Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

Most parks do but the fact the extended season passes to include next year says to me it that this season is probably mostly a write off.

That and they want do not anger their most loyal so they still come when a lot of the world will not be more frugal about where to travel or if overseas not able to travel or feel jipped and not ever renew again.
Prepare to see WDW AP discounts to possibly make a striking come back.

DisneyDebRob

If it makes people happy for laughing at others opinions, let them. I thought this was a Disney fan site and came here to hopefully get information from people “in the know” but am finding there are a lot of opinionated people here. 😳 I joined the other site as well and it’s a tiny bit better. I may stick to liking food photos. 😆
Not sure if it was really laughter or just a here we go again. Everyone has a opinion on openings and that’s fine. I think it’s just that people seem to move the date when opening as soon as their prediction didn’t take hold. We had end of March.. April 1st for sure.. then no way it won’t open by April 15th.. then the May 1 st guesses started.. followed by the end of May for sure. It will open at some point and everyone has a guess. With the amount of things need to happen I’m still sticking with August at the earliest. Hope I’m wrong as I said before and hope I get laughed at because at least they will be open. 🙂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If it makes people happy for laughing at others opinions, let them. I thought this was a Disney fan site and came here to hopefully get information from people “in the know” but am finding there are a lot of opinionated people here. 😳 I joined the other site as well and it’s a tiny bit better. I may stick to liking food photos. 😆
Any thoughts require a degree of balance. Pom poms are of little use in most cases. People are very strong in support of each other on a personal level here.

It doesn’t require Bowing to Disney (we are consumers and therefore it makes no sense to do so as it interferes with the market relationship...and they know that/exploit that)...or promoting this growing “I want my Disney back!” Undercurrent that turning slowly into a rip tide.

Extraordinary times call for more Brain power...not less.

As to your second part...I don’t think you’ll see much “credible” info on operations...yet. There are some hints...but this decision is huge for Disney...it’s being made solely by Iger and the board in Burbank in the interests of Wall Street.

Orlando is going to have to do as they say. That’s near always the case, but there should be little doubt now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure if it was really laughter or just a here we go again. Everyone has a opinion on openings and that’s fine. I think it’s just that people seem to move the date when opening as soon as their prediction didn’t take hold. We had end of March.. April 1st for sure.. then no way it won’t open by April 15th.. then the May 1 st guesses started.. followed by the end of May for sure. It will open at some point and everyone has a guess. With the amount of things need to happen I’m still sticking with August at the earliest. Hope I’m wrong as I said before and hope I get laughed at because at least they will be open. 🙂
Exactly...nobody wants to believe they’ll have to give up anything and that’s understandable as a human instinct.

But just from an observation standpoint...many want it “Open” simply to know it’s there. That seems to be heavily the choice of those who are local. I get that - the opening of wdw gives the hope that things just “reset” more quickly. But there’s been far too systematic loss in the overall economy for there not to be “tumbleweed” times in Orlando. That is a certainty...it happens in all recessions. Couple of “down” years ahead. It’s just how it is...

I don’t want it open until the experience can be somewhat decent. None of the current quick reopening plans provide that. If they did...i’d be within a month. But that’s not realistic now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They're refering to Cedar Fair and other seasonal park operators. They extended dates for passes because they're mostly only open from spring to fall and they would not make original intended opening date of the season. (spring opening).

This does not mean they won't be opening this summer. They just want to assure there loyals/passholders that they will get what they paid for.
I get that...I just haven’t heard any that have?

There are three big regional operators...I’m wondering if I’m lot of the loop on them?

celluloid

Which have? I haven’t been tracking it

Cedar Fa
I get that...I just haven’t heard any that have?

There are three big regional operators...I’m wondering if I’m lot of the loop on them?

Cedear Fair's Carrowinds and Knotts for sure have, others likely already have or will in their chain as stated.

Kentucky Kingdom, an independent smaller park announced yesterday that they would be reopening June 12th, but pulled the Press Release down at some point.

Storm

Exactly...nobody wants to believe they’ll have to give up anything and that’s understandable as a human instinct.

But just from an observation standpoint...many want it “Open” simply to know it’s there. That seems to be heavily the choice of those who are local. I get that - the opening of wdw gives the hope that things just “reset” more quickly. But there’s been far too systematic loss in the overall economy for there not to be “tumbleweed” times in Orlando. That is a certainty...it happens in all recessions. Couple of “down” years ahead. It’s just how it is...

I don’t want it open until the experience can be somewhat decent. None of the current quick reopening plans provide that. If they did...i’d be within a month. But that’s not realistic now.
I'm pretty sure even an opening in june or july wont be a pleasant experience , it will be severely limited and will make it not worth it. Adding to that the risk of actually catching the virus of course.

Disstevefan1

You're not made fun of , you're just not realistic to be entirely honest , and as I said just above , even IF WDW ends up being open , it wont be a fun experience because it will be severely limited , it wont be the WDW we know , it will be 1/10th of the usual experience if even that.

Agreed, I think WDW will be “open” on June 1, but to what extent, no one knows. They may want to technically open to resume taking payments for APs ....

DisneyDebRob

This. For me anyway. It’s to much of a financial commitment to go without enjoying all they have to offer. Believe me, I’m thinking about canceling my thanksgiving trip if it’s not fully open. Of course I’ll wait and see but with DVC use year up in February, I may have to go before then. Because I have to, not that I would want too.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
The climate in Orlando doesn’t allow for wearing masks all day...as the mechanics of amusement parks really doesn’t either.

The “on again, off again” approach hasn’t been recommended by any professional I’ve seen.

I’ll remind that none of the Asian parks have come close to reopening yet...and not a peep from euro where they’ve been far more serious collectively...

I’m not sure why the country with far more cases/fatalities thinks it has luck on its side. We are collectively acting like the crowd at WWE Smackdown.
There isn't a crowd at smackdown ( at the moment) 😉

GoofGoof

Premium Member

donsullivan

Premium Member
This. For me anyway. It’s to much of a financial commitment to go without enjoying all they have to offer. Believe me, I’m thinking about canceling my thanksgiving trip if it’s not fully open. Of course I’ll wait and see but with DVC use year up in February, I may have to go before then. Because I have to, not that I would want too.

But if they re-open and you don't like the conditions they are operating under you aren't forced to go. You can just delay your visit until the conditions evolve to a point where you are comfortable. I do not understand this philosophy that if you don't like how things might need to operate to allow them to restart operations they should just stay closed. That is simply not realistic.

DisneyDebRob

Don't shoot the messenger. In this analyst's model he has the parks closed through 2020 :( Just one guy who knows as much as any of us, but still really sad to see.

I wasn’t even thinking about the sports end of it if it’s delayed a long time. That’s another hit. Not real hard to believe some of the things he says.

thomas998

Like absolutely anything else a person could touch, it needs to either be cleaned at (very) regular intervals or engineered to be self-cleaning on a cycle. Seriously, if we as a population can't gather in groups AND we can't touch anything public ever again, we're going to have to be in self-imposed exile.
I understand completely. The problem is the media has created such hysteria that the amount of safety theater that is going on has become ridiculous. When I stopped at Walmart in search of the illusive toilet paper they had created a goofy queue you had to walk through to get to the entrance which snaked around the front... no reason I could figure as to why, the worker that were tasked with making sure customer snaked through it had no clue why it was there (at least when I asked they said they didn't know why it was there)... but the goofy line pretty much forced people to snake back and forth an extra 50 yards before it forced everyone to go through the exact same entrance that would have been used without the queue. Did it magically keep people safer? No, if anything it probably increased the possibility of anyone getting exposed to the virus because you spent more time walking directly through the path of other people that might have been shedding the virus.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I understand completely. The problem is the media has created such hysteria that the amount of safety theater that is going on has become ridiculous. When I stopped at Walmart in search of the illusive toilet paper they had created a goofy queue you had to walk through to get to the entrance which snaked around the front... no reason I could figure as to why, the worker that were tasked with making sure customer snaked through it had no clue why it was there (at least when I asked they said they didn't know why it there)... but the goofy line pretty much forced people to snake back and forth an extra 50 yards before you forced everyone to go through the exact same entrance that would have been used without the queue. Did it magically keep people safer? No, if anything it probably increased the possibility of anyone getting exposed to the virus because you spent more time walking directly through the path of other people that might have been shedding the virus.
Those Walmart queue outside are because they have decided to limit the number of people in the store at any one time. As one group leaves, they let another in. It's based on a model of X number of people in the store per 100 square ft of the store.

DisneyDebRob

But if they re-open and you don't like the conditions they are operating under you aren't forced to go. You can just delay your visit until the conditions evolve to a point where you are comfortable. I do not understand this philosophy that if you don't like how things might need to operate to allow them to restart operations they should just stay closed. That is simply not realistic.
Not sure where in my post I said they should be shut down..? In fact I said a few times that I would not go if this or that happened. I think they should open when they safely can do it. Again, I will not go until my money is getting its worth. If anyone wants to go under any circumstance, go and have fun. Your welcome to reread my post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom