Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chef Mickey

You start closing everything and then millions more die from starvation than they would’ve for the virus.
That’s kind of where I am. The virus may be bad...I get it...but the alternative creates a lot of unintended consequences too.

I don’t know the right answer, but it seems like containing it may be impossible and efforts to stop it create other, perhaps worse issues. If you own stocks, you see how powerful this is. At some point, it doesn’t even matter if the confidence is lost.

Until you close everything, this will spread more and maybe even still.

VaderTron

I wouldn't call AIG 'cuzin Ned'

It's why I said you need a policy above the norm. Most only cover issues why YOU can't go... or if the entity is covered itself in the policy.

For instance I have two other trips this month booked with flight and hotel for other reasons.. my travel insurance has no coverage on either trip. Because the insurance is on my airfare... not my 'event' I was going to.

AIG also offers optional "cancel for any reason" coverage. So your are correct. They are not a no-name establishment that doesn't offer high level coverage. Really then, it's up to the consumer to decide if they want to put the extra money down knowing there is a small chance they will use it OR, instead bank that money each time and then the one time you do lose out you will have already "paid for it" by refusing the insurance for all of the prior trips. Either way, it's a risk.

Chef Mickey

Yes. All of those need (not grocery stores) to close. And standing in crowds at Wal Mart is unwise. This is a Big Deal.

I don’t know if you were around for 9/11 (or, heck, for WWII) but there are moments when normalcy stops and you find yourself in big-h History, the stuff you will tell your kids about. It doesn’t feel good. It feels like you are untethered, floating. But if you don’t adapt, you’re stuck there for longer then you should be.
I mean, ok...but you’re still spreading the virus if you have to leave the house, even for groceries.

Then what’s the plan? You keep everything closed until everyone is fine? How do you test that? I don’t know the answer, but the containment ship is sailing fast And can’t be sustained.

The question is, what do you do then? Sitting at home forever won’t fix this because basic services still have to run and people need supplies.

DisneyGigi

I cancelled our small trip, for the first of May- we were taking our elderly, with health issue, parents- Part of me felt like I was jumping the gun, by doing so. Now, not feeling that way. I honestly did not feel like we would see US park closures, just wanted to be on the safe side.

I would also like to say that I don’t get panic, but the people that assume it is nothing, don’t know, and we shouldn’t hurt others, by us not being careful. I don’t want to expose my parents, by my No care attitude

Hoping and praying it is nothing, but for the sake of our older family, friends, and those, like me that periodically have to take immune suppressant Meds, be careful around loved ones.

nothing is hurt by being careful.

ImperfectPixie

I mean, ok...but you’re still spreading the virus if you have to leave the house, even for groceries.

Then what’s the plan? You keep everything closed until everyone is fine? How do you test that? I don’t know the answer, but the containment ship is sailing fast And can’t be sustained.

The question is, what do you do then? Sitting at home forever won’t fix this because basic services still have to run and people need supplies.
Even a 2-3 week closure of everything wouldn't be enough. Asymptomatic spread. There is NO stopping this...just slowing it down. Unfortunately, I don't have very much faith in the ability of the American people to do what's best for everyone.

Italy does not have a cruddy healthcare system, particularly in Northern Italy where most of the cases so far have been identified. It has many experienced dedicated professional health care practitioners and universal access to medical services. Many of those front line medical staff have been working flat out for months to try to keep people alive, having to make awful triage decisions about which patients can receive full respiratory care/treatment because the severely infected numbers are higher than the number of available ICU beds or oxygen kits. Many Italian health care workers have been infected in the process.

Italy has about the same size population as Florida. At this time of year (with snowbirds), Florida probably has a higher percentage of older people in the population.

The number of deaths in Italy is increasing massively every day. If a similar trajectory hits any part of the U.S. then there will be real heartache for communities. Learn from the Italian experience of this disease, but don't denigrate the health care systems there, which in many ways is more sophisticated and more than ambitious than a U.S. health care system that fails to provide basic health support to vast swathes of the country and a business model that -- unlike many developed economies -- fails to provide sick pay to many workers..
Italy does basic healthcare very well...not so much on the triage front

flynnibus

Premium Member

Containment is not about 100% stoppage - it's also about slowing the spread. Preventing large clusters of diverse people has a huge impact in distribution. Even if you goto the grocery store and 2 people pick it up.. that is far far better than 200 people.

These kinds of measures have value - even if it's not water tight.

Chef Mickey

Even a 2-3 week closure of everything wouldn't be enough. Asymptomatic spread. There is NO stopping this...just slowing it down. Unfortunately, I don't have very much faith in the ability of the American people to do what's best for everyone.
No question. China and South Korea actually did a good job, but America is too big geographically and has too many non conformists to make it any kind of good outcome. We don’t have nearly the authoritative government or even process in place to execute a shutdown.

My best suggestion would be the government to stimulate as much as possible, in a big way, and incentivize companies to develop vaccines and treatments as quickly as possible.

If you slow the virus and destroy the economy, that’s not a great outcome either.

Chef Mickey

It may not be a great outcome but it may become the most viable option.
Again, not saying this is nothing, but you have to be very careful ruining the economy while failing to stop something that is likely already out of control. If that ship has sailed, you manage this the best you can while not shutting down the economy. I don’t have all the answers, but surely you feel some people have to go to work?

Brer Oswald

So you’re smarter then every single expert in the world, everybody at the WHO and CDC, in the health ministry of every one of the world’s nations? Must be nice. Probably shouldn’t be wasting your time here.
Doesn’t take a genius to understand the concept. Many of the people being tested have serious cases. Nearly all of the deceased that died from it were recorded in the statistic. Those that have had it and didn’t feel the need to go the hospital because they only experienced flu/cold symptoms won’t know if they had it or not. If this thing is as easily transmissible as they claim, there are several undocumented mild cases.

fctiger

This whole situation only emphasizes what a flimsy house of cards the US economy is.

No stable employment? No sick leave? No healthcare? No savings?

No problem! Unless something happens.

It's so true. Its really sad we're supposedly the richest country on the planet and yet most people can barely survive on their own if they are out of a job for a month or two and these are people who have literally been working decades. I can't fanthom someone who has been working for 20 and 30 years and the second they lose that job for even a few weeks they are practically unable to survive without assistance of some kind. This always comes up every time there is fear of a government shut down. No one who has been working ANYWHERE for years should have to suddenly worry about losing their homes if they are out of work for a short time or can't pay for a hospital bill.

Brer Oswald

It would be wise to close for two weeks during the greatest chance of spread. Sooner than later we will have to continue on as usual, and I guarantee this thing won’t be gone by that point.

seascape

I'm worried about WDW CMs that rely on tips to bring their wages up.
That is a hard one. Guaranteeing them the normal wage is one thing but as you said, some who get tips can make much more and they will be hurt but it would not be reasonable to expect Disney to pay some way more than others. I think I tip pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom