Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

aww gee thanks for all the cheers. it really does mean so much to me and helped to calm me down afterward. not to get too gushy but really this experience has taught me so much, not the least of which to put good vibes out there because you never know who you might be able to help.

on the side effect front, just a bit of a sore arm. if i was working today, i wouldnt even notice. thanks again y'all 😊
Good, next one should be more of the same.

Kevin_W

Florida's case rate:
1636485674526.png

vs. Ohio's:
1636485697628.png

We started the delta surge about a month after Florida and peaked about a month later. But we haven't seen the same kind of declines, sadly. I wonder if that's due to weather? Our lower vaccination rate? The fact that the peak was <1/3 as high per capita? Who knows, but it's frustrating. We saw how quickly ebbed in India and hoped that this would be bad, but at least quick. Now it sure looks like it will linger throughout the holidays.

dreday3

Are you guys getting boosters if you aren't in one of the recommended categories?

We are both 48, healthy (as far we know! fingers crossed) and our jobs aren't considered high risk.
My second dose was in Feb, he was in April. I have Moderna, he has Pfizer.

What to do?

Kevin_W

Are you guys getting boosters if you aren't in one of the recommended categories?

We are both 48, healthy (as far we know! fingers crossed) and our jobs aren't considered high risk.

What to do?

1636486694923.png

That was from today - and I saw data a few weeks ago that said at least 40+ was very likely to be recommended a booster, based on a lot of data from Israel.

My wife and I are your age. she was boostered a couple weeks ago (health-care worker). I actually have an appointment later this week (I technically quality with a BMI >25. I lift weights, so that # is easy to achieve.) I did enough reading of the data on boosters and it seems a good idea, particularly with holidays coming up with un-vaccinated family.

Wendy Pleakley

What to do?

There's no downside that I'm aware of, so no hesitation in getting one.

Effectiveness seems to be waning over time a bit, so is just makes sense. Extra protection for oneself and helps reduce community transmission.

I'd also note that countries who delayed second doses beyond two weeks saw positive results. Getting a booster means you're more closely replicating what turned out to be beneficial.

DCBaker

Premium Member
View attachment 599615

That was from today - and I saw data a few weeks ago that said at least 40+ was very likely to be recommended a booster, based on a lot of data from Israel.

My wife and I are your age. she was boostered a couple weeks ago (health-care worker). I actually have an appointment later this week (I technically quality with a BMI >25. I lift weights, so that # is easy to achieve.) I did enough reading of the data on boosters and it seems a good idea, particularly with holidays coming up with un-vaccinated family.

Pfizer has officially submitted that request -

ToTBellHop

What to do?
Can’t speak for me—high risk job.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

What to do?
This is not recommended right now according to the CDC and FDA from what I understand.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It's all the same product, the difference is why you are given it. A third shot is when it is given because you did not have a good immune response from the first two, a booster is when it is given to boost waning immunity.
Got it. When I read "booster dose" it made me think there is a specific/different dose type for a booster.

Disstevefan1

Florida's case rate:View attachment 599608

vs. Ohio's: View attachment 599609

We started the delta surge about a month after Florida and peaked about a month later. But we haven't seen the same kind of declines, sadly. I wonder if that's due to weather? Our lower vaccination rate? The fact that the peak was <1/3 as high per capita? Who knows, but it's frustrating. We saw how quickly ebbed in India and hoped that this would be bad, but at least quick. Now it sure looks like it will linger throughout the holidays.
To me, it’s the COVID deaths and hospitalizations that is the only important measure. What is that for Ohio?

mmascari

So an actual booster that is distinct. Not just a third shot.
Unless I missed something in that release, it's a request to expand who is recommended for the current additional dose. It's no different.

So, a "three dose vaccine schedule" and "two dose vaccine schedule then a booster that's the same" is really just a marketing distinction.

The extra dose for immunocompromised people looks like an actual difference, to overcome a poor response to the vaccine. Would end up being four doses for them then.

The booster vs it just being a longer dose schedule over more time (just like other vaccines) appears to be more marketing focused. Especially for J&J. Being the "One dose vaccine" has lots of marketing potential and use cases. Having them all be "doses spread out over months" is much less exciting, from a marketing perspective.

Team J&J though, still one less than the rest of you! ;) (Even if the second wasn't a J&J.)

Vegas Disney Fan

This is not recommended right now according to the CDC and FDA from what I understand.

I had the same thought when I read the article, who’s leading the push for the third shot? The CDC or the companies making it?

I’m approved for the third shot (thanks to my job) but haven’t seen any data yet that says I need it. I’ve done what was recommended since the beginning, or at least tried to with the information changing so quickly, but I still haven’t seen anything that says a healthy 47 year old needs a booster.

Disney Analyst

There's no downside that I'm aware of, so no hesitation in getting one.

Effectiveness seems to be waning over time a bit, so is just makes sense. Extra protection for oneself and helps reduce community transmission.

I'd also note that countries who delayed second doses beyond two weeks saw positive results. Getting a booster means you're more closely replicating what turned out to be beneficial.

Yep. As Canada has show, the situation we faced with supply resulted in delayed second doses, which was actually beneficial and helped us not have as big a Delta wave as many other countries faced, but we still did face a wave.

Adding the 3rd dose this January as BC is planning for all is going to really step up protection for most.

SteveAZee

What to do?
Eat a bunch of Mickey Bars until your BMI gets you into the 'overweight' category?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom