Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TashK

This whole situation only emphasizes what a flimsy house of cards the US economy is.

No stable employment? No sick leave? No healthcare? No savings?

No problem! Unless something happens.
Yesterday here in Australia the Prime Minister announced a payment $750 per person for people on benefits. The hashtag #my750 was trending and reading it was extraordinary to understand just how tough things are. It seemed like almost half were going to use it for urgent dental care.

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
So those wonder why Disney World would close prematurely I thought this quote from our local new hit it spot on. It's all about how it would look.

"A new analysis from a Wall Street firm said that in their opinion it's not a matter of "if" but "when" Disney World will close. ......

“It's hard to imagine how long Disney wants to keep its parks open, until a case is confirmed inside its premises. The financial and brand damage from that would obviously, be much worse than the cost of shutting down the parks temporarily,” the report said. "

The Mom

Premium Member
who has been tested here...in tampa good luck on that

I, like most of the population at this point, have had no reason to be tested. I would just be doing it out of curiosity, which is not a legitimate reason. I am retired from healthcare, and have limited exposure to anyone (except my husband) on a day to day basis. And I intend to keep it that way. ;)

I hope that the "millions" of new test kits promised the other day materialize soon - for those who are symptomatic or have been exposed to someone who has tested positive.

LittleBuford

You know what really disturbs me on this thread that there is some people on this thread that seems to have a real amount of glee about the thought of WDW closing without really understanding the impact it has on people both in terms of workers, and also people who have been looking forward to holidays for so long - its okay that people saying its only holidays but for me it really is the light at the end of a really dark tunnel.

Can you quote any these supposedly gleeful posts?

Calmdownnow

not so much on the triage front
The triage issue is not to do with the competence of the health care professionals, it is to do with supply and demand. If you only have so many ICU beds/respirators etc and you have more patients that need that equipment, you will have to make choices about who gets the treatment. The triage process then often discriminates against the elderly because it is based on who is more likely to survive for longer and who is most economically active -- a 50 year old could have 30+ years of added life (versus 5+ years for a 75 year old) and is likely to be still in active employment and the main paycheck supplier for a wider family.

The U.S. does not have a massive store of "just in case" respirators, any more than Italy did. Every country tends to have just enough to meet the expected need in each hospital, plus a few others that are stored in reserve in case of a blip in admissions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Again, not saying this is nothing, but you have to be very careful ruining the economy while failing to stop something that is likely already out of control. If that ship has sailed, you manage this the best you can while not shutting down the economy. I don’t have all the answers, but surely you feel some people have to go to work?
It’s gonna be hard for a lot of people to go to work. In my county in PA they just closed schools for 2 weeks. That also includes any state licensed daycare center. People with kids either in school or daycare now have a childcare issue. Some people may be able to work from home and keep an eye on their kids at the same time or maybe take turns missing work if it’s a couple, but single parents working hourly jobs that don’t have that option will be stuck with time off without pay. As time goes on a lot more people are going to get sick too and will at least temporarily without work. WDW is a huge employer and specifically in the Orlando area but this impacts a whole lot of other people too.

fctiger

I mean, ok...but you’re still spreading the virus if you have to leave the house, even for groceries.

Then what’s the plan? You keep everything closed until everyone is fine? How do you test that? I don’t know the answer, but the containment ship is sailing fast And can’t be sustained.

The question is, what do you do then? Sitting at home forever won’t fix this because basic services still have to run and people need supplies.

China has been doing basically this for two months now. Most things are shut down save for supermarkets, drug stores, hospitals and necessary governmental services. Not one school is open anywhere yet and they been shut down since January. The were told they might go back this month but now its being pushed back to April. Some cities have more activity than others but generally speaking most of the country are staying indoors unless they are vital in some way. And that country has over a billion people. I don't think it will be as necessary in America because we're not anywhere close to what China is experiencing but I wouldn't be too surprised there is a massive shut down in certain states where the virus is more wide spread or places with a lot more people.

Magic Feather

Couldn’t we just leave Magic Kingdom and Epcot open, with the Magic kingdom and Epcot hotels running??
That would be a very hard no. It will be all or nothing if it comes to that.

The big issue with WDW isn’t the parks or profits, but the hotels. WDW has tens of thousands of people staying onsite on a daily basis. Relocating all of these people is incredibly difficult.
I would seriously advise people not come to Orlando if you are from out of town. Whether you pick it up there and bring it home, or you have it at home and unknowingly bring it there, it is all around a bad idea.
That said, Central Floridians are not off the hook. Don’t just use work being off and schools being out as free time at the parks. Take caution.

ImperfectPixie

the mainstream media gave up on being a public resource awhile ago. Two months ago they were calling people conspiracy theorists. Now they say not enough is happening.
They've been going downhill for a long time...I think they just picked up speed with the current crisis. I've said it before, and I'll say it again here...at some point, accountability needs to come into play.

Chef Mickey

yeah. China did a good job starting this worldwide mess in the first place. And this isn’t the first time. So screw them. The world should take notice for once what a hot mess they are and that they don’t even have their own citizens interest in mind, let alone the rest of the world.
Yeah, that is a separate issue. I do blame China for starting this.

HongKongFooy

Some level of compassion would be nice

I feel big time for the rank and file personnel on both properties .....
Those that were ready to pay $700+ per night at Poly......well, for the most part, I don't worry about so much as chances are they will be OK.

My first concern is with those that will be under lockdown compliments of Pres.
Duturte via Philippine National Police in Metro Manila. I have countless friends and family there who will be under Martial containment.

lisa12000

Can you quote any these supposedly gleeful posts?

Well there was one not far back proving my point going “all those who are taking about spring break....no wdw for you” my god seriously there is no need! People are fed up enough as it is - there has been many instances on this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom