Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maui2k7

Conversely,

I haven't been wearing a mask consistently from the start, my wife in n RN, I have been working on a construction site with 1800 contractors, flown to WDW/Cancun 2x/Denver and neither of us have contracted Covid, thus I can conclude masks do not need to be worn consistently.
I echo these comments. My wife is also an RN who also works with COVID patients. Neither her nor I have gotten COVID and do not wear masks unless required (in TX that is not many places).

hopemax

There was never a mandate for people to use that method of protection from HIV. Imagine the uproar if people could have been fined or arrested for not doing so. That was a disease that, for quite some time, was a death sentence if you got infected and the prevention method was 90 something percent effective.

It seems that in recent times people choose to not use that extremely effective prevention method and instead rely on treatments after the fact if they get infected or taking PREP drugs.
The difference between modes of transmission of the two infectious diseases is important here.

But my point was not about mandates, but the *circumstances* in which people would or wouldn't adopt personal protection. You seem to agree with me that the risk was high "certain death if infected" and the effectiveness at avoiding it, was also high and there is a historical record of the necessity and extent of the public health campaign. So I don't get the point of your post other than side-stepping my point. If people will not use personal protection, even in that kind of risk/reward situation they were unlikely to do so in a more uncertain situation, nor by adding more uncertainty (the kind of language people think would have helped).

Future humans will be in another one of these situations in the future, with the options for transmission and effect on a scale from ignorable to catastrophic. An awful lot of energy is being expended to make this all end, that it will ensure that the next time the toolbox will be empty. It took a year to get to the first vaccine in an arm; closer to 15 months for regular people. All NPIs on a community instead of personal level, have apparently been rejected. We're back to anticipating what personal adoption would be, which is why the low adoption in a documented catastrophic risk/high reward situation matters. Whenever the future one that is worse shows up, it shouldn't take much to predict what will happen or more importantly won't, while we are waiting. Enough doubt and objections to vaccination have been sowed and cultivated, that despite the success, I would expect adoption to be even less by those who don't consider themselves at high-risk. Maybe by then, our systems will have been built to scale up to better handle waves of mass death and disability above average.

hopemax

Study time from my Twitter feed, both of these are preliminaries from studying deceased individuals, continuing research for more definitive conclusions ongoing.

Male reproductive health... damage and potential virus sanctuary.

Similarities of molecular changes in the brain of people who experienced brain fog after Covid infection to Alzheimer's patients. Linking to Tweet thread for an explainer.

DisneyDebRob

No matter what side of the aisle you are on, this is a very good article on parents dealing with the pandemic and seeing both sides of how they feel. I know whatever we think is best, it’s always good to try and understand the point of others and this I think does just that. Worth a few minutes of your time IMO

Timmay

How many out there have been fit-tested for your N-95? There is a reason healthcare facilities require a fit-testing, and prohibit the use of the mask if having failed the test.

mmascari

How many out there have been fit-tested for your N-95? There is a reason healthcare facilities require a fit-testing, and prohibit the use of the mask if having failed the test.
The exposure risk level in most healthcare facilities is higher than what most people are facing.

None of the masks I see people wearing, or that I wear, would meet that level. It's easy to tell, if there's ear loops instead of around the head, it's not fitting to that standard.

That doesn't mean someone wearing an N95 or KN95 or KF94 or surgical style mask is getting no protection. They're not getting that same level of fit tested N95 protection, but they're also not doing stuff with the same risk profile.

It's not a binary protection/no protection. It's a reduction amount.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
OSHA rules are strict for workplace safety reasons. It’s not like a slightly imperfectly fitted N95 is worthless for laypeople, especially when compared to a gappy surgical mask.
Speaking of surgical masks, I went to see my doctor today. Everyone in the waiting room was wearing surgical masks. And each one had YUUUGGGEE gaps in the sides of them. I swear my cloth mask had to have been better, lol. Yeah...not the best...

Timmay

OSHA rules are strict for workplace safety reasons. It’s not like a slightly imperfectly fitted N95 is worthless for laypeople, especially when compared to a gappy surgical mask.
I missed where I said any of that.
Regardless, the 14 or so different healthcare facilities that I have been in the last couple of months are all limiting the time of use of those fit-tested for N-95’s, even though there are plenty of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom