Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

G00fyDad

Interested in where you get the 90% of people don’t want to wear them and 10% can still do it if they want. Is that just your opinion on who wants to wear them or not? Every single poll and survey hand study I see says at the most 40-50% want to do away with them everywhere. Just wondering where you got those numbers and please post the link if it’s not just your opinion.
My wife still has clients saying that they won’t go unless there’s indoor masking. Of course she has others that don’t want them.
85% of all statistics are made up.

CarolinaSoprano

Interested in where you get the 90% of people don’t want to wear them and 10% can still do it if they want. Is that just your opinion on who wants to wear them or not? Every single poll and survey hand study I see says at the most 40-50% want to do away with them everywhere. Just wondering where you got those numbers and please post the link if it’s not just your opinion.
My wife still has clients saying that they won’t go unless there’s indoor masking. Of course she has others that don’t want them.
Based on that persons experience last summer when Disney dropped the mask. I too, had the same experience. When we went last July you had to really search out any mask wears. Like he said 90% of the park goers were not masked.

Heelz2315

I hate to say it but you have a better chance of being awarded a lifetime unlimited anytime LL pass than the chance of the Federal Transportation mask mandate being lifted by June.

it actually runs out March 18. I'd be surprised if they extend it. If they do it won't be about for another 30 days or so. By Memorial Day (pending anything new) I'd be surprised if they still mandated masks on airlines/trains etc. The airlines want them gone sooner than later.

mmascari

Everyone is saying this is the end... so why do you feel that way?
I agree with @DisneyCane here, it's likely the current mandate is extended.

My thoughts on why:
- It's a relatively cheap and easy thing
- Transportation is a well defined thing that's for a limited duration trip
- Once they drop the rule, it'll be almost impossible to bring it back. It's likely a one way change.
- Because of those, they'll likely want to actually see numbers down and staying down, not just headed down.
- Transportation staff is already thin enough, even a very minor impact of removing them could cause havoc.
- Transportation havoc creates cascading havoc in many other areas. Hence, it's more conservative in policy and changes.

Taken all together, it's likely that the Transportation items are the very last thing to drop. Possibly not until the national numbers are consistent and low, to avoid a patchwork of different rules.

DisneyDebRob

Based on that persons experience last summer when Disney dropped the mask. I too, had the same experience. When we went last July you had to really search out any mask wears. Like he said 90% of the park goers were not masked.
I was talking about indoor more. I was at WDW in April when they still had the outdoor mask policy. It was brutal. Temps in high 80’s and 90’s. Worst trip ever. Before you ask, I am DVC and pushed the trip off 3 times and it was a use it or lose it situation. Couldn’t even sell the points, no one was going.
As for indoors, it was 100% compliance so that’s actually what I was wondering.

correcaminos

I agree with @DisneyCane here, it's likely the current mandate is extended.

My thoughts on why:
- It's a relatively cheap and easy thing
- Transportation is a well defined thing that's for a limited duration trip
- Once they drop the rule, it'll be almost impossible to bring it back. It's likely a one way change.
- Because of those, they'll likely want to actually see numbers down and staying down, not just headed down.
- Transportation staff is already thin enough, even a very minor impact of removing them could cause havoc.
- Transportation havoc creates cascading havoc in many other areas. Hence, it's more conservative in policy and changes.

Taken all together, it's likely that the Transportation items are the very last thing to drop. Possibly not until the national numbers are consistent and low, to avoid a patchwork of different rules.
I'm really not arguing for or against. Just really saying it is set to expire in just over a month. Last extension was done on Dec 2nd with a Jan 18th day. Previous one was Aug 17th for Septmeber 13th if I have this right. We should know very soon. That's all.

With the way the world is shifting I won't even want to guess tbh

CarolinaSoprano

I was talking about indoor more. I was at WDW in April when they still had the outdoor mask policy. It was brutal. Temps in high 80’s and 90’s. Worst trip ever. Before you ask, I am DVC and pushed the trip off 3 times and it was a use it or lose it situation. Couldn’t even sell the points, no one was going.
As for indoors, it was 100% compliance so that’s actually what I was wondering.
Masks were not required last July indoors at Disney at all. Very very few people were wearing them inside the rides/shows. Which showed the majority of Disney park goers do not want them.

Lilofan

You wear a mask inside hotel rooms?
If I knew I was with an unvax person in close quarters , yes. If I was with my immounocompromised family member, yes. Last time I checked, Coronado hotel room did not have windows to get fresh air. But the mildew I can smell which last time I checked is not healthy , yes.

DisneyCane

Everyone is saying this is the end... so why do you feel that way?

Personally I have no idea when it will drop.
I feel that way because the people advising the person who gets to make the decision are very much invested in masking. When the mandate was scheduled to end last time it was extended pre-Omicron when the cases were dropping without any discussion about the possibility of letting it expire.
As @Heelz2315 noted, it is based on my experience at WDW last summer when it was dropped as well as my experience last week in Vail on a ski trip. There was a requirement in Vail that you wear a mask while riding a gondola as well as in indoor locations on the mountain. However, almost nobody that I observed (in my own cabin or getting on/off) wore one riding a gondola.

For indoor locations some people had a face covering but it was mostly neck warmers pulled up so it was hard to tell who did it specifically comply and who did it because they had it like that outside for warmth. Indoor on mountain dining had a vaccine requirement but also a mask requirement. The percentage masking while not eating was around 10%.

The people who are going on vacation are not the general population. Most people who don't feel "safe" at WDW without masking don't feel "safe" with masking either so are not going right now. The percentage I see masking voluntarily in Publix or Walmart matches your surveys pretty well. It varies depending on location. However, for people on vacation my observation is that the percentage who don't want to mask up while on vacation is around 90%.

Disney won't do it so I can't actually make the bet but I'd be willing to wager $1,000 even money that if Disney removed the requirement in the middle of the day today and sent out a push notification on the MDE app, fewer than 20% would be masking indoors within 2 hours of the policy change.

DisneyDebRob

I feel that way because the people advising the person who gets to make the decision are very much invested in masking. When the mandate was scheduled to end last time it was extended pre-Omicron when the cases were dropping without any discussion about the possibility of letting it expire.

As @Heelz2315 noted, it is based on my experience at WDW last summer when it was dropped as well as my experience last week in Vail on a ski trip. There was a requirement in Vail that you wear a mask while riding a gondola as well as in indoor locations on the mountain. However, almost nobody that I observed (in my own cabin or getting on/off) wore one riding a gondola.

For indoor locations some people had a face covering but it was mostly neck warmers pulled up so it was hard to tell who did it specifically comply and who did it because they had it like that outside for warmth. Indoor on mountain dining had a vaccine requirement but also a mask requirement. The percentage masking while not eating was around 10%.

The people who are going on vacation are not the general population. Most people who don't feel "safe" at WDW without masking don't feel "safe" with masking either so are not going right now. The percentage I see masking voluntarily in Publix or Walmart matches your surveys pretty well. It varies depending on location. However, for people on vacation my observation is that the percentage who don't want to mask up while on vacation is around 90%.

Disney won't do it so I can't actually make the bet but I'd be willing to wager $1,000 even money that if Disney removed the requirement in the middle of the day today and sent out a push notification on the MDE app, fewer than 20% would be masking indoors within 2 hours of the policy change.
I would probably take that bet just on my own experience and from the comments and concerns my wife has in booking Disney vacations. She is still receiving cancellations for upcoming trips. So maybe we are both correct. The ones that are worried are canceling while the others who don’t want to wear them are booking.

drizgirl

If I knew I was with an unvax person in close quarters , yes. If I was with my immounocompromised family member, yes. Last time I checked, Coronado hotel room did not have windows to get fresh air. But the mildew I can smell which last time I checked is not healthy , yes.
Just seems awkward to me to hang out in a hotel room with people outside my immediate family.

correcaminos

I don't disagree at all. Very valid. Just recently, I don't know for sure myself anymore. There have been rapid changes lately. Like literally a magic 8 ball feel to me in what will happen. Doesn't bother me either way
Right, not an argument, just the thoughts on why. They could be right, could be wrong. Either way, they're my thoughts, in my head. I think, mostly sure, might need more coffee to to be positive. :cool:

Plus, I disagree with @DisneyCane about like 75% of stuff, so when we agree it's novel. 😄
I don't think your reasons are bad either. I really just don't know what to think now.

TrainsOfDisney

Last summer the CDC was saying if you have the vaccine you have nothing to worry about. That didn’t last long.

Just seems awkward to me to hang out in a hotel room with people outside my immediate family.

I do it all the time. I travel for work and sometimes have a roommate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom