Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

Everything you've said is true. But not everyone is going to be vaccinated. That continues to be my point. It's not going to happen. Wish for it all you want. Where we are at with vaccinations in the United States is about where we are going to be. In fact, I think we'll slip a little as I don't think the rate of people getting boosters is going to match the first round. I'm not arguing that it *should* be that way. I'm just telling you that I believe with 100% certainty that it is going to be that way whether we like it or not. And that's why I keep saying it's time to just rip the Band-Aid off and move on. Because I honestly do not believe we have any other choice.

This is how I feel also but I think vaccination rates will continue to climb. We just approved kids 5-12, another 12% of the population, and under 5 will be next which means another 8%. Even if their vax rates follow adult rates (60% on average) that’ll get most states near the 75% range. There are still also adults who are jumping on board for various reasons also.

We won’t really know whether the vaccines can end this until they are available to everyone. I don’t think we’ll ever get above 85% but I’m still optimistic the vaccines can get the job done even with only 75-80% onboard.

Christina M

I have no issue with counting it as a COVID death. Makes sense to me.

But the way I think about it, if he didn't have these health related issues over the years (becoming severe recently), would his COVID have become severe and killed him? As he was a vaccinated individual, I would say not likely, even for his age. Which is why we should stress for the future, take your vaccines AND try to lead a healthy life (Not saying his health issues were due to an unhealthy lifestyle. Just that we should do a better job as population of doing so to help prevent severe illnesses). We make ourselves too vulnerable and cannot always depend on a medicine saving us.
covid deaths should be singled out, that there were no other health issues and the PERFECTLY healthy person caught it and died. that is a TRUE covid death. sure these people with other illnesses who contracted it were pushed over the edge and died soon but not everyone who tests positive is actually sick.

mmascari

I don’t think we’ll ever get above 85% but I’m still optimistic the vaccines can get the job done even with only 75-80% onboard.
Give it 20 years.

First the vaccine gets fully approved for 5-12.
Then, schools add it to the list of mandatory vaccines.
Then enough years pass that everyone older who held out dies off (of whatever, old age) and everyone younger was vaccinated for kindergarten.

By the 75th anniversary.

Might be 30 years if we're unlucky.

lazyboy97o

Everything you've said is true. But not everyone is going to be vaccinated. That continues to be my point. It's not going to happen. Wish for it all you want. Where we are at with vaccinations in the United States is about where we are going to be. In fact, I think we'll slip a little as I don't think the rate of people getting boosters is going to match the first round. I'm not arguing that it *should* be that way. I'm just telling you that I believe with 100% certainty that it is going to be that way whether we like it or not. And that's why I keep saying it's time to just rip the Band-Aid off and move on. Because I honestly do not believe we have any other choice.
This attitude is exactly why this “is” the way it will be. It’s still just giving up and denying that anything else will happen. You’ve repeatedly been asked how things just go back and don’t answer. You want things to go back to normal but doing nothing isn’t going to fix hospital capacity or supply chain shortages or many of the other things happening. You’re not pointing out reality, because you just assume that things will somehow go back.

Nubs70

Flu and seasonal cold is an additional contributor to the current starin on nurse staffing levels. If you have 1 covid type symptom, you do not go to work. You get a Covid test and wait for results before returning to work. If you come down with a cough, usually 2 days off work waiting on an all clear.

havoc315

Using this assumption, let's say we stop doing every mitigation and everyone goes back to 2019 behaviors. Do we think that number is going to stay steady or go up? Cause, I'm guessing it would push it up.

That's a big part of the current rising cases. For the most part, people are going back to pre-Covid behaviors, or darn close. I'm an attorney in New York -- Courts have had very limited in-person appearances for the last 18 months, everything over zoom. Despite the increasing cases, things are now going back to in-person. I was at a hockey game at Madison Square Garden a few nights ago -- They checked vaccine status to enter, but once inside there was no social distancing, virtually no masks.

The UK is also a great example. They completely dropped mitigation at about the peak of their cases.
Possibly because they dropped mitigation, their cases have stayed persistently high instead of a receding delta wave..

1637791931976.png

I think that kind of means, we're at the new normal now. There's nothing to rip off or move on from. Just adjust, we're there. Masks, distance, mostly take out, whatever of those you're doing or not doing today, that's the new normal.

Yes, some of this will be long-term/permanent. Some as a health precaution -- Masks on crowded mass transit. Some as simply the Pandemic sparked evolution -- More work from home, more tele-commuting. Lots of people won't ever return to their office/cubicle, at least not full time. Not really because of a health precaution, simply because the world has changed. We were already moving away from movie theaters towards home streaming, the pandemic likely sped up that change. Sped up the move away from shopping malls and brick and mortar stores. Changes that were already happening, but were sped up by the pandemic. My son is starting to look at colleges... many have moved away from in-person tours in favor of virtual sessions. Standardized testing has become optional.

The world isn't going back to 2019, just like it's not going back to 1919.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
covid deaths should be singled out, that there were no other health issues and the PERFECTLY healthy person caught it and died. that is a TRUE covid death. sure these people with other illnesses who contracted it were pushed over the edge and died soon but not everyone who tests positive is actually sick.

Perfectly healthy?

Great way to set an impossible goal post. No one's perfectly healthy.

People with other issues exist every day for years and years. And we know the death rate based on all causes of death.

So, when a pandemic comes and we get millions more death than normal, it's because of the pandemic.

If anything, the number deaths from COVID have been undercounted. They are not being overcounted because of comorbidities.

1637795290101.png

Vegas Disney Fan

Perfectly healthy?

Great way to set an impossible goal post. No one's perfectly healthy.

People with other issues exist every day for years and years. And we know the death rate based on all causes of death.

So, when a pandemic comes and we get millions more death than normal, it's because of the pandemic.

If anything, the number deaths from COVID have been undercounted. They are not being overcounted because of comorbidities.

View attachment 602755
This is by far the best way to show Covid deaths.

I’m curious to see if deaths fall off a bit over the next decade since Covid has disproportionately affected the elderly.

disneygeek90

l was at a hockey game at Madison Square Garden a few nights ago -- They checked vaccine status to enter, but once inside there was no social distancing, virtually no masks.

I think it’s worth pointing out this is still a huge hurdle that doesn’t exist in most places around the country and should make people feel more comfortable about dipping their toes back into a normal, crowded area. Here in Florida I have no idea if the person next to me at a bar, theater, theme park or sporting event is vaccinated. While I trust the science of my vaccine, it’s still more reassuring when there is that secondary requirement.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

This is fascinating, watch Africa for where we are (press play)

bubbles1812

What happened to the flu? Did it just disappear? Or could it be that the CDC's numbers for covid are in actuality a lot of flu numbers? Just a thought.
The flu is definitely still around. Everyone was just masked and appropriately social distancing last year. Not so much the case now. For instance, there is an outbreak of 500+ cases of Flu A at my local college campus even while our Covid numbers are beginning to rise… again… and our ED wait times have risen to 6-10 hours. Happy happy joy joy.

At my clinic, everyone gets swabbed for Flu and Covid simultaneously, because they can present similarly. However, that does not mean Covid case numbers are really the Flu’s numbers. There is not a conspiracy here where they are counting Flu numbers as Covid numbers for funsies to make Covid look worse than it is. Covid just really is that bad, much as some of America/the World would like to deny it.

(Of course, you can get really lucky and catch Flu and Covid together, in which case, yay you, you get recorded for both to the state. Winner winner chicken… oh you know the drill).

Disorbust

We had flu in SEPTEMBER ,who knows when it will be back. We also had RSV in the summer, which in 30 years I never heard of.

20-25% of our hospitalized pts are vaccinated. What is their medical history, if they are immunocompromised how long ago they were vaccinated etc, is not included in the dashboard.

DisneyCane

Because the rest of the actual responsible world protected you from it.
The main reason there was no flu last year to speak of is that the flu originates every year in Asia and travels around the world. There was essentially zero travel out of Asia due to COVID so it wasn't able to branch out like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom