Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Incomudro

You would not be welcomed in Japan. It is common courtesy to wear a mask if you are sick, locals and tourists . Been there, done that. Also so if your grandparents were with family members that are sick, sneezing and coughing in their direction without a mask?
Japan is a much more courteous country all around.
They have a culture not only of respect, but self respect.
Check out their obesity rate vs ours.
Being massively out of shape, and strapping a mask over one's maw hardly makes the average American anything close to echoing the average Japanese person.
I don't have parents anymore, let alone granparents.
If I did, I wouldn't visit them if I were sick with something that could possibly kill them.
If I were concerned I may be asymptomatic, then I would wear an N95, and instruct them to wear one as well.

lazyboy97o

Today in the U.K. is National Holocaust Memorial Day. Just saying this to put the hatred and abuse being shown by mask haters and mask advocates and vaccination fans against anti vaccination believers in some sort of perspective.
Extreme attitudes, on either side, do nothing to help a situation- indeed they may cause harm by removing the opportunity for rational and reasonable discussion and understanding of others viewpoints.
I am not Jewish, but the atrocities suffered by them, amongst many other minorities, is too much to fully comprehend.
Let us hope that the world can work together to control, if not defeat the virus.
The “extreme” position of advocating for vaccination has ended suffering and saved millions of lives. To try and compare that to genocide is disgusting.

BuddyThomas

Riddle me this:

Does anyone know why arguing, outright political chat, and the blatant posting of misinformation that would get someone thrown off Facebook or Twitter is running rampant over on the Disneyland COVID thread, seemingly without consequence? Meanwhile, over here in our neck of the woods, we get stern warnings against this type of thing on a moment by moment basis.

If you don’t believe me, go take a look at the Disneyland COVID thread. I suggest having a drink or ten first to calm your nerves. If any of us posted any of the garbage that is circulating on that thread, we would get instantly tossed in Disney Jail, or worse.

I seriously do not get it at all. I’m a simple guy. All I ask is a little consistency.

correcaminos

Today in the U.K. is National Holocaust Memorial Day. Just saying this to put the hatred and abuse being shown by mask haters and mask advocates and vaccination fans against anti vaccination believers in some sort of perspective.
Extreme attitudes, on either side, do nothing to help a situation- indeed they may cause harm by removing the opportunity for rational and reasonable discussion and understanding of others viewpoints.
I am not Jewish, but the atrocities suffered by them, amongst many other minorities, is too much to fully comprehend.
Let us hope that the world can work together to control, if not defeat the virus.
Some well known person in the US actually did just compare wanting to push for vaccines to the Holocaust. His wife quickly stated that what he said was wrong and his opinions do not reflect their own. I live in a household where people are descendent of enslaved people, of people who were killed in genocidal acts of more than one globally (though the Holocaust is among the worst of that).

Your comment based on the timing and such just feels in poor taste. While you cannot fully comprehend, some people can understand what marginalized go through. To equate anything covid related to that unless it is to talk about disparities in health care for the marginalized, just doesn't compute in my brain.

Pushing nicely for vaccines or even being for mandates is nothing, and I mean nothing, like mass genocide. Nothing at all. It's not even close to what marginalized live with either. Honestly I wish extreme platforms would be hushed entirely. Working together with compassion and help will go further than some of this arguing.

We do need to come together, yes. And some comments today really turned me off. However, I might think twice next time you post something like this on National Holocaust day. It reeks of what anti-maskers and anti-vaxers in the extreme talk about.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
According to Jewish law, I am Jewish

So I'll put this as polite as possible.

The situations aren't comparable. Politely, POLITELY: Shut up.

Flugell

Whilst I appreciate the calm response, I am appalled that you would find anything offensive or in poor taste in my post as nothing was further from my intention. National Holocaust day is of great significance to me and I was trying to illustrate the ridiculous situation of people arguing over vaccinations intended to improve and prolong life. I am so pro vaccination and masks, as you would understand from every post I have ever made, that to be lumped with the opposite viewpoint is stomach turning.
When I stated that I could not fully comprehend it was not a statement of ignorance, it was meant to indicate that mans inhumanity to man was too dreadful to understand.
As I said I am not Jewish but my best friend was and her parents survived Auschwitz. Their numbers were the first “tattoos” I ever saw. She asked if she could share my grandparents and uncle and aunts as she had no family of her own, so we shared.
I understand that if you have experienced marginalisation, genocide and are descended from the evil of slavery then I can only imagine the way that shapes the way you view the world. That doesn’t mean that I don’t care. That does mean that I do care.

Flugell

I know they’re not comparable, that’s the point I was trying rather clumsily it would seem, to make. Politely read the post carefully.

Would you prefer that Holocaust Memorial Day was ignored?

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
Winston Churchill

Vegas Disney Fan

I didn’t see any comparison in their post, all I saw was a request to be civil towards each other because hostility begets hostility and as that animosity grows so does the chance of people doing horrible things to each other.

I took the mention of Holocaust memorial day solely as used for perspective of the horrible atrocities that can happen when people stop viewing each other as worthy of respect and civility.

BrianLo

Riddle me this:

Does anyone know why arguing, outright political chat, and the blatant posting of misinformation that would get someone thrown off Facebook or Twitter is running rampant over on the Disneyland COVID thread, seemingly without consequence? Meanwhile, over here in our neck of the woods, we get stern warnings against this type of thing on a moment by moment basis.

If you don’t believe me, go take a look at the Disneyland COVID thread. I suggest having a drink or ten first to calm your nerves. If any of us posted any of the garbage that is circulating on that thread, we would get instantly tossed in Disney Jail, or worse.

I seriously do not get it at all. I’m a simple guy. All I ask is a little consistency.

It's a funny message board in some ways in that there are sub-communities. I've *rarely* wandered into a sub-forum here and realized I don't recognize half the posters. There are many I have never clicked on. I'm sure the mods are the same way. Fortunately and unfortunately the DL thread is one of those communities and it became unregulated increasingly during the Pandemic.

It was worth my mental sanity to leave it alone, I can only imagine what's going on now.

James J

In the Parks
No
I know they’re not comparable, that’s the point I was trying rather clumsily it would seem, to make. Politely read the post carefully.

Would you prefer that Holocaust Memorial Day was ignored?

“Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.”
Winston Churchill

That's not what @mkt is saying at all.

I know what you were trying to get across, but anytime the Holocaust is used as an example for something you've got to be spot on with the way you word it.

Lilofan

That's not what @mkt is saying at all.

I know what you were trying to get across, but anytime the Holocaust is used as an example for something you've got to be spot on with the way you word it.
I think the only safe way to refer to those dark days is when referring to the memorial. Talk other than that in the workplace and one could be unexpectedly paying a visit to the HR office and may need some " sensitivity training ".

drizgirl

This is the only thing that makes sense. We need across the board n95 mask mandates.

Follow the science right?

Remember regardless of anything else, it’s most important to slow the spread.
I think that’s what many would like to see but haven’t figured out how to get there yet.

correcaminos

Whilst I appreciate the calm response, I am appalled that you would find anything offensive or in poor taste in my post as nothing was further from my intention. National Holocaust day is of great significance to me and I was trying to illustrate the ridiculous situation of people arguing over vaccinations intended to improve and prolong life. I am so pro vaccination and masks, as you would understand from every post I have ever made, that to be lumped with the opposite viewpoint is stomach turning.
When I stated that I could not fully comprehend it was not a statement of ignorance, it was meant to indicate that mans inhumanity to man was too dreadful to understand.
As I said I am not Jewish but my best friend was and her parents survived Auschwitz. Their numbers were the first “tattoos” I ever saw. She asked if she could share my grandparents and uncle and aunts as she had no family of her own, so we shared.
I understand that if you have experienced marginalisation, genocide and are descended from the evil of slavery then I can only imagine the way that shapes the way you view the world. That doesn’t mean that I don’t care. That does mean that I do care.
My point is you should never put these two thoughts together. Never. I get your friend showed you some of the negatives of it, but it still isn't your story or your family. You seem to not grasp why this is in poor taste. Don't sink to the gross levels of Kennedy, and don't use that as a connection again. The situation with covid and all the varying opinions with it do not belong together. Those who are using it here are using it in disgusting ways.

Not saying you were like them, but letting you know why your post was in poor taste. Your friend may have shown you, but I don't think you fully grasped or you wouldn't put them together. Digging your heels in deeper isn't helping either. I get what you think your point was, but it is still hurtful. I lost the Jewish religion due to how it works and I may be Catholic, but I speak up when hurtful and offensive ideas are said. So in short, yes, you should've left it out entirely and never should have defended your post when others called you out.

correcaminos

I think that’s what many would like to see but haven’t figured out how to get there yet.
Last time: there are no n95 masks for children or tweens or even small faced teens and adults. Until we have that we cannot mandate a things. Also procedural masks do help so why people push is not helpful. Nor is acting like any mask outside of n95s are useless. They are not.

correcaminos

Riddle me this:

I just read over there. And yeah very bad. I had to stop reading. The mask thread in this forum is bad too again, though no where near like what's in the DL thread. Honestly I'm tired of that kind of hate. I'm tired of people being allowed to be rude and tired of seeing these manipulative lies being spread. That is why we cannot have nice things - and speaking more globally certain things are not kept in check.

drizgirl

Last time: there are no n95 masks for children or tweens or even small faced teens and adults. Until we have that we cannot mandate a things. Also procedural masks do help so why people push is not helpful. Nor is acting like any mask outside of n95s are useless. They are not.
I’m aware. That’s likely one of the hurdles preventing it from happening.

drizgirl

Riddle me this:

The remedy is not to tattle on them here. The remedy is to report the posts you see as problematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom