Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

The lack of appointment availability may have to do with staff shortages at pharmacies or vaccine centers, too.
I find that hard to believe in the entire Columbus area we went from appointments available in many different pharmacies to none in 12 hours. I get there are issues at times, but this was universally impossible for me to help fiends find appointments.

correcaminos

Anyone else see this?

Nearly an entire plane full of passengers is found to have Covid. Kind of shoots that whole "planes are safe due to recirculated air" thing right out of the sky.
Not sure how that proves anything. You don't just pick it up minutes from flying and test positive immediately. They hadnto be infected prior.

correcaminos

Heelz2315

An interesting aside. I booked my 14yo for a booster. I looked today and it seems that there aren't bookings available for over a week at a lot of places. I wonder if people locally want the teens boosted to help or what.

My gut says they'll want a longer time of low cases in order to do so. I have a March and June trip and as much as it annoys me at times, we'll prepare for both. And yes, it annoys me having to put a mask on my face after the pool - so don't judge me on that. We lost masks to falling in water at the pool and it was annoying. I mask everywhere else locally.

I'm hopeful that by June we don't have to wear them any longer at WDW, but who knows.

Lilofan

Well one Disney park is closing again due to COVID. Don’t think it will ever happen again in the states but still interesting.

I could never go with the mindset of never happening again. There is now a new chief in charge since Iger left last week to enjoy his retirement.

sullyinMT

Any advice on booster? I am booked for Sunday. Should I stick with Pfizer or get a Moderna? The choice!! 😱
Like the response above mine, I stuck with Pfizer/BNT, and it stuck it to me a little more than the first two. Fever and fatigue resolved within 24-30hrs, but were definitely more pronounced (Caucasian male, 40, BMI ~28 and otherwise healthy). My father had similar complaints.

My wife (similar age and health profile) had all 3 doses Moderna (booster dose, not full #3). She had a more pronounced dose two and no side effects from her booster. My mother is a walking comorbidity and had pronounced side effects from her Moderna booster, but was a trooper recognizing that a day of discomfort was better for her than the potential misery of COVID.

Side note - my 13yo will be boosted on Saturday afternoon.

Disney Analyst

Like the response above mine, I stuck with Pfizer/BNT, and it stuck it to me a little more than the first two. Fever and fatigue resolved within 24-30hrs, but were definitely more pronounced (Caucasian male, 40, BMI ~28 and otherwise healthy). My father had similar complaints.

My wife (similar age and health profile) had all 3 doses Moderna (booster dose, not full #3). She had a more pronounced dose two and no side effects from her booster. My mother is a walking comorbidity and had pronounced side effects from her Moderna booster, but was a trooper recognizing that a day of discomfort was better for her than the potential misery of COVID.

Side note - my 13yo will be boosted on Saturday afternoon.

Amazing for your 13yo! We are just starting general population here now in BC, so it’s finally my turn. 😅

correcaminos

Any advice on booster? I am booked for Sunday. Should I stick with Pfizer or get a Moderna? The choice!! 😱
I have no choice on mine. Pfizer all 3. 1st and 3rd were pretty identical. None were really bad. My spouse's doctor gives like for like and so all 3 were Moderna. He had zero issues with any - mild arm pain with them. I'll let you know how my 14yo does after tomorrow with dose 3 Pfizer. I posted somewhere but majority in studies has less for 3rd than 2nd. Those who mix and match risk more on 3rd shot. Might have been the mask thread if not here.

Edit: Here's the article https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...f-the-booster-knocks-me-out-what-if-it-doesnt
"Indeed, side effects of the boosters are mimicking those of the initial doses...

People who mix and match brands, however, may be more likely to be down for the count."

I'm hopeful that by June we don't have to wear them any longer at WDW, but who knows.
I am too but no breath holding here lol

Last edited:

correcaminos

Amazing for your 13yo! We are just starting general population here now in BC, so it’s finally my turn. 😅
They just approved boosters for 12-15 here yesterday. I scheduled my kid tomorrow since he had brain fog with #2 and he has some quizzes this week in school. Wouldn't care if they weren't his HS courses.

hopemax

I've mentioned before that it won't be just in medical studies that we learn the true toll of all of this. It will be in the insurance actuarial reports. OneAmerica CEO talked about what the life insurance business has seen. He gives a stat for WORKING age people, so not the old folks, but 18-64 change in death, and then shares how they classify other events. I'll reverse them.

A once in a 200-year catastrophe is an event that results in a 10% increase in the number of deaths in the 18-64 age group.

They have seen a 40% increase in this group in both the 3rd and 4th quarter. This is being seen industry-wide, not just their claims.

He then also mentioned that the claims aren't coming in as "COVID-19" deaths, indicating that there is a huge undercount of pandemic deaths within the working age demographic. They're seeing death events occurring in the weeks following a COVID-19 infection, other disease events triggered by the infection despite seemingly "recovered." Presumably, the vascular events we know about heart attacks, strokes, etc.

Of course the anti-vaxxers have jumped all over this... as proof that vaccines cause death and everyone is dying from myocarditis.

He also mentions increases in both short and long term disability claims. And later in the video, that yes, they are starting to charge low vax counties more.

The whole meeting with the Indiana Chamber of Commerce is here. The video is synced up to the intro of the CEO and initial comments. The comment about the non-COVID classified deaths is at the 35 minute mark.

In addition, there is a lot of talk from other parties about the impact on mandates on their workforce.

Of course, that sent me wondering if in all these reports of Omicron being milder due to less lung involvement, is there corresponding data indicating less vascular involvement? I suspect if these reported deaths are weeks after recovery, it's simply too soon to know if vascular events are less likely with Omicron. There is a low rumble of anecdotal reports that they are still seeing them, but that could still be lingering Delta.

ArmoredRodent

Is funny how we have not heard about the classification of "super spreader event", either predictive or post event, in many months.
Maybe I have missed it.
Not sure why you are saying that, unless you mean the specific phrase "super spreader event"? After all, in Post #95,806, less than a week ago, I said:
In my tiny, isolated, home county, which has one of the highest vax and booster percentages in the country, our pandemic total case number just jumped by 10% in less than a week. All because of one big Christmas event. I learned a new phrase: "tertiary contacts (people infected by people who were infected by people who were at the original event)."
And yesterday, the same county reported a 13.3333% jump in total pandemic cases, again traceable to the original pre-Christmas event. So that's about 24% in two weeks from one Christmas celebration. I would think that might be included as a "super-spreader event." And @Heppenheimer noted this, without using the required phrase:
One dunderhead playing broomball while sick was basically all it took for delta to start spreading through Vermont. Prior.to that, the state just had isolated cases.
Maybe people have stopped using the phrase because, while originally it had some communicative value, now it seems very well-understood and recognized. Or more likely, with the vastly increased community spread rates, EVERYTHING can be a spreader event. You really can't tell until you start counting tertiary, quaternary, quinary, senary, septenary, octonary, nonary, and denary infections. And nobody does that any more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
On a positive note the ER in the building where I have PT appears to be not over run.
0F74E9D0-7486-446C-8DED-3BAFBBD1C93D.jpeg
B105FF48-C6E3-4D4E-B258-BC1B7DCB3721.jpeg
F908C31B-B87E-4BB1-A93D-FD3C60455EB0.jpeg

LittleBuford

Anyone else see this?

Nearly an entire plane full of passengers is found to have Covid. Kind of shoots that whole "planes are safe due to recirculated air" thing right out of the sky.
They were tested and found to be positive when they landed, which means they must have had COVID before boarding the plane. A test cannot detect an infection immediately after exposure; it takes a couple of days at least.

ETA: Oops, @helenabear beat me to it!

LittleBuford

So they had 100 positive on a plane? How are the other 79 and crew doing?
I have no idea! I wasn’t disputing the point that one can catch COVID on a plane, merely pointing out that the story under discussion doesn’t really tell us anything about the effectiveness of the on-board air circulation. I’d be curious to know how many of the remaining passengers and crew test positive in the days ahead. That would be more telling.

mf1972

I went Pfizer for all 3. I felt the 3rd one more than the first two, but it wasn't too bad. A bit fever-ish and run down for a few hours the following evening.
3rd pfizer hit me a bit too. cant say if this was a reaction, but i had some itchy hives on my ankle 6-8 hours after the shot. benadryl helped a lot. during the night i woke up slightly feverish, body aches & chills. by morning i was dragging. felt better as the day went on.
my wife had moderna. like most people, the 2nd shot packed a punch, but she said the 3rd was more of packing a punch & getting run over by a car. felt 100% better the following day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom