Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

How is it possible for you to ride every bus in your fully vaccinated town to know that every kid is wearing a mask for the entire trip?
What's with this? Seriously I don't follow where you got my city (don't live in a town if one is going to be pedantic) is fully vaccinated. We aren't. We're about 80% for the city who is eligible. I'm talking mandates as well. Since people in my state are not following the federal mandate, I can say with ease when I know those in my area are. It's regional for sure even in my own state.

EpcoTim

What's with this? Seriously I don't follow where you got my city (don't live in a town if one is going to be pedantic) is fully vaccinated. We aren't. We're about 80% for the city who is eligible. I'm talking mandates as well. Since people in my state are not following the federal mandate, I can say with ease when I know those in my area are. It's regional for sure even in my own state.

Oh, so you’re saying the opposite, sorry. I know I’m my little ultra-liberal, highly-vaxxed part of town that the school buses are pretty much no-mask zones as soon as the doors close lol. Same with adults on public transit.

correcaminos

Oh, so you’re saying the opposite, sorry. I know I’m my little ultra-liberal, highly-vaxxed part of town that the school buses are pretty much no-mask zones as soon as the doors close lol. Same with adults on public transit.
I'm saying some areas mandate and some do not. My specific area follows the mandate. Drive an hour and a half and they don't. We're not ultra liberal here, but decently vaccinated. The superintendents are clear on our mandates though and the teachers and coaches and I've even heard from parents complaining, bus drivers are enforcing it as best they can.

Now once the kids step off the bus into the stadiums and for games and such masks are pretty much all off. Even our fall production of Matilda Jr was like 90% unmasked for the shows and we were indoors. For all the rehearsals up to the end we had them masked though and I mean 100% (yes I can say that for the cast - the tech crew has one kid with a medical exemption for masks and he literally was the only unmasked backstage even on tech crew). Only one kid complained but school rules are enforced here pretty decent.

We have some vocal parents on both sides. I personally am sick to death of it all. I wear when asked and don't whine. Just feels like the nice thing to do.

EpcoTim

I'm saying some areas mandate and some do not. My specific area follows the mandate. Drive an hour and a half and they don't. We're not ultra liberal here, but decently vaccinated. The superintendents are clear on our mandates though and the teachers and coaches and I've even heard from parents complaining, bus drivers are enforcing it as best they can.

Now once the kids step off the bus into the stadiums and for games and such masks are pretty much all off. Even our fall production of Matilda Jr was like 90% unmasked for the shows and we were indoors. For all the rehearsals up to the end we had them masked though and I mean 100% (yes I can say that for the cast - the tech crew has one kid with a medical exemption for masks and he literally was the only unmasked backstage even on tech crew). Only one kid complained but school rules are enforced here pretty decent.

We have some vocal parents on both sides. I personally am sick to death of it all. I wear when asked and don't whine. Just feels like the nice thing to do.
Yeah, I get all that, but expecting a bus driver who makes 11 dollars an hour for 4 hours a day to enforce rules on a bunch of ‘Karen’ kids is asinine.

correcaminos

Yeah, I get all that, but expecting a bus driver who makes 11 dollars an hour for 4 hours a day to enforce rules on a bunch of ‘Karen’ kids is asinine.
You're talking about something I am not at all, and to be honest, I am so sick of mask fights that I don't feel like going that. I am talking school district mandates aligning or not with federal rules. Nothing else. Fortunately, our real "Karens" usually don't send their kids to school on the bus anyway and just go yell at the BOE for the lousy rule crying about how their child should have choices ;)

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s easy for our bus drivers since they don’t wear masks either. Anyways, it seems that in certain cases, this particular federal mandate isn’t really enforceable. For disney, yeah, they are gonna have to follow it if their bus system falls under the mandate.

correcaminos

It’s easy for our bus drivers since they don’t wear masks either. Anyways, it seems that in certain cases, this particular federal mandate isn’t really enforceable. For disney, yeah, they are gonna have to follow it if their bus system falls under the mandate.
Curious, do they have a school mandate for masks? I guess I am surprised how many are trying to circumvent the federal mandates. Disney and schools are the same though. One could conceivably be fined for not following, which is why I'm surprised so many don't follow but I guess one would have to report it? If parents don't care no one would.

Call me crazy but I don't get why people fight mandates so much. I hate masks but i do as I'm told. Funny enough, kids do too when parents aren't jerks about it.

As an aside if your bus driver only makes $11 an hour that's pretty crappy too and yeah would not be willing to enforce as much. Ours make double and often have an aid on board to deal with kids.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Curious, do they have a school mandate for masks?
Negative.
One could conceivably be fined for not following, which is why I'm surprised so many don't follow but I guess one would have to report it? If parents don't care no one would.
I imagine some districts follow it and some don’t. My state isn’t going to report it either way.

Call me crazy but I don't get why people fight mandates so much
No one is really fighting it where I live . It’s just a non-issue for everyone. I bet a lot parents aren’t even aware of the federal mandate.

correcaminos

Negative.

I imagine some districts follow it and some don’t. My state isn’t going to report it either way.

No one is really fighting it where I live . It’s just a non-issue for everyone. I bet a lot parents aren’t even aware of the federal mandate.
Thanks for the insight. Really totally just getting a feel for what's out there.

While our schools dropped masks for the summer sessions, the district made sure parents knew of the bussing mandate. We have some pretty Karen-y Karens who, no joke, began to sue the school district. Another set (though some who sued also fell in this group) who protested every day about masks and hybrids. Some heckled kids for wearing masks as they walked out of school. We had to move our Board of Education meetings to the civic center where police are.

Then on the other end are parents who pushed for mandates for masks all the time. When doing our production I got emails and messages about how we NEED to do it. And now! And those were pushed off to school admin ;)

It's very few being jerks but they were loud on both ends. I'm sure some would report it in my district just as some fought against it.

Heppenheimer

Thanks for the insight. Really totally just getting a feel for what's out there.

While our schools dropped masks for the summer sessions, the district made sure parents knew of the bussing mandate. We have some pretty Karen-y Karens who, no joke, began to sue the school district. Another set (though some who sued also fell in this group) who protested every day about masks and hybrids. Some heckled kids for wearing masks as they walked out of school. We had to move our Board of Education meetings to the civic center where police are.

Then on the other end are parents who pushed for mandates for masks all the time. When doing our production I got emails and messages about how we NEED to do it. And now! And those were pushed off to school admin ;)

It's very few being jerks but they were loud on both ends. I'm sure some would report it in my district just as some fought against it.
Absolutely disgusting, trash human beings who would heckle kids. Especially when the kids are being more adult than they are!

DisneyCane

Floridas vaccination rates also skyrocketed due to the Delta wave, Floridas vaccination rate is almost identical to Ca now.
I don't know if I'd use the word "skyrocketed." According to the report from the state, 10,833,521 residents had at least one shot (57% of eligible) as of 6/24. The latest report had 13,865,300 (73% of eligible) as of 10/21. 3 million people in four months isn't exactly light speed and only represents 13.8% of the total population.

I think CA's rate just flattened out because it was higher to begin with. The Delta wave likely pushed people who were procrastinating in FL because the cases were dropping before it started so they didn't really see an urgent need.

From 7/7-10/7 there were 1.2 million documented cases in FL. During the 8/14-8/29 plateau in the data there were likely a lot more cases than documented that weren't caught due to inadequate testing. The evidence of this is the shape of the hospitalization curve vs. the case curve where the hospitalizations kept increasing to a peak and didn't plateau.

Who knows how many cases would have been reported with enough testing but a few hundred thousand more is realistic. Accounting for untested people, it's plausible that around the same number who were vaccinated during the Delta spike were also "vaccinated" through natural infection. Combined, an additional 1/4 of the population was protected during the Delta spike.

Added to the 49% of the population who were vaccinated prior to Delta and whatever percent had recovered from an infection who weren't also vaccinated, at this point well over 80% of the total population of FL has some kind of protection.

At least in the short term (depending on how long natural immunity and vaccine induced immunity last), there isn't a very large pool of people to get moderate or worse COVID in FL at this time. With the exception of a few days right before the Delta spike, daily cases are lower than they've been since mid June of 2020.

They are also at the same level as they were the last time Disney made the decision to remove the indoor mask requirement.

ABQ

I don't know if I'd use the word "skyrocketed." According to the report from the state, 10,833,521 residents had at least one shot (57% of eligible) as of 6/24. The latest report had 13,865,300 (73% of eligible) as of 10/21. 3 million people in four months isn't exactly light speed and only represents 13.8% of the total population.

I think CA's rate just flattened out because it was higher to begin with. The Delta wave likely pushed people who were procrastinating in FL because the cases were dropping before it started so they didn't really see an urgent need.

From 7/7-10/7 there were 1.2 million documented cases in FL. During the 8/14-8/29 plateau in the data there were likely a lot more cases than documented that weren't caught due to inadequate testing. The evidence of this is the shape of the hospitalization curve vs. the case curve where the hospitalizations kept increasing to a peak and didn't plateau.

Who knows how many cases would have been reported with enough testing but a few hundred thousand more is realistic. Accounting for untested people, it's plausible that around the same number who were vaccinated during the Delta spike were also "vaccinated" through natural infection. Combined, an additional 1/4 of the population was protected during the Delta spike.

Added to the 49% of the population who were vaccinated prior to Delta and whatever percent had recovered from an infection who weren't also vaccinated, at this point well over 80% of the total population of FL has some kind of protection.

At least in the short term (depending on how long natural immunity and vaccine induced immunity last), there isn't a very large pool of people to get moderate or worse COVID in FL at this time. With the exception of a few days right before the Delta spike, daily cases are lower than they've been since mid June of 2020.

They are also at the same level as they were the last time Disney made the decision to remove the indoor mask requirement.
a visualization of the cases and vaccinations:

1635428357631.png

Cases certainly do skyrocket, but the vaccinations just maintained the same steady, but very slow upward trend.

correcaminos

Absolutely disgusting, trash human beings who would heckle kids. Especially when the kids are being more adult than they are!
It broke my heart when I found out they did this to the high school kids. They had plans to go to the school where the Board of Education meets and get there early for when school would let out. A bunch of us planned to go and be "human shields " to keep the "protesters" as they called themselves away from the kids. Fortunately our district also got wind and moved the meeting location off school property as I mentioned and made sure it didn't continue with other means.

Again it's a very small but vocal population. They've taken to heckling, booing, etc medical speakers at school board meetings too. Cheer obnoxiously when one of their own would talk. It was disgusting. Especially since some didn't even have kids in the public schools here.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

At least New Jersey and New York will be longer to get the Delta wave go down as keep cases going lower by December / early 2022.
There was alot of cases in NJ / NY now. I bet this Thanksgiving and Christmas would be choice as back to normal or not....
even the cases will have BIG surge as Winter comes, but no one will gonna beat this thing now.:cry:

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes

Dang it, now Winter will get even worse now, we will may see COVID-19 massive surge in coming Winter months as Christmas / New Year's Eve 2022 as possible? COVID-19 is not going anywhere as the surges will come every year as BIGGER problem now.:eek::eek:

electric

Dang it, now Winter will get even worse now, we will may see COVID-19 massive surge in coming Winter months as Christmas / New Year's Eve 2022 as possible? COVID-19 is not going anywhere as the surges will come every year as BIGGER problem now.:eek::eek:
Imagine that............ lol

correcaminos

Interesting. We will see how this plays out...
I've heard similar elsewhere. My question is where will they go for work if they quit? I think these are bull headed threats.

I'm still iffy on mandates. I flip flop on thinking they're good or not but tbh I'd rather my health and fire and police be vaccinated. Wish it weren't such a divide really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom