Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayla

But it’s extremely unlikely that cases will rise in the next 3-5 months barring a new varient. That’s due to a few things, one is winter is ending, this is a respiratory virus, and more transmissible in indoor settings. The other is because there is a lot of people walking around who have recently been infected and/or vaccinated/boosted in the last 6 months and thus have high antibody titers that should prevent them from getting symptomatic disease.

If/when cases start to rise again, there is also the distinct likelihood that because the vast majority of Americans (I’ll be conservative and say >75% but there’s a good chance it’s >90%) are no longer immunonaieve to Covid (recovered and/or vaccinated) we should never again see the massive bump in hospitalizations as our memory B&T cell immunity should prevent severe disease outside of the typical vulnerable populations (immunosuppressed and old people.)

That’s why the CDC is making changes and you hear public health officials talk about moving on to a new phase, it has nothing to do with elections but has everything to do with the fact delta and omicron were so wide spread most Americans writher they know it or not have been exposed or vaccinated against Covid.
Unless you haven't left your house in the last 2 years and had no one else in your house in the last 2 years, you've been exposed. I have been very careful, masked everywhere in public and stayed home more often than not. But because I've been in public , flown a handful of times and eaten in restaurants, I've been exposed *somewhere*.

As far as I know, I've never had covid. But I know darn well I've been exposed to it.

Touchdown

Unless you haven't left your house in the last 2 years and had no one else in your house in the last 2 years, you've been exposed. I have been very careful, masked everywhere in public and stayed home more often than not. But because I've been in public , flown a handful of times and eaten in restaurants, I've been exposed *somewhere*.

As far as I know, I've never had covid. But I know darn well I've been exposed to it.
My guess is you’ve been vaccinated too. Therefore you are not naive to Covid. Vaccination is the safe way to be exposed. I’m talking about the 35% of Americans that aren’t fully vaccinated. There is a >75% chance they have been infected and recovered from Covid at this point.

correcaminos

I totally am aware of this too. I know I have had to be exposed. Whether it was vaccines that kept me from knowingly testing positive or what, I know I've been exposed. I know full well my child has been too. Our school notices confirmed that more than once.

My guess is you’ve been vaccinated too. Therefore you are not naive to Covid. Vaccination is the safe way to be exposed. I’m talking about the 35% of Americans that aren’t fully vaccinated. There is a >75% chance they have been infected and recovered from Covid at this point.
Where do you get that number? Curious truly.

Touchdown

I totally am aware of this too. I know I have had to be exposed. Whether it was vaccines that kept me from knowingly testing positive or what, I know I've been exposed. I know full well my child has been too. Our school notices confirmed that more than once.

Where do you get that number? Curious truly.
Alright math time. As of this morning 78,900,375 people have been confirmed to have had Covid in this country that means, assuming there have been no reinfections (which are still quite rare) 23% of Americans have had confirmed Covid, nearly 1 in 4. However, as of October 2021 the CDC estimated that only 1:4 cases were being reported, and with the increase in at home tests that’s probably conservative for the omicron wave but let’s use it. That means that there has been 315,601,500 or 95% assuming only one infection per person (however there was likely far more asymptomatic double infections so this is an over estimate.). Of the two groups, which group was more likely to get Covid? The unvaccinated of course, thus my confidence.

Patcheslee

DD13 came home with same changes to her school. Mask optional now and there will be a spring dance in April. She can't attend dance, but nice a majority of kids will get to have their first. Still no field trips though.

Ayla

I decided to order my free test kits from the federal government's website yesterday. Much to my surprise, they're supposed to arrive today! I was prepared to wait weeks for them to arrive, so that was a pleasant bit of news to find in my inbox this morning.
I didn't order any because they would have come while we were in Hawaii and I didn't want packages sitting on our front porch, and it was super cold while we were gone.

I don't see the need to order them now, anyway. Tests are readily available and we can use our HSA money to buy them. I have one unopened test left from a few months ago when omicron was ramping up and I got a few boxes.

correcaminos

Alright math time. As of this morning 78,900,375 people have been confirmed to have had Covid in this country that means, assuming there have been no reinfections (which are still quite rare) 23% of Americans have had confirmed Covid, nearly 1 in 4. However, as of October 2021 the CDC estimated that only 1:4 cases were being reported, and with the increase in at home tests that’s probably conservative for the omicron wave but let’s use it. That means that there has been 315,601,500 or 95% assuming only one infection per person (however there was likely far more asymptomatic double infections so this is an over estimate.). Of the two groups, which group was more likely to get Covid? The unvaccinated of course, thus my confidence.
I appreciate the math on this but if I know 2 people who had reinfections in just my close circle, I am not sure how rare that is. Also lots of guessing on some things like under reporting.

correcaminos

I didn't order any because they would have come while we were in Hawaii and I didn't want packages sitting on our front porch, and it was super cold while we were gone.

I don't see the need to order them now, anyway. Tests are readily available and we can use our HSA money to buy them. I have one unopened test left from a few months ago when omicron was ramping up and I got a few boxes.
Agreed. We ordered thinking we would need them. Took almost a month to arrive. Not sure we'll use them. Tests are easy to find.

DD13 came home with same changes to her school. Mask optional now and there will be a spring dance in April. She can't attend dance, but nice a majority of kids will get to have their first. Still no field trips though.
Yay for progress? We have field trips back. We also have my kid's 8th grade DC trip in May scheduled. Concerts as normal too. It's nice to see some improvements for the kids. Parenting during the pandemic here has been worse than my time dealing with an infant with reflux.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I appreciate the math on this but if I know 2 people who had reinfections in just my close circle, I am not sure how rare that is.
That really should not come into play at all when determining whether something is rare or not. A close circle is not a large enough set to make an appropriate determination with any sort of accuracy. Looking at millions of reported cases will be far more accurate, even if there may be a few data gaps.

correcaminos

That really should not come into play at all when determining whether something is rare or not. A close circle is not a large enough set to make an appropriate determination with any sort of accuracy. Looking at millions of reported cases will be far more accurate, even if there may be a few data gaps.
That's entirely my point. I don't have enough people in my circle to know how big or small reinfections were. Assuming they are rare to not count is literally that - an assumption. Right now I see 4% reinfection rate with a quick search (edit in NY). That's small but not rare.

Heppenheimer

But it’s extremely unlikely that cases will rise in the next 3-5 months barring a new varient. That’s due to a few things, one is winter is ending, this is a respiratory virus, and more transmissible in indoor settings. The other is because there is a lot of people walking around who have recently been infected and/or vaccinated/boosted in the last 6 months and thus have high antibody titers that should prevent them from getting symptomatic disease.

If/when cases start to rise again, there is also the distinct likelihood that because the vast majority of Americans (I’ll be conservative and say >75% but there’s a good chance it’s >90%) are no longer immunonaieve to Covid (recovered and/or vaccinated) we should never again see the massive bump in hospitalizations as our memory B&T cell immunity should prevent severe disease outside of the typical vulnerable populations (immunosuppressed and old people.)

That’s why the CDC is making changes and you hear public health officials talk about moving on to a new phase, with the fact delta and omicron were so wide spread most Americans whither they know it or not have been exposed or vaccinated against Covid.
We talked about this and other factors at our weekly COVID meeting. Another contributor now is the high availability of at-home testing. The ability to have a rapid answer if those sniffles are COVID or not has helped people make informed decisions about whether they should isolate, go to work, go to school, etc. I have higher faith that we might just be near the end of this... but I'm still waiting on the EUA for young children before I'll really start feel relaxed. Yup, it's all sun and roses from here on out. Thank God some power-mad autocrat hasn't invaded his neighbor and turned the existing world order upside-down... oh, wait...

Touchdown

That's entirely my point. I don't have enough people in my circle to know how big or small reinfections were. Assuming they are rare to not count is literally that - an assumption. Right now I see 4% reinfection rate with a quick search (edit in NY). That's small but not rare.
4% reinfection rate, so my numbers drop from 93% to 89%, my low estimate of >75% vaccinated or recovered still stands.

Patcheslee

Agreed. We ordered thinking we would need them. Took almost a month to arrive. Not sure we'll use them. Tests are easy to find.

Yay for progress? We have field trips back. We also have my kid's 8th grade DC trip in May scheduled. Concerts as normal too. It's nice to see some improvements for the kids. Parenting during the pandemic here has been worse than my time dealing with an infant with reflux.
You're district does D.C. as well? That's great. It's the only thing that was still planned for the 8th graders. Mines in 7th, so another year to go, but she's already excited lol.

correcaminos

You're district does D.C. as well? That's great. It's the only thing that was still planned for the 8th graders. Mines in 7th, so another year to go, but she's already excited lol.
Yep! We're about 400 miles away and the bus the kids out for 3 nights. I was so happy to see it back. The last 2 years were canceled. I went to the same middle school as my kid and did it as well years ago. So far his 8th grade has been very normal in most ways. Way better than 7th grade at least. 6th he got to do 3/4 of the year so most of the fun stuff!

maui2k7

With Disneyland Paris now allowing character meetings with no physical distancing constraints, I would imagine WDW can't be too far behind. Maybe in time for Sprint break the week of March 13th?

Mark52479

With Disneyland Paris now allowing character meetings with no physical distancing constraints, I would imagine WDW can't be too far behind. Maybe in time for Sprint break the week of March 13th?
I would imagine any day now.

With Starcruiser and Disneyland Paris. I dont see how they dont bring it back soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom