Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizgirl

I gotcha and we're there too though we are fortunate enough that the OTC was enough to be okay. Skin isn't clear by any stretch but it's livable. My kid is 14 though so not rushing to do prescription. It's been a struggle though.
Daughter never needed a Derm until last year as a sophomore in college. She's a junior now. Doing much better but not clear by any means. And as I said, no other remedy remaining besides moving to Accutane.

Once again, just so OVER the comments about masks being "no big deal".

correcaminos

Daughter never needed a Derm until last year as a sophomore in college. She's a junior now. Doing much better but not clear by any means. And as I said, no other remedy remaining besides moving to Accutane.

Once again, just so OVER the comments about masks being "no big deal".
I think there is a middle road. You said masks are an annoyance but to me that's not a "big deal" either. Big deals to me are when you cannot tolerate at all. Acne sucks for sure and it is a struggle even for me at times. So I get it stinks but st the same time I'm tired of people acting like they cannot tolerate them at all - when that population is small. I hate them as a whole (outside of my Athleta cloth in the winter for warmth) but don't go complaining about them either as much. Reality is in the middle. They do suck, but for the vast majority are livable.
Unless I’m mistaken, there are no child-sized N95s anyway. You would have to look into child-sized KN95s, of which there are quite a few options, though it’s important with any KN95 (regardless of size) to check that it’s been independently tested for performance (some brands don’t offer the >95% filtration they’re supposed to).
There are no N95s for kids that I have seen. The KN95s are questionable often too. Which is why even the CDC doesn't suggest necessarily for kids as the fit and tests are lacking. Since I am like the size of a 10 year old, I just give up on any type of x95 masks. I do tuck and tie as needed. For those who say x95 or nothing, I'm legit screwed then. Adult sizes don't fit and the ones for kids that you see are often poor quality/fakes. Since we have mandates, I do what I can that fits.

mmascari

No, not low. On par with the rest of the state.

The problem is that one automatically assumes you must have low spread in order to make this work. That just isn't the case. Especially today with the current variant. As an another example, there are many other countries who made it through significant spread multiple times and never masked children in schools.
So, you just don't know then.

School is acting like there's nothing going on. And they're not looking for anything. And they've got normal levels of kids and staff in or out on any given day.

But, community spread is on par with the rest of the state. Which is likely high, since the entire country looks high.

Meaning, either the school is a vector helping keep spread going with sick people coming to school, or there's some magic field around the school keeping the virus out.

If it's the magic field, I'm even more jealous then.

Incomudro

mLogic and reason has been replaced with misinformation and hysteria with the anti maskers and anti vaxxers. Both groups are a stubborn bunch and have their supporters.
Logic, reason - and most of all - genuine evidence of effectiveness were never a part of the institution of cloth mask wearing.
It was faith based.
Now, the evidence of their level of effect is really crumbling as N95's are recommended instead of cloth masks.
What is on to do when they invested two years worshiping at the Church of the Cloth Mask?

Incomudro

As much as I was before the pandemic, yes. I am vaccinated and cloth mask isn't going to up that protection. Also, my personal (and family) risk assessment is low where I do not feel the need to wear an N95.
You don't need a mask against an illness that is little more than a mild cold.
Even less than that for many people.
For those people that are high risk, well - they should wear an N95, just as they should have been wearing one all along.
For the rest of us, just stop.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think you want to hold on to something that may have provided help at one point, but no longer provides that benefit. I think you are avoiding the latest science around them. I think you are avoiding the negative consequences around wearing them in certain environments. I think you are putting too much emphasis on them when the benefits have waned significantly. I think you are overestimating the risk around not wearing one under this current variant.

I am tired of people holding onto outdated thoughts and evidence from 2020 and previous variants when we have new tools today to protect ourselves. I am tired of people forcing others to wear them when the benefit is now gone. People can choose to wear the N95 if they want. Let the rest of us move on. A cloth mask on me provides no benefit to others at this point...
I don't believe there is any science to back that up. Yes, cloth masks do little to protect the wearer from Omicron, but all types of masks function better when an infected person wears them to reduce the amount of transmission. I don't know if there is any data specifically looking at Omicron infected people wearing cloth masks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Seems silly. If one person chooses to wear one, what benefit is it to them if someone decides not to? The person wearing one is already protected.

Not sure what this has to do with my post, but no mask is 100% protection, so you get more protection when you and everyone near you is wearing one.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
So, you just don't know then.

School is acting like there's nothing going on. And they're not looking for anything. And they've got normal levels of kids and staff in or out on any given day.

But, community spread is on par with the rest of the state. Which is likely high, since the entire country looks high.

Meaning, either the school is a vector helping keep spread going with sick people coming to school, or there's some magic field around the school keeping the virus out.

If it's the magic field, I'm even more jealous then.
Spread is/was everywhere. The state went up and down just like the rest of the country. And yet, the district kept attendance high and didn't have to do the measures that other schools did, while cases went up and down everywhere anyways. The school district wasn't any sort of crazy outlier that caused a high degree spread compared to the rest of the state...or country. So, for the district, it absolutely worked as intended. They remained open. They had high attendance. Kids stayed in school; that was the goal! Omicron came and peaked..... Maybe other districts should look outside of what they have been doing...and turn to things that have worked to keep kids in school. Try to do something different for once...

Lilofan

You don't need a mask against an illness that is little more than a mild cold.
Even less than that for many people.
For those people that are high risk, well - they should wear an N95, just as they should have been wearing one all along.
For the rest of us, just stop.
You would not be welcomed in Japan. It is common courtesy to wear a mask if you are sick, locals and tourists . Been there, done that. Also so if your grandparents were with family members that are sick, sneezing and coughing in their direction without a mask?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
" Not looking at the bigger picture" is a sly way of saying one that does not agree.
I know you are unwilling to understand nuance or context, but I will try anyways.

When someone says "any mask is better than no mask" they are completely ignoring the negative consequences that can result with masking or mask mandates. For example, in schools, there are several negative consequences as a result of mask mandates and masking that have been written about. So using this example, should a child still be forced to wear a mask, typically one that is ineffective against the current variant, even though there are these ongoing negative outcomes? I would say, no, the negatives in this case outweigh any positive benefit (which is quite negligible under this current variant). So...when someone says "any mask is better than no mask"..no, I just cannot agree. There are going to be instances where no mask is actually better.

G00fyDad

All I see is.....
Blah Blah Blah Whatever GIF by Minions

So just....
Get The Shot Community GIF by Kev Lavery

and...
African American Black Boy Joy GIF by BET Awards

If you disagree with me then don't bother replying because I likely already have you....
Social Media GIF by The Lovebirds Movie

Polkadotdress

I think you want to hold on to something that may have provided help at one point, but no longer provides that benefit. I think you are avoiding the latest science around them. I think you are avoiding the negative consequences around wearing them in certain environments. I think you are putting too much emphasis on them when the benefits have waned significantly. I think you are overestimating the risk around not wearing one under this current variant.

I am tired of people holding onto outdated thoughts and evidence from 2020 and previous variants when we have new tools today to protect ourselves. I am tired of people forcing others to wear them when the benefit is now gone. People can choose to wear the N95 if they want. Let the rest of us move on. A cloth mask on me provides no benefit to others at this point...
This. All of this...makes me sooooooo tired. And frustrated.

I get that *you* are fine, but there are so many that can't truly defend themselves against this. And as long as we continue to let the virus ebb and flow (and to be clear, there will be other spikes), people like me will need to continue to be hyper cautious, wearing an N95 everywhere. Which is not only uncomfortable, but also socially ostracizing. I have also been subjected to "coaching" by freedom-loving anti-maskers, who love to call me a "sheep", or stupid, while spouting that Covid is a hoax. This has occurred both at work and out in public, and it's not fun. However my own personal health situation, which puts me squarely in the immuno-suppressed high-risk category, leaves me no choice.

So, yeah. I am disappointed that our society can't pull together and all work together to defeat this once and for all.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
This. All of this...makes me sooooooo tired. And frustrated.

I get that *you* are fine, but there are so many that can't truly defend themselves against this. And as long as we continue to let the virus ebb and flow (and to be clear, there will be other spikes), people like me will need to continue to be hyper cautious, wearing an N95 everywhere. Which is not only uncomfortable, but also socially ostracizing. I have also been subjected to "coaching" by freedom-loving anti-maskers, who love to call me a "sheep", or stupid, while spouting that Covid is a hoax. This has occurred both at work and out in public, and it's not fun. However my own personal health situation, which puts me squarely in the immuno-suppressed high-risk category, leaves me no choice.

So, yeah. I am disppaointed that our society can't pull together and all work together to defeat this once and for all.
I did my part by getting vaccinated and boosted. I did it to protect myself, family, and so we can move on as a society. I even supported states mandating the vaccine (even though none did). Ultimately, it is not my responsibility to protect everyone from every little chance of being exposed. Especially by asking me (or others) to use a tool that doesn't provide you protection on top of what I have already done. Not possible to operate society in such a manner.

Polkadotdress

I did my part by getting vaccinated and boosted. I did it to protect myself, family, and so we can move on as a society. I even supported states mandating the vaccine (even though none did). Ultimately, it is not my responsibility to protect everyone from every little chance of being exposed. Especially by asking me to use a tool that doesn't provide you protection on top of what I have already done. Not possible to operate society in such a manner.
But, if we take strides to continue to stop the exposure, then perhaps we can truly snuff it out. People saying "I'm done" is only making it linger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom