Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

Not entirely true, people are turned away all the time for attire that is against their dress code (profanity, too revealing, etc).

The bigger issue with masks is all the variables: What happens when you're eating? What if you need to catch your breath? What about on rides? Kids who refuse to wear one? What are the limits of permissibility.
Oh I have no doubt they might require to your wear one when you enter the park, but I also have no doubt that they won't police guests wearing it after they get into the park. Even if someone were to say, "hey put the mask back on," all you would have to do is say I'm having trouble breathing with it on... or I can't it fell off in the crowd and now its contaminated... why for the safety of the CM's they couldn't possible ask any to even go near a non-mask wearing guest I would expect you to be given a wide berth as you would be the potential viral bomb just waiting to explode with instant death on any poor soul that dared to get within 6 feet of you.

Lilofan

Don't shoot the messenger. In this analyst's model he has the parks closed through 2020 :( Just one guy who knows as much as any of us, but still really sad to see.

Unemployment and stimulus checks that will extend thru end of 2020? Winning Powerball is more realistic.

DisneyDebRob

Oh I have no doubt they might require to your wear one when you enter the park, but I also have no doubt that they won't police guests wearing it after they get into the park. Even if someone were to say, "hey put the mask back on," all you would have to do is say I'm having trouble breathing with it on... or I can't it fell off in the crowd and now its contaminated... why for the safety of the CM's they couldn't possible ask any to even go near a non-mask wearing guest I would expect you to be given a wide berth as you would be the potential viral bomb just waiting to explode with instant death on any poor soul that dared to get within 6 feet of you.
Just got back from a bi weekly trip to Sam’s club. It was a cool 65 degrees I would guess in the place. Was shopping for half hour tops. Could not wait to get out to the car and get the mask off. Can’t even imagine wearing one in Disney.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Not sure where in my post I said they should be shut down..? In fact I said a few times that I would not go if this or that happened. I think they should open when they safely can do it. Again, I will not go until my money is getting its worth. If anyone wants to go under any circumstance, go and have fun. Your welcome to reread my post again.
My response wasn't focused specifically at yourself but the general sentiment I've seen where a lot of folks just keep harping that they should keep it closed until they can operate exactly like it did before. That is not going to happen. When the parks begin to re-open, things will be different than they were before they closed and that is just the reality of things. Just like we saw lots of changes after 9/11 we'll see lots of changes after this. Some will be short-lived and some will be long-lived but there will be changes and that's just sort of the way it will be.

thomas998

Those Walmart queue outside are because they have decided to limit the number of people in the store at any one time. As one group leaves, they let another in. It's based on a model of X number of people in the store per 100 square ft of the store.
Well it is completely unnecessary where I live, at any given time I have driven past the walmart there is no group standing in the line... nor does that even make sense if the workers outside aren't told to only let someone in when someone else comes out. What you describe may be what it was intended to be for, but if they don't explain that to the people making sure you walk through the queue then it doesn't end up doing anything other than force people to increase their exposure chances by walking right behind another customer.

In fact why do you think that is the reason for the queue? Is there any link to an announcement by walmart as to why there are queues or is this conjecture created by someone that was guessing as to why they had the queues?

donsullivan

Premium Member
Well it is completely unnecessary where I live, at any given time I have driven past the walmart there is no group standing in the line... nor does that even make sense if the workers outside aren't told to only let someone in when someone else comes out. What you describe may be what it was intended to be for, but if they don't explain that to the people making sure you walk through the queue then it doesn't end up doing anything other than force people to increase their exposure chances by walking right behind another customer.

In fact why do you think that is the reason for the queue? Is there any link to an announcement by walmart as to why there are queues or is this conjecture created by someone that was guessing as to why they had the queues?
At one Walmart near me, that queue has brightly colored tape lines every 6 feet apart. Nowadays, 'most' people can figure out what that means without a manual

ImperfectPixie

There's more than one store doing that where we live...line forms outside with 6 feet between people, one comes out, one is allowed in.

peter11435

Always remember that every analyst opinion influences stock price. If they come out positively stocks react up, if they come out negatively stocks go down. Sometimes their impact is the intended purpose of the report more than accurate reporting and forecasting. They all have a bias and agenda.

Nobody knows when Disney will be able to successfully reopen. Not Iger, not Chapek, not DeSantis, not trump, and certainly not this guy.

What make January 1 2021 and better than august 1, 2020. There still won’t be a vaccine. So what changes between now and that arbitrary date?

DisneyDebRob

My response wasn't focused specifically at yourself but the general sentiment I've seen where a lot of folks just keep harping that they should keep it closed until they can operate exactly like it did before. That is not going to happen. When the parks begin to re-open, things will be different than they were before they closed and that is just the reality of things. Just like we saw lots of changes after 9/11 we'll see lots of changes after this. Some will be short-lived and some will be long-lived but there will be changes and that's just sort of the way it will be.
Exactly. It will be different. I just think we have a long wait. Few months ago we were talking about the yeti and why soda went up. Can you imagine the hate that will be coming out of some with the..” they had me stand here” and” I can’t get dining reservations because they are only half open”. But as you said, that’s probably the way it will open but I’ll wait.

Last edited:

thomas998

At one Walmart near me, that queue has brightly colored tape lines every 6 feet apart. Nowadays, 'most' people can figure out what that means without a manual
When their is no need to wait it means it is wasting people's time and forcing those people that park in the handicapped spaces to walk a lot more than they really need to walk. I'm hoping some of the more litigious handicapped people will file a lawsuit against them and maybe put an end to the nonsense.

Jrb1979

When their is no need to wait it means it is wasting people's time and forcing those people that park in the handicapped spaces to walk a lot more than they really need to walk. I'm hoping some of the more litigious handicapped people will file a lawsuit against them and maybe put an end to the nonsense.
In my country they let those to the front of the line.

thomas998

Always remember that every analyst opinion influences stock price. If they come out positively stocks react up, if they come out negatively stocks go down. Sometimes their impact is the intended purpose of the report more than accurate reporting and forecasting. They all have a bias and agenda.

Nobody knows when Disney will be able to successfully reopen. Not Iger, not Chapek, not DeSantis, not trump, and certainly not this guy.

What make January 1 2021 and better than august 1, 2020. There still won’t be a vaccine. So what changes between now and that arbitrary date?
Frankly if I was betting money on when things magically go away it wouldn't be based on any vaccine or cure, it would be based on when the elections are over with. I expect that the day after the elections in November the media will instantly shift gears and start pushing the back to normal mantra.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

They announced a while back a capacity limit. They have to have the queues or some form of line system in case the capacity is reached. I assume all stores have somewhat different policies depending on setup.

DisneyDebRob

Frankly if I was betting money on when things magically go away it wouldn't be based on any vaccine or cure, it would be based on when the elections are over with. I expect that the day after the elections in November the media will instantly shift gears and start pushing the back to normal mantra.
I’ll bet on the vaccine or cure.

electric

"analyst" aka......doesnt know anything

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
They announced a while back a capacity limit. They have to have the queues or some form of line system in case the capacity is reached. I assume all stores have somewhat different policies depending on setup.

We have had that sort of a policy from very early into our lockdown. Everyone knows what the queues are there for and get on with it. As a result we are now on the downward part of the curve with no new cases for three days now. Simple policies like these do help and aren't really that much of a problem.

thomas998

In my country they let those to the front of the line.
There has never been any line just an empty queue. When I was leaving walmart I actually heard someone that had parked in the handicapped spot arguing with the walmart employee as to why they had to walk around the tape line instead of just walking into the entrance, and no there was no one waiting in the queue the store and parking lot were still sparsely populated. Having a queue when there is no one waiting is as ludicrous as they are in Disney although at Disney they did have the common sense to create them in such a way that they can eliminate the need for people to snake back and forth for no reason when there is no line of people waiting.

donsullivan

Premium Member
The article says analyst John Hodulik believes that "the company won’t be able to reopen its parks until Jan. 1, 2021"

Predicting a Jan 1, 2021 open?!?!? Get real please.
Predictions are fine but let's not make absurd ones.
I have no specifics on this particular one but these sort of analyst reports are often done to drive the stock in one direction or another vs being based on any actually factual data. It happens all the time, especially with people who have created an opportunity to make money when the stock goes down. Don't pay any attention to that stuff, pay attention to what Disney says. We should start to see some indications of their thinking late this week as the local re-opening task force for the whole Central Florida economy makes its initial recommendations.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I’ll bet on the vaccine or cure.
I'm curious how people's response will be when/if a vaccine is made available. Will everyone willingly line-up for one, not knowing how well it was tested or what the long term effects will be? Will it be like the flu vaccine where they ask if you want one or you can opt out if you don't. Even with a vaccine, this thing will still be around it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom