Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreday3

hey all...i've been reading this thread quietly for months, taking it all in. today i got my first dose of moderna. i've been a holdout, not anti-vax but severe health anxiety. finally got up the courage to go. just want to say thanks to those of you who helped to encourage me, even though you didnt know it. 🥳

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

LAM378

I hear your pain....

Yeah, do the right thing, follow the rules, and get punished by it.

Like watching people blow by you on the highway doing 90 in a 65 zone and then you get pulled over doing 70. Been there.
The OP had good intentions but I wouldn’t call telling the school your travel plans doing the right thing. Pandemic or not, it’s none of their business. IMO.

At least you're teaching your kids to be honest. Those other parents are teaching their kids that it's okay to lie in order to get around rules you don't like.

I appreciate both perspectives here. If I had to do it all over again, I’m not sure I’d be as forthcoming, because it bit me big time. It was aggravating seeing kids I know were on vacations entering and leaving the school today.

When the school nurse and principal called me today in response to my furious emails, both of them agreed with my anger and told me how ridiculous and futile this all is. Just like masking and vaccinating, the rules don’t work at all unless everyone follows them, but their hands are tied. The principal lives in town and knows that the kids who live across the street from her went to Universal for the long weekend and didn’t say a word to the district, but there’s not a thing she can do about it.

They both thanked me for trying to do the right thing, and told me I’m teaching my kids a valuable lesson about integrity. But I’ve got an honors student who’s trying to keep up with his work from home with no instruction, who’s going to be playing catch up for weeks, and I’m not sure he appreciates this teachable moment very much right now.

Congratulations and welcome to the club, mind if I ask what pushed you over the edge, or was it simply that enough time had passed to make you feel comfortable the vaccines are safe?

I find it fascinating that nearly a million Americans are still being vaccinated every day, the majority of those are probably younger people with recent access but it’s encouraging that many on the fence are still making the decision also.

I had the Pfizer and aside from some arm pain my only side affect was I was tired for a few days, take it easy and enjoy the lack of stress, I was hesitant to get the shot originally too but was amazed how much less stress I had after I got my second shot. It was a huge relief.
i couldnt tell you honestly, a switch just flipped and i decided i didnt want to be slave to an irrational fear anymore. that and big bird kinda shamed me 😂

Bob Harlem

Another first for Florida, the first Florida hospital that ever treated a covid patient (Doctors Hospital in Sarasota) currently has nobody in it for Covid this week. They aren't the only hospital showing 0 covid either.

Last edited:

correcaminos

hey all...i've been reading this thread quietly for months, taking it all in. today i got my first dose of moderna. i've been a holdout, not anti-vax but severe health anxiety. finally got up the courage to go. just want to say thanks to those of you who helped to encourage me, even though you didnt know it. 🥳
Good for you! I hope you do as well as my husband did with his shots. I totally get anxieties and seriously great job overcoming it all!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I got my COVID-19 booster today and wore a tank-top to avoid irritating my shoulder. My wife told me, “it’s November. Time to cover the guns up,” but I will NOT! This is America and I still have a right to bear these arms!
You're supposed to wear a shirt whose sleeves are too tight to roll up. This ""forces"" you into having to take off your shirt...

hopemax

I got my COVID-19 booster today and wore a tank-top to avoid irritating my shoulder. My wife told me, “it’s November. Time to cover the guns up,” but I will NOT! This is America and I still have a right to bear these arms!
Ha ha. Good for you. We are getting our boosters tomorrow. No one wants to see our arms.

DisneyCane

Another first for Florida, the first Florida hospital that ever treated a covid patient (Doctors Hospital in Sarasota) currently has nobody in it for Covid this week. They aren't the only hospital showing 0 covid either.

Clearly the result of all the mitigation actions taken in Sarasota!

Seriously, it is great to see stories like this. I fully expect there to be other waves in the future but hopefully enough people choose vaccination to keep them out of the hospital in the future waves.

If it wasn't for tourism, I'd expect the next FL wave in the summer of 2022 but the states with the highest case load right now are the ones where people travel from to visit FL in the winter. It is likely that transmission from those people to FL residents will happen to some degree over the winter.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Clearly the result of all the mitigation actions taken in Sarasota!

Seriously, it is great to see stories like this. I fully expect there to be other waves in the future but hopefully enough people choose vaccination to keep them out of the hospital in the future waves.

If it wasn't for tourism, I'd expect the next FL wave in the summer of 2022 but the states with the highest case load right now are the ones where people travel from to visit FL in the winter. It is likely that transmission from those people to FL residents will happen to some degree over the winter.
Is the pandemic will be over by Spring 2022?

And thanks for letting us know! Sometimes it seems like all the talk doesn't matter much, but every once in a while, there's a ray of sunshine to show that it does. And today, you're that ray of sunshine. Thank YOU.
aww gee thanks for all the cheers. it really does mean so much to me and helped to calm me down afterward. not to get too gushy but really this experience has taught me so much, not the least of which to put good vibes out there because you never know who you might be able to help.

on the side effect front, just a bit of a sore arm. if i was working today, i wouldnt even notice. thanks again y'all 😊

Communicora

Premium Member
Congratulations! I'm glad you got the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom