Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

The annual Grainger event show cancelled their annual convention in March. Many of the attendees stay at Swan, Dolphin, premium Disney resorts, have huge convention parties at WDW and rent out parts of the theme parks at night. That's a big loss for WDW and Orlando.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Yeah, only if it's in close contact

"There is much to learn about the newly emerged COVID-19, including how and how easily it spreads. Based on what is currently known about COVID-19 and what is known about other coronaviruses, spread is thought to occur mostly from person-to-person via respiratory droplets among close contacts.

Close contact can occur while caring for a patient, including:

being within approximately 6 feet (2 meters) of a patient with COVID-19 for a prolonged period of time.
having direct contact with infectious secretions from a patient with COVID-19. Infectious secretions may include sputum, serum, blood, and respiratory droplets."

So if someone has it and they're on the other side of the room, chances are high you wont get it.

Thank you for posting this. While it is possible to get infected from being across the room from somebody or being in an elevator with them, it is far more likely to be infected if you live in the same house with an infected person or work/go to school at a desk next to them where you are near them for prolonged periods of time.

You don't automatically become infected if one virus particle gets into your system. Any viral or bacterial infection needs a critical mass to infect you. In people in good health and with healthy immune systems, it takes more viral particles to cause an infection.

Take a common cold for example. When somebody has a cold in a class or workplace, every single other person doesn't catch a cold.

flutas

Thank you for posting this. While it is possible to get infected from being across the room from somebody or being in an elevator with them, it is far more likely to be infected if you live in the same house with an infected person or work/go to school at a desk next to them where you are near them for prolonged periods of time.

So possible just walking around at Disneyland/World, far more likely in line.

horaceluke

It's important to remember we all live in the 1st world where medicine is available and there are products available that can help. We need to think of all of the people living in India and Africa and parts of the middle East where if the disease gets hold will kill far more than here. Truth be told the mortality rate in the western world will be 1%-2% think of the countries of the world that don't have the medical systems we do and the mortality rate may be 10%-20% in the best case.

DisneyCane

So possible just walking around at Disneyland/World, far more likely in line.

I'd say that is true. I guess they can mitigate the effect if they went to a full virtual queue system and asked people to maintain 10 feet or so between parties when they entered the queue. You'd still have some risk in the same ride vehicle but the movement is going to help keep the particles away from you. If somebody doesn't cough or sneeze into their elbow in a ride vehicle then the risk is much higher for transmission.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
It's important to remember we all live in the 1st world where medicine is available and there are products available that can help. We need to think of all of the people living in India and Africa and parts of the middle East where if the disease gets hold will kill far more than here. Truth be told the mortality rate in the western world will be 1%-2% think of the countries of the world that don't have the medical systems we do and the mortality rate may be 10%-20% in the best case.

Absolutely this. My significant other and I were discussing this just last night.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yeah, right, Russia... pull the other one.

1583520448151.png

DisneyJoe

A fact I learned from a Netflix special "Inside Bill's Brain" about Bill Gates - diarrhea is a leading cause of death worldwide, mainly killing children and the elderly. He and his wife are working on systems to provide clean water as well as more sanitary facilities that don't need a city sewer system.

DisneyCane

It boggles my mind how Africa is barely affected by this virus yet they're battling everything else.
It could have to do with the climate and the way this spreads. It could be luck. Or could be genetics making Africans more resistant for whatever reason. Who knows. Hopefully it continues to avoid Africa.

JoeCamel

A fact I learned from a Netflix special "Inside Bill's Brain" about Bill Gates - diarrhea is a leading cause of death worldwide, mainly killing children and the elderly. He and his wife are working on systems to provide clean water as well as more sanitary facilities that don't need a city sewer system.
Plus dedicating 100 million to fight Coronavirus

Greeco

Here are just a few news headlines from the past few hours:

“Lawmakers across the country are cracking down on scam coronavirus claims and excessive pricing of consumer medical supplies.”

”Apple rejects coronavirus apps that aren't from health organizations”

”Despite robust jobs report, Dow falls 700 points as traders stay laser-focused on coronavirus”

Years from now this time in history will be studied, not only from a medical standpoint but psychological as well. The human reaction on this has been fascinating to watch. I’m not a psychologist but it’s interesting to watch the varying levels on concern this has brought. From toilet paper and hand sanitizer shortages to complete economic collapse and everything in between.

phillip9698

Please see earlier posts in this thread. We do not know that the mortality rate is higher than the flu, because we don't know how many people have been infected. Testing is only now being ramped up and still is rather minimal. It is quite likely there are many, many more people who have contracted the virus and just thought they had a cold who are not being counted in the numbers. We need time for more data to be available before reaching conclusions.

Oh god, this mindset irks me to no end. As if this is the first illness the scientists have ever encountered and they have no previous knowledge that there is a percentage of people who contract an illness but wont get officially diagnosed with it.

I been putting in labor standards and performing statistical analysis in warehouses for 15 years and it never fails, some worker thinks i missed something because i didnt follow them around specifically and capture every single thing they did for a week. Then sometimes for my own s and giggles i let them see the model breakdown and they just smile and shake my hand.

DCBaker

Premium Member
New information on Disney Cruise Line -

"Disney Cruise Line today shared with travel advisors a new cancellation policy and updated measures it’s taking regarding coronavirus (COVID-19).

Guests scheduled to sail between now and May 31, 2020 can now change their reservation up until the day before embarkation and receive a 100% cruise credit to be used for a future sailing within 12 months of their original sail date. The credit is non-refundable and standard prevailing rates will apply."

"Beginning March 6, all guests and crew members will have their temperature checked by a nurse with a no touch thermometer prior to boarding. Additional medical screenings will be required for anyone with a temperature of 100.4º F or greater, and they along with their travel party may be unable to sail.

For cruises with a port of call in Nassau or Castaway Cay, DCL noted that The Bahamas will not allow anyone to disembark in any Bahamian port if they have been to China, South Korea, Italy or Iran in the past 20 days prior to arrival. These guests and Crew Members may be able to sail but will be unable to visit The Bahamas."

DisneyCane

Oh god, this mindset irks me to no end. As if this is the first illness the scientists have ever encountered and they have no previous knowledge that there is a percentage of people who contract an illness but wont get officially diagnosed with it.

I been putting in labor standards and performing statistical analysis in warehouses for 15 years and it never fails, some worker thinks i missed something because i didnt follow them around specifically and capture every single thing they did for a week. Then sometimes for my own ****s and giggles i let them see the model breakdown and they just smile and shake my hand.

Except in this case, the experts at the WHO, NIH, CDC, etc. have all said the same thing that the mortality rate is likely to come down when they get a handle on how many cases there actually are.

phillip9698

Except in this case, the experts at the WHO, NIH, CDC, etc. have all said the same thing that the mortality rate is likely to come down when they get a handle on how many cases there actually are.

The numbers will be fined tuned and most likely come down a bit but people are acting as if the WHO is pulling numbers from their behind at this point. The model is never perfect and always becomes more accurate the more data points you have but people are trying to descredit it all for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom