Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilypgirl

What part of slowly reopening things is hard to understand. No is screaming at the top of their lungs to keep us on lockdown It is why the guidelines were put in place. You start with small businesses. Eventually places like Disney can open up. Its never been all, which a lot of you want or nothing.
I think he/she was referring to a specific post by a specific poster who is from their postings not behind anyone slowly reopening at this point in time but I could be completely wrong.

DisneyCane

There have been cases of the drivers getting a ticket when the toll system showed that they were speeding by the fact that the time they entered the toll road and the time they exited was too short to have been accomplished without speeding... and that happened before the computerized method when they had paper tickets and people in toll booths collecting money. So with EZpass it would be even easier if they were to decide to do it.

This can not legally be done with Sunpass in Florida. From the Sunpass terms and conditions:

"personal identifying information of account holders generally is exempt from disclosure under Florida’s public records law, pursuant to Section 338.155(6), Florida Statutes, and can be obtained by persons outside of FDOT or authorized law enforcement agencies only by subpoena or court order, except FDOT may share certain Prepaid Account information with operators of other toll facilities for toll payment, collection and notice purposes without obtaining a subpoena or court order"

If you go and read the statute that is referenced, the information can be disclosed for the purpose of collecting the tolls. To do it for a speeding ticket they would have to subpoena the records which would require probably cause. Probable cause would require an officer to observe the speeding so there is no point to trying to use the toll system.

I remember when Sunpass was first created this was specifically addressed because they thought the uptake rate would be lower if people thought the system would be used for traffic enforcement.

ImperfectPixie

Their actually is a percentage of people who want to keep us lockdown. It's like they think it's a debate or something.
I don't think we need to stay in lockdown...as long as people continue to practice safe hygiene and social distancing with masks when distancing isn't possible. My worry is for those who are still working, but are at high risk for severe symptoms and those who are currently not working, are high-risk, and are going to be called back to work. If their companies call them back to work, they have no grounds for refusal without disqualifying themselves from unemployment. Then it's up to the company to try to ensure they are protected, but that is almost never possible, either, because clients can't be counted on to be safe in a lot of cases.

DisneyDebRob

I don't think we need to stay in lockdown...as long as people continue to practice safe hygiene and social distancing with masks when distancing isn't possible. My worry is for those who are still working, but are at high risk for severe symptoms and those who are currently not working, are high-risk, and are going to be called back to work. If their companies call them back to work, they have no grounds for refusal without disqualifying themselves from unemployment. Then it's up to the company to try to ensure they are protected, but that is almost never possible, either, because clients can't be counted on to be safe in a lot of cases.
And follow guidelines of a steady decline for 14 straight days. Some can’t even adhere to that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Reporter: Reporting live at my house! It has been 40 days since President Trump has declared a national emergency over the Covid-19 Crisis. Mass hysteria has followed suit, toilet paper was stockpiled, mandated government shut down of nearly the entire economy and businesses. Attempts at limiting spread using social distancing AKA living in a bubble have been trendy but inefficient. the lethality rate keeps plummeting as we discover that most cases are asymptotic or where previously undetected. Meanwhile mass protests are pressuring government officials to stop the lockdown as economic depression looms.

As citizens and businesses fight for freedom continues, it is only a matter of time before the regulations are ignored and we are liberated.

Signing off to my social-distancing bubble, ~ Reporter.
Over 23 million Americans have lost their jobs. According to a new poll, 43% of workers total have either lost their job or lost wages. So of course people are going to question the decision making of leadership. That’s healthy. I have questioned them myself and as I continue to weigh what I have learned, I continue to support most decisions that have been made around mitigation, for now. But I definitely understand why others see it differently. Because we think differently. That doesn’t make them the bad guys.
I‘ve heard the statement repeatedly that the entire economy is shut down. If 43% of workers have either lost their job or lost wages that means 57% have not been impacted at all (from a wage standpoint). Doesn’t that mean the majority (more than half) of the economy is still functioning. I’m not trying to belittle the people who are out of work and unemployment is at never before seen levels, but the economy isn’t completely shut down. Not directing this at you two guys personally it’s just something I have observed over the course of this discussion and your posts highlight the discrepancy.

JohnD

This isn't the first mass disease. But nor will it be the last. At some point we need to start resuming "normal" daily activities, the workforce, etc. Staying on lockdown forever isn't sustainable.

thomas998

Just like at the Disney parks... the cheap comes out expensive. How much does it cost to bring in a military hospital ship and turn convention centers into hospitals?
I just wonder who is going to pay for the cleaning of the hotel rooms that were converted. Not to mention how long will it be before people even feel comfortable staying in a hotel that was used to treat coronavirus patients.

havoc315

Good information. :)

One point that I think makes a lot of sense is opening for state residents first then national then international. I don’t know if Disney could open more than MK and maybe a hotel or 2 for just FL residents but that would make the most sense. If things heat up it’s easier to trace cases if they are contained to 1 state. You also avoid the risk of people coming in from hot spots and spreading the virus. As states open on staggered timelines there’s no way WDW should allow guests from a state that isn't In phase 3 to visit. So if Florida gets there earlier than most states, open up to locals only. I’m sure that would anger out of state guests but its better to be safe than sorry:(

A loose plan is starting to take shape, based on rumor and known facts:

"Phase 1" & "Secure Circuit" -- Maybe sometime in mid to late May. Very limited re-opening.... more like a "soft open"... limited local attendance, as they test out the new procedures. Slowly get things up to speed. A couple Magic Kingdom hotels open.

Around June 1 -- open to national guests and the remaining hotels. They are still taking June 1 reservations in all hotels -- So we know Disney is at least *hopeful* that this can happen.

My guess -- Disney has outweighed influence on the "task force." Whatever they propose will likely be accepted by the state. They will propose starting to gradually bring back employees by early-mid May. (They will spend the rest of April determining how and when to bring back staff, how to re-train them, etc). They will propose some level of operations by mid to late May. Best case scenario, they will hope to expand to a national level by June 1, but I can easily picture that being pushed back as far as July 5. (to avoid a July 4th rush).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This can not legally be done with Sunpass in Florida. From the Sunpass terms and conditions:

"personal identifying information of account holders generally is exempt from disclosure under Florida’s public records law, pursuant to Section 338.155(6), Florida Statutes, and can be obtained by persons outside of FDOT or authorized law enforcement agencies only by subpoena or court order, except FDOT may share certain Prepaid Account information with operators of other toll facilities for toll payment, collection and notice purposes without obtaining a subpoena or court order"

If you go and read the statute that is referenced, the information can be disclosed for the purpose of collecting the tolls. To do it for a speeding ticket they would have to subpoena the records which would require probably cause. Probable cause would require an officer to observe the speeding so there is no point to trying to use the toll system.

I remember when Sunpass was first created this was specifically addressed because they thought the uptake rate would be lower if people thought the system would be used for traffic enforcement.
Same is true with EZ pass. It’s an urban legend. I did get a warning once for speeding through an ezpass toll lane. It’s wasn’t a ticket just a warning with a picture of my license plate.

Chi84

Premium Member
I have become increasingly depressed over the last ten or so pages with the hardening of opinions. My husband, who is a wonderful, kind, intelligent, generous man is 71. Like most people of his age he has some underlying health conditions but still maintains a positive lifestyle involved in the community and is a superb trumpet/cornet player. Yet according to my understanding of some comments I should be preparing to accept his death in exchange for having the right to not follow guidance, opening businesses with unnecessary haste to avoid people dying of hunger- in the USA? As a Brit I obviously have more faith in your great country than you do. I know that eventually everything will have to return to whatever the new normal is........but not at the expense of a generation who, along with the younger generations, paid their taxes, worked the horrible jobs for little reward and just want to enjoy their twilight years. To suggest that we simply stay away from places such as WDW is no different from saying that people of different ethnicity, religion or political ideologies should stay away and absolutely correctly that is illegal and more importantly immoral. This is not to underplay the anguish of business people who were doing well before the pandemic and are now in danger of losing everything they have worked for, probably for many years. But businesses can be supported by the government, the unemployed can be helped and in time jobs replaced. The love of my life could never be replaced, so please, please don’t be dismissive of accepting inconvenience or even intrusion into your virtual privacy no matter how unpleasant or repugnant you find it. I know you don’t intend for people to die because of actions taken but it could happen. Thanks to everyone, because everyone is doing what they believe is the best they can.

I realise that this post may be regarded as political, it is not intended as such, it’s just an honest personal perspective.
I don't think your post is political in the sense that is unwelcome here. In general terms, politics involves agreements between people on how to regulate their relationships so they can live together in society - your post seems to be in that nature. Everything about this virus involves regulation of behavior, so it's difficult to discuss it without some reference to politics. I think the type of politics we are being asked to avoid is discussion of particular political leaders and partisan political philosophy, especially in the area of how matters should or could have been handled better.

People crave certainty and predictability - that is particularly true of those of us who follow these boards and have been conditioned by WDW to plan our vacations to within an inch of our lives. Nothing about this virus is certain, and the landscape of knowledge seems to be changing every day. We just don't know enough to make valid predictions. WDW will open when the company decides the benefits outweigh the risks, and no one knows for certain what factors will be the deciding ones. As a business owner, Disney owes the highest duty of care to its patrons, but it is not an insurer of their safety. No one expects them to be. Ultimately, I believe that society - including WDW - will "reopen" and it will be up to us to decide individually whether or not to risk getting sick.

JohnD

I just wonder who is going to pay for the cleaning of the hotel rooms that were converted. Not to mention how long will it be before people even feel comfortable staying in a hotel that was used to treat coronavirus patients.

I would be more comfortable knowing that hotel was sanitized to the max. As opposed to your run of the mill hotel. Who knows whose been in the room before you and how well housekeepers keep it clean?

thomas998

Then people in Florida are lucky. And hopefully no state official will ever realize how much more revenue they could get if they started using the system to send out automatic speeding tickets... Does anyone know if Florida allow the traffic cameras and red-light cameras? I'm betting that once those get passed in a state that it becomes a slippery slope and very easy to pull in toll systems. I never underestimate the power of a government to embrace new methods to separate a person from their money.

havoc315

So we all stay shut in our houses until NY is ready to open? That is such an unrealistic and absurd thing to ask.

It's not a question of New York, it's a question of the whole country. Disney can't say, "we will take guests from Nebraska, but New York guests are prohibited" -- That would raise all sorts of legal issues.

So Disney can't really open to national guests until the infection rate is nearly non-existent (well below 0.1%) EVERYWHERE in the US.

With continued lock down, we could actually be there in another month or so. Unfortunately, with lots of states starting to "re-open" prematurely, it will make it harder to crush out the infection rate.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
It's not a question of New York, it's a question of the whole country. Disney can't say, "we will take guests from Nebraska, but New York guests are prohibited" -- That would raise all sorts of legal issues.

So Disney can't really open to national guests until the infection rate is nearly non-existent (well below 0.1%) EVERYWHERE in the US.

With continued lock down, we could actually be there in another month or so. Unfortunately, with lots of states starting to "re-open" prematurely, it will make it harder to crush out the infection rate.
I guess I don't see any issue with that :joyfull:

JohnD

When it makes medical sense...not when we’re bored or feel we need to resume our lifelong quest for more money...like Spaceballs 2

I said before: I would expect medical professions to advocate for total lockdown forever. And economists to demand the economy be open yesterday. But I wouldn't put total authority in one or the other. You talk about "lifelong" quest for money. Like it or not, our livelihoods depend on money. People need income. Therefore they need to work at some point. So total decision making authority can't be left totally to the doctors. And, yes, nor totally to the economists either. But we have to open up the country or we move into a full depression.

KineticMosaic

No...but don’t pretend that you don’t depend on New York and therefore don’t care. That’s not the real world we all live in.

I didn’t respond to the Cuomo snit post from a few days ago...because it was silly as he is undoubtedly one of the best leaders through this crisis...but the anti-new York stuff needs to stop. New Yorkers allowed to talk about frankly how stupid other states are acting...including these ridiculous protests...so they shouldn’t have to tolerate being blamed or belittle either. That’s fair.

Back to Disney.

You cant end a statement with "Back to Disney" and think that's all well and fine. Stating "he is undoubtedly one of the best leaders through this crisis..." is very opinionated and although Im not bothered by it many others will have different opinions. One of the most vocal and readily seen sure, but to your point its because New York is a major metropolis and market and many eyes are on it.

Incomudro

Why equate forever with a couple months? Why are we talking about personal freedom in a pandemic situation? Is a couple months without getting a massage forever? And the reason I said massage is because my state, good old Georgia, is opening up everything outside of six flags and it's going to be a cluster ......And who will be the first to cross the state line to Florida once Disney opens.......

I didn't equate forever with a couple of months.
Covid 19 won't be gone in a couple of months, nor will we have a vaccine.
We're not hiding inside 'till it goes away, because it's not going away.
When we are allowed to go back out, the death and infection rates will creep up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom