anymore. In the end I think we will find the real facts of just how dangerous this virus really was, but it may be a year or longer before the real facts get sorted from the chicken little squawking that has been coming from the media. I'm guessing it will be much closer to the Hong Kong pandemic of the late 1960's than it will be to the Spanish flu pandemic...

Jenny72

If (that's a big "if" of course) I were sure it was safe/approved by CDC, I'd be willing to go to WDW with a lot of stuff closed. Presumably there'd be lower crowds so I feel like it would be worth it. Plus I'd just be happy to do something fun and normal.

I wish we knew for sure that once you were infected and recovered you were immune and not capable of spreading the virus, because then you'd have people that for sure could be out and about, and even volunteer or be paid to take care of others (deliver food, help out at home, etc.).

jrhwdw

Not even close. Sorry. There were 3 flu Pandemics in the 20th century. 1918, 1957 (my Dad talks about this one) and 1968. But the 1918 one was the worst. And yes this kind of shutting things down happened. Some places, like Philadelphia didn’t take it seriously and it’s outcome was worse.

Historically, they think influenza originated in China around 6000 BC. It was recorded in writings by Hippocrates. And it is suspected that Christopher Columbus’ ships brought it to the New World, devastating Native populations who had no immunity.
Why did the pandemic resurface 2 times???? Was it a different type like H1N1?

thomas998

Yeah, either that or things will turn out much less deadly BECAUSE everyone “overreacted” and took drastic steps to stop the spread.
What we are doing now won't impact the mortality rate of the virus. It will only lengthen out the time until pretty much everyone has been infected.

JohnD

I'd guess that.

A good few attractions would probably go "seasonal". I'm thinking Tiki Room, CoP, Country Bears, probably some WS movies, maybe one of the Dumbo spinners, Aladdin spinner, Muppets 3d, one Soarin' theater, etc. You'd have the "big" rides open but the smaller people eaters would close to reduce the overall running cost. They could spin it as "social distancing" too if they tried hard enough.

Rides like Soarin' would have to at least space people every other seat. Then there's the handles on Pandora. CMs would need to spray/wipe them down after every ride. I could go on with other examples.

Mouse Trap

Restrictions could cover a lot of things.i wouldn't be surprised if restrictions lasted that long, but I would imagine they would be slowly eased up over time and would be relatively mild by that point in time.

I agree. I am no medical professional, but COVID19 will be something we all just live with like H1N1. We'll be getting a dose of the vaccine yearly with the usual flu shot concoction. Business will hopefully return to usual within the next month or two, but precautions and some sort of "restrictions" will be at an all-time high until the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom