Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

You’ve got the Riviera, a DVC resort, so it makes sense to open Skyliner quickly. The Caribbean Beach Resort is also on that line. That resort allows social distancing easier than done others due to it being spread out. Add in the demand for Studios newest attractions and its easy to see Skyliner will be in demand early on.
If you go by the plans for when they open only MK will be open at first.

PirateFrank

I've split out your comments because I think each points deserves individual kudos!

The climate in Orlando doesn’t allow for wearing masks all day...as the mechanics of amusement parks really doesn’t either.
Yeah, its weird....walk around in 90 degree high humidity heat. gonna have a lot of people passing out....and those are the physically fit folks. (we know WDW has a fair share of the not-so-physically fit folks, myself included) Plus, walking around a park 40k of your closest friends all sweating on everything they touch. The mask is going to be nothing more than a false sense of security....also, how are you going to trust that people use their masks and/or gloves properly? (see next point)

The “on again, off again” approach hasn’t been recommended by any professional I’ve seen.
I can't tell you how many people I've seen use a mask and gloves completely incorrectly over the past few weeks. People go into a store with a mask & gloves, touch everything and breath in whatever is in the air. Then after they're done, they go out to their car, open their car door with their tainted gloves, start their car with their tainted gloves, touch their steering wheel with their tainted gloves and drive off. Some take the mask and throw it face down on the passenger seat (tainting that), some leave it on. It's odd.

I’ll remind that none of the Asian parks have come close to reopening yet...and not a peep from euro where they’ve been far more serious collectively...

I’m not sure why the country with far more cases/fatalities thinks it has luck on its side. We are collectively acting like the crowd at WWE Smackdown.
Well said! I think the last thing to open in the US will be theme parks. Realistically, it'll probably be fall at the earliest.
I don't know what the hell I was thinking booking a trip in August. :oops: I'm not going to cancel just yet - but I think the August trip has about as much of a chance as happening as me getting a tinder date with Gal Gadot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You’ve got the Riviera, a DVC resort, so it makes sense to open Skyliner quickly. The Caribbean Beach Resort is also on that line. That resort allows social distancing easier than done others due to it being spread out. Add in the demand for Studios newest attractions and its easy to see Skyliner will be in demand early on.
Riviera isn’t the ideal DVC to start with...other than its bland pools nobody wants to go to. It hasn’t really been gangbusters selling...but that’s a different issue.

But that’s not what I’m saying:

Epcot is under construction and is very expensive to run...heavily laden with restaurants that may not be effective to operate yet...
MGM is to small have have distancing work the best food that’s your play

Boardwalk has amenities that may have to be drastically reduced or closed.
Beach and yacht have a pool complex that’s a nightmare.
AoA is a crowded mess disguised as a “valid”
Pop is a motel that holds a compacted mass of people
You would have to use the tiny back gate of Epcot to service your return crowds...it’s not designed for that...
Not exceptionally easy to go back and forth from springs

Let’s see...what else did I miss?

Oh yes...the magic kingdom is what people will want and animal kingdom has such a high guarantee cost that you’re better off opening it.

Polynesia

Riviera isn’t the ideal DVC to start with...other than its bland pools nobody wants to go to. It hasn’t really been gangbusters selling...but that’s a different issue.

But that’s not what I’m saying:

Epcot is under construction and is very expensive to run...heavily laden with restaurants that may not be effective to operate yet...
MGM is to small have have distancing work the best food that’s your play

Boardwalk has amenities that may have to be drastically reduced or closed.
Beach and yacht have a pool complex that’s a nightmare.
AoA is a crowded mess disguised as a “valid”
Pop is a motel that holds a compacted mass of people
You would have to use the tiny back gate of Epcot to service your return crowds...it’s not designed for that...
Not exceptionally easy to go back and forth from springs

Let’s see...what else did I miss?

Oh yes...the magic kingdom is what people will want and animal kingdom has such a high guarantee cost that you’re better off opening it.
I beg to differ that people don’t want Studios, also. The gates were jammed with guests waiting for hours every morning to get in for Star Wars Land. Magic Kingdom is a given for the little kids but people want Studios just as much

Jrb1979

I can’t fathom not opening Studios in the beginning. Guests need more than one park to go to. The demand is there for Studios.
The demand may be there but to do the measures that rumored to take place with social distancing etc they need as many CM's in one park as possible.

Polynesia

Just watched a YouTube video claiming word is being leaked out by Universal maintenance that it has plans to call back team members mid May and tentatively opening June sometime. Please don’t shoot the messenger. One point brought up in the video is that sharing opinions is a good thing but attacking others for theirs is not good.

Jrb1979

Just watched a YouTube video claiming word is being leaked out by Universal maintenance that it has plans to call back team members mid May and tentatively opening June sometime. Please don’t shoot the messenger. One point brought up in the video is that sharing opinions is a good thing but attacking others for theirs is not good.
I'm thinking that's for CityWalk. Just like Disney Springs will be open by then. The parks are another story when it comes to social distancing

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I beg to differ that people don’t want Studios, also. The gates were jammed with guests waiting for hours every morning to get in for Star Wars Land. Magic Kingdom is a given for the little kids but people want Studios just as much
I don’t say nobody wanted to studios...but it has far less demand than MK and DAK makes more operational sense except transport.

MGM is also significantly smaller than the others...making space more of a challenge than needs be at first. It’s also about 4 mainline attractions and two “new”
Lands with lines that aren’t really great...or did covid kill honesty these days? 🤔

Disstevefan1

I am sticking to my original prediction. Parks will open June 1. If sooner, all the better.

jmp85

Then don't open WDW.

(you think a week is too long, too bad- people just don't get tested instantly everyday, day after day. It doesn't happen, never gonna happen.)

It makes me chuckle to hear people say, "you'll get tested here, then get tested there, then get tested the next day." Like when people use "contact tracing" and "Orlando" in the same sentence.

Your plan made me chuckle.

Storm

I'm thinking that's for CityWalk. Just like Disney Springs will be open by then. The parks are another story when it comes to social distancing
There is always the option of being severe in the number of guests , I think opening the most expensive resorts first would be a good thing as I would assume (Its not fact and just my idea of it) that there are less people in those. It would basically be a basic test of how it would work in value hotels.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am sticking to my original prediction. Parks will open June 1. If sooner, all the better.
So you’re going with the naked gun “nothing to see here” timeline?

Cedar Fair bigger parks also still want to open this summer.
I haven’t heard a peep from six flags or AB parks...

But I gotta ask how that plays anyway? Sandusky Ohio perhaps... it the others are closer to more dangerous areas for spread.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
So I saw that Georgia is re-opening some businesses on Friday. Would you guys judge me if I drove down from PA to get a haircut? My calendar appears to be wide open. @Bill in Atlanta I may need a recommendation for a good barber shop ;)
Fellow Atlantean here, I've heard of this great place called great clips, its quite wonderful. Come on down!

Polynesia

So I saw that Georgia is re-opening some businesses on Friday. Would you guys judge me if I drove down from PA to get a haircut? My calendar appears to be wide open. @Bill in Atlanta I may need a recommendation for a good barber shop ;)
Lol. I understand your sentiment. I texted my hair stylist yesterday to see how she and her family are doing. Of course, I mentioned I’m looking forward to seeing her soon. 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom