Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

monykalyn

[
I agree. I just want college in the fall to be on campus for my soon to be freshmen.
Me too. My to be freshman will be at UCF (says she’s going to be a rocket scientist). And she’s excited to be close to Universal and Disney. Hope we are able to move down in August- was planning a few days at the parks if they are open. And my oldest will be starting grad school in Seattle this fall. We are in MO.

ifan

“I’m accurately quoted in The Washington Post” - CDC Director Robert Redfield. "The headline was inappropriate.”

Unfortunately, most people don't read past the headline. One could argue that having a misleading headline is more damaging than an inaccurate quote.

It's quite fascinating to go on google news and click on a particular news event and see 200 drastically different headlines for the same story.

It's also quite common for news organizations to use multiple headlines for A/B testing purposes or change the headline several times over hours/days. But the initial one is what gets disseminated and re-published most widely. The damage has been done, even if it gets changed or corrected later. If you work for most journalism outlets nowadays the quest is for the most clicks, not necessarily for the truth. Editors have become click seekers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I am a doctor. A neonatologist which is a physician that takes care of critically ill infants. You can believe me or not, but I am also an American Ninja Warrior. (Being serious). This was my run. Didn’t do to great but I did my best. I was the NICU ninja.

Not in denial, just would like some studies. Science is how we improve. Without studies we would never know sleeping on your back is the safest way for a baby to sleep. Without studies we would never know rear racing car seats prevent spinal cord injuries.

What gives you the right to state what is and is not labor intensive in an ICU. You haven’t spent 80-100 hour work weeks in an ICU so I don’t think you have much right to have any idea to talk about such things. You’ve never lost 3 patients in one shift. You’ve never gone hours on end without having time to eat or drink or go to the bathroom. And when you go to the bathroom you are grateful to have just 30 seconds of peace, until you get paged again. You have no idea what it takes to be a physician.

I never stated it wasnt more work to be on the ventilator, I was stating that you are entirely incorrect to believe it is not labor intensive to have a patient in the ICU on a nasal canula
I don’t think you have any idea what goes into an ICU stay. Yes a patient on a ventilator is labor intensive. RT has to check the vent every so often. The nurses have suction out the tube. The patient is on a sedation drip. I am not sure you are aware but nurses do ALOT. They help you to the bathroom, they give pain meds, they get you food and water, they listen to your stories. They are the Swiss Army knives of a hospital. All of those requests are very time intensive. An intubated patient makes none of those requests. I am simply stating a patient on a nasal canula who is dying is incredibly labor intensive. Just cuz they are on a nasal canula does not make a dying patient any easier. ANY patient that is dying is labor intensive. Have you ever taken care of a dying patient??? I didn’t think so. When a patient is dying you are at their bedside making decisions every couple seconds trying to keep them alive. Just cuz they are on a canula does not make that any easier. So what gives you the right to say what is easy and what is not in an ICU.

To say I am ignoring the dead bodies is hysterical. Physicians are the ones trying to save them

What gives you the right to say that a dying patient on a nasal canula is not labor intensive??? I await your answer.

Dude, you made it way further than I would have. My kids love American Ninja Warrior. They go to the local ninja gym all the time. Very cool.

As far as the rest of your post, I just want to say thanks for what you do. I’ve only been in the ICU at a hospital once when my friend was hit by a car. For me it was a terrifying place. You all do amazing work and everyone should be very grateful we have people who are willing and able to take care of us in our time of most need. It shouldn‘t be lost on anyone that part of the equation for keeping the hospitals from being overrun isn’t just how many beds or ventilators we have but having the people with the skills and courage to put in the hours and invest so much in their patients.

MissingDisney

@Rimmit
Thank you for devoting your skills, talents and energy to saving our littles. You are a blessing and a saint EVERYDAY.
Don’t waste your energy and time on internet nonsense. Save it for where it matters. Or ANW!
Some of us have been quite affected by this situation, to others it is still something they have only read or heard about. It’s not their fault and honestly, I envy them. Ignorance is bliss.
When it becomes personal, and by the time this runs its course, it will probably touch nearly everyone in some way as this is far from over, graphs, numbers, dates, theories, when will WDW open again, don’t really matter much.
And some people may really regret some of their posts.

Nubs70

On the subject of ventilators, I thought this was an informative article. One tidbit I found interesting is that some of the physicians quoted in the article think that ventilation can be a problem for Covid patients, regardless of how sick they are. There doesn't seem to be a consensus either way. Regardless, I think it's interesting and impressive to see how medical professionals are adapting and learning on the fly.
Ventilators are a serious problem with Covid. The use of ventilators is showing to have negative clinical outcomes. Best practice is to place patient in prone position to take body weight off of lungs. The U.S. does not have a ventilator shortage.

celluloid

I am a doctor. Believe me or don’t.

I am confused as to what I am in denial about? Patients are dying. That is obvious. They are dying on the ventilator. That is obvious. to say patients end up dead After being on the ventilator is the most obvious thing ever. Of course they end up dead on the ventilator. They are in respiratory FAILURE. Without BREATHING ASSISTANCE THEY DIE so they end up on the vent to try and prevent that. Its the same as saying everyone who got CPR died. Well to get CPR they had to have been dying. So they all got CPR. That is just an absurd argument.

I never stated it wasnt more work to be on the ventilator, I was stating that you are entirely incorrect to believe it is not labor intensive to have a patient in the ICU on a nasal canula
I don’t think you have any idea what goes into an ICU stay. Yes a patient on a ventilator is labor intensive. RT has to check the vent every so often. The nurses have to suction out the tube. The patient is on a sedation drip that needs to be monitored. You need to monitor blood gases.

I am not sure you are aware but nurses do ALOT. They help you to the bathroom, they give pain meds, they get you food and water, they listen to your stories. They are the Swiss Army knives of a hospital. All of those requests are very time intensive. An intubated patient makes none of those requests. I am simply stating a patient on a nasal canula who is dying is incredibly labor intensive. Just cuz they are on a nasal canula does not make a dying patient any easier. ANY patient that is dying is labor intensive. Have you ever taken care of a dying patient??? I didn’t think so. When a patient is dying you are at their bedside making decisions every couple seconds trying to keep them alive. Just cuz they are on a canula does not make the labor that goes into someone dying any easier.

To say I am ignoring the dead bodies is hysterical. Physicians are the ones trying to save them.

Thank you for all you do!
Doctors and Nurses are like Teachers and Paraprofessionals in Education to me. Their teamwork, specifically when kind to each other save and also educate even more lives. It's always easy for everyone to be armchair expert and not humbled.
People think they know infectious disease and curve charts just like everyone became Marine Biologists and Vet Techs when Blackfish came out.
You win American Ninja Warrior to me from the moment that clip started and I see your love and support. Besides the admirable profession, you have the love of family and friends!

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ventilators are a serious problem with Covid. The use of ventilators is showing to have negative clinical outcomes. Best practice is to place patient in prone position to take body weight off of lungs. The U.S. does not have a ventilator shortage.

No.

You're not allowed to look at a correlation and declare what the cause and effect is without testing that hypothesis. That's not how medical science works.

Consider this hypothesis: Any COVID patient whose breathing is so labored that they really can't breathe, and an oxygen mask isn't doing enough, is so far gone that ventilators are pretty much useless. Use a ventilator or not, they're certain to die.

*IF* that is the case, then ventilators aren't "a problem." They're just a solution that doesn't work. Ventilators aren't the cause of death.

Yes, I've read about the "sit them up" method of treatment theorized to be helpful because mostly of obesity making breathing difficult lying on one's back. I've not read about a scientific survey of the practice for its effectiveness. What percentage of them have survived and what percentage have died anyway?

Nor have I read about any clinical trials regarding the "sit them up" method.

Remember, clinical trials have been showing certain drugs not as effective as they were in the anecdotal stage of usage when they were being touted as surefire treatments for COVID. Turns out they weren't. So, don't claim ventilators are "a problem" and either a do-nothing or sit-them-up method is better. There's no scientific findings in that regard right now (that I know of).

WDW862

Yes, I've read about the "sit them up" method of treatment theorized to be helpful because mostly of obesity making breathing difficult lying on one's back. I've not read about a scientific survey of the practice for its effectiveness. What percentage of them have survived and what percentage have died anyway?

Nor have I read about any clinical trials regarding the "sit them up" method.

Sitting up does help with breathing, anyone with asthma can tell you this. It doesn't cure you, it just improves your quality of life.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And what is it with gyms?

Just about every national, state, and local guidelines or laws about what can or can't be open specifically mentions gyms.

When you say "essential services only," why mention that gyms are not essential services? No one goes out of their way to say that shoe stores aren't essential services. Or mattress stores. Or arcades. Or bowling alleys.

And even with the new Federal guidelines of "phases," in each phase they mention what the status of gyms are for that phase.

With how often gyms are mentioned right up there with grocery stores and doctors' offices you'd think that Americans would be much more fit than they currently are.

Will WDW give a breakdown of which parks and hotels are going to open each phase as well as whether the fitness center of that hotel will be open, because, you know... gotta let everyone know the status of the gyms.

TrojanUSC

Just about every national, state, and local guidelines or laws about what can or can't be open specifically mentions gyms.

When you say "essential services only," why mention that gyms are not essential services? No one goes out of their way to say that shoe stores aren't essential services. Or mattress stores. Or arcades. Or bowling alleys.

And even with the new Federal guidelines of "phases," in each phase they mention what the status of gyms are for that phase.

With how often gyms are mentioned right up there with grocery stores and doctors' offices you'd think that Americans would be much more fit than they currently are.

Will WDW give a breakdown of which parks and hotels are going to open each phase as well as whether the fitness center of that hotel will be open, because, you know... gotta let everyone know the status of the gyms.

Just my $.02 is that many of these stay at home orders are allowing people out to exercise, which is considered essential, right along with getting food. So it might therefore be extrapolated that gyms would be permitted to stay open, given that they provide an essential service (exercising). However, they are hotbeds for infection (sweat everywhere!) so they specifically state they are not considered essential.

Last edited:

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

Maybe there have been instances of gyms opening at the start of lockdown restrictions because they were not mentioned and considered themselves essential. Easier to list them than have to repeatedly close or answer questions about them.

zengoth

All outdoor queues in the Florida summer...that’s a great plan 😂
This looks like the new normal for every business - not just theme parks - for people to be queue-ing out the door as they limit folks inside. Queues outside at walmart and grocers, etc. Folks best get some hats and umbrellas to go with their masks and gloves.

Also read some of the "rules" for hair salons where customers are to "wait in their cars" until called - so that's sitting in the car with the engine running and a/c on as the new normal as well. (good thing gas is cheap for now).

Polynesia

This looks like the new normal for every business - not just theme parks - for people to be queue-ing out the door as they limit folks inside. Queues outside at walmart and grocers, etc. Folks best get some hats and umbrellas to go with their masks and gloves.

Also read some of the "rules" for hair salons where customers are to "wait in their cars" until called - so that's sitting in the car with the engine running and a/c on as the new normal as well. (good thing gas is cheap for now).
There are already quite a few outdoor ques at the theme parks so I fail to see it’s as big of a problem as others may see. Some do provide a bit of shade with trees and overhangs. Toy Story Land is mostly all outdoors and it does get hot. If that’s a serious problem for some folks with health issues it might be best to bypass coming down to Florida in the months with extreme heat. Later in the year the weather is much more pleasant and at times chilly. But looking at how crowded the parks are in the summer months it appears many guests do put up with the heat and humidity. 😊

Kevin_W

Here's a site that is trying to calculate Rt for each state. Interesting enough, it's from the co-founders of Instagram.

rt.live

And here is the calculation method they are using, if anyone is interested:

That was a pretty fascinating read - thanks for the post. you see a lot of these models posted, but it's quite interesting to see the math/statistical modelling behind.

celluloid

There are already quite a few outdoor ques at the theme parks so I fail to see it’s as big of a problem as others may see. Some do provide a bit of shade with trees and overhangs. Toy Story Land is mostly all outdoors and it does get hot. If that’s a serious problem for some folks with health issues it might be best to bypass coming down to Florida in the months with extreme heat. Later in the year the weather is much more pleasant and at times chilly. But looking at how crowded the parks are in the summer months it appears many guests do put up with the heat and humidity. 😊

It is not a concern about the rain for me but extreme lightning, sometimes every ten minutes in the summer months. So on the same day people have been in waiting extreme heat, you would have to close an outdoor attraction and ask everyone to leave the line, or at best an attraction that does not close ask everyone outside to leave the line and close it because they cannot permit have people wait outside with lightning risk. (In traditional operation it was already frustrating to guests who are asked to leave and have a line close on them due to lightning in the area with no rain or both.)

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The company's press release said it will purchase fresh produce and milk from farmers impacted by the COVID-19 crisis and donate the goods directly to Feeding America food banks that are in its "operating area." During the first week of the initiative alone, some 150,000 pounds of produce and 43,500 gallons of milk is expected to be donated, the company said."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom